Updated 8:29 p.m.

Yale has offered to rehire Corey Menafee, a dining hall worker who smashed a window depicting slaves picking cotton in Calhoun College last month.

Following Menafee’s resignation on June 21, hundreds in the Yale and New Haven communities have rallied to his side, raising over $24,000 for him and calling for his reinstatement. In a Tuesday morning statement, Yale announced that it would grant Menafee’s “request for a second chance at Yale” following a five-week unpaid suspension. The suspension would include time passed since June 21, so Menafee can “return to a position in a different setting” starting Monday.

“We are willing to take these unusual steps given the unique circumstances of this matter, and it is now up to Mr. Menafee whether he wishes to return to Yale,” the statement read.

On Tuesday evening, Menafee’s lawyer Patricia Kane released a statement saying that her client would accept the offer Yale made July 18 and would report for work at 11:30 a.m. on July 24.

Kane and Menafee were not immediately available for comment.

Vice President for Communications Eileen O’Connor said she did not have a comment on the acceptance as of Tuesday evening.

Earlier, Menafee told the News Tuesday afternoon that the two parties remained “at the beginning stages of negotiating.”

Menafee said the details of his offered reinstatement specified in the University’s statement were “fresh and new” to him after a reporter informed him of the terms. But O’Connor said she believes that Kane and Menafee were “presented with these terms.”

“I have nothing concrete, nothing to confirm this,” Menafee said.

Menafee said he was still attempting to draft a reinstatement agreement.

His lawyer Patricia Kane told the News that she was advising her client through the process, but that reinstatement negotiations ultimately fall between the University and Menafee’s union, Local 35. Kane dismissed the “inaccurate” and “inappropriate” statement, maintaining that the terms which say that Menafee could start work on Monday after a five-week suspension are not true.

“Two sides have to come to an agreement,” Kane said.”Unless Yale is saying ‘take it or leave it’ — in which case, we’ll leave it.”

O’Connor maintained that the University is “not going to negotiate in public.”

In a statement to the News Tuesday afternoon, Local 35 President Bob Proto said that Menafee, alongside union representatives, spoke with Yale yesterday.

“We stood firm in asking that the University rehire him,” Proto said. “We are now waiting on a draft agreement from Yale and will continue to stand with Mr. Menafee until he is back at work.”

News of the incident, Menafee’s resignation and following charges — which are now likely to be dropped — have ricocheted across Yale’s campus and the broader community. Demonstrators met him on the steps of the New Haven Courthouse July 12 carrying signs which called him a hero, while an open letter to University President Peter Salovey calling for Menafee’s reinstatement has garnered nearly 850 signatures.

The controversy fits into a broader campus debate surrounding Calhoun College, named after slave owner and white supremacist John C. Calhoun, class of 1804. Following months of debate and student rallies, University President Peter Salovey announced in April that the college’s name would not change. Calhoun College Head Julia Adams announced on July 5 that the college would remove several planes of glass depicting Calhoun from and rename its dining hall to honor Roosevelt Thompson ’84.

Menafee’s next court date is set for July 26.

• Lorenzo Black

This letter was submitted days ago – after the first Menafee article. Now today, the university has clearly taken the politically correct road rather than adhere to the respect and application of the rule of law.

An individual breaks the law, destroys private property and
    endangers the public in doing so. Any now Corey Menafee wants to roll back the
    clock, get back his salary and benefits and pretend that the illegal act never
    happened. All while claiming that the
    emotional and physical action – and disregard of the law – is somehow justified
    by the trauma imposed upon his race by societal and economic action/inaction.

The ‘law’ is the basic binder that cements and unites a
    society, and allows it to function in a manner that is fundamental, uniform and
    fair. The ‘law’ is definition of action. Once in place there cannot be
    arbitrary exemptions to compliance without weakening the intent and enforcement
    of the agreed upon norm that supposedly protects us all.

If Yale wants to assume the loss of the $2,500.00 panel,
    that is the universities decision. If
    Yale wants to drop charges created by the illegal action, that poses
    significant problems for university – both inside its hallowed halls and in the
    community. Giving Menafee back his job would be a mistake.

Is it now acceptable – as Yale Human Resources policy
    exemption – for a Yale employee to do up to $2,500.00 damage and endanger the
    public – and still keep their job without penalty? How will a decision to
    reinstate Menafee affect previous /ongoing HR employment decisions /litigation
    concerning Yale employees? How many
    problems would the ‘Menafee loop-hole’ precedent create for university policies
    today and in the future?

How would the decision not to press charges affect the
    actions of other non-Yale individuals
    who somehow make the same contentions as Menafee when destroying /damaging
    university property. Just how is the
    University police force supposed to react when their legally-justified actions
    are negated by higher-up’s political correctness?

As did Voltaire, I can support an individual’s right to
    their beliefs. I cannot support Menafee’s decision to knowingly violate the
    law, and not accept the ramifications of that act – including losing his job.
    For the University to create a ‘Menafee loop hole’ in its policies and actions
    would be a mistake – and an affront to the acceptance of ‘law’ as the
    fundamental binder that holds us all together.

• Patricia Kane

The press release issued by Yale falsely reports that my client will return to work on Monday. Any issue around a “suspension”, plus any and all terms for a resolution of this matter will be negotiated by Local 35, FUE Unite Here and Yale.
    It is misleading to say it’s all up to Mr. Menafee whether he returns to work. If this is a way of saying “take it or leave” and letting Yale dictate terms, this is not a negotiation and will not heal the rift that Yale has created within its own community.
    Yale cannot dictate terms to my client.
    This is not a good faith process.

• Gregale

Tom Wolfe couldn’t write better farce than this.

• 100wattlightbulb

Absolutely disgusting, considering there are many options and he chose to behave like a toddler. Wonder what happens if a student ever mouths off to him?

• ShadrachSmith

This story is so…Yale.

• Ralphiec88

Of course he’ll accept it. In the real world outside of Yale, no one will hire him.

• marcedward

Sure, he has a history of violence, why not keep him around students?

• Tommy Terd

Menafee was unavailable for further comment. He was last seen searching for other offending artwork, books, statues and graffiti postings.

• rick131

Throw the guy out. Unbelievable. Yale is probably going to end up paying him. Political correctness gown awry.