Updated: June 28

A teammate of former men’s basketball captain Jack Montague has started a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for the expelled player’s legal fees.

Nick Victor ’16 started alongside Montague for the first 20 games of the season before Montague was expelled in February for violating the school’s sexual misconduct policies. On June 9, Montague filed a lawsuit against the University and claimed that his treatment had been “wrong, unfairly determined, arbitrary, and excessive by any rational measure.”

Victor wrote that Montague was “wrongfully accused” and “doesn’t deserve this treatment.”

“Just months from graduation and weeks before our basketball team clinched an Ivy League title, Jack Montague was forced to leave school and abandon his team in light of a university sexual assault investigation that presented no evidence that proved his guilt. Not only was Jack stripped of a Yale degree which he had worked over three and half years to earn, he was also denied the once in a lifetime opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament alongside his teammates,” Victor wrote on Fundly, a crowdfunding website where he launched the campaign this week. “He is now in a time of need, so I have created this fund to allow his supporters to provide help.”

He acknowledged the importance of Title IX regulations, which form the basis of University procedures for investigating sexual misconduct, but wrote that “rules that deny the accused of a just trial are indication of regression, inequality, and injustice.”

The Fundly also included an excerpt of a statement Montague’s lawyer made in March when announcing his intent to file a lawsuit, a letter published that same month by Montague’s high school basketball coach Dennis King in support of the player and the lawsuit itself.

Victor did not return a request for comment Thursday. As of 9 p.m. on Tuesday, June 28, the campaign had raised $655 toward its $75,000 goal. The fundraiser will close on Dec. 29, 2016, according to the website.

The basketball team drew criticism earlier this year for demonstrating support for Montague after rumors of his expulsion began to circulate. In a Feb. 26 home contest against Harvard, 16 days after Montague was expelled, the team took to the court wearing T-shirts with the former captain’s nickname and number on the back. The following week, posters appeared around campus condemning the team for “supporting a rapist.”  

Neither Montague’s lawyers nor the public relations firm working with them could be reached for comment.

• Muhammad Ali Kamal

Jack Montague expelled for violating into school’s sexual misconduct policies in June 9.

• Muhammad Ali Kamal

Jack Montague expelled for violating into school’s sexual misconduct policies in June 9. He was excessive ” wrongfully accused” into school.

• ShadrachSmith

About time. “Wrongfully accused” is the Alinsky #4 complaint. Star Chamber didn’t even follow their own rules…which demonstrates malice.

• Bobby Obvious

Huh, so comments turned on here, but not for previous Montague articles?

• James Goodwin

Title IX needs to be revamped to allow and mandate that due process be followed scrupulously in all college investigations of sexual assault. That means allowing the accused to bring their lawyers to the trial that took place against Jack Montague. And allow parents of the accused to be present at the trial as they are the ones who fund their child’s education. Even if the victim chooses not to file a police report and did not want the case to proceed on further under Yale’s jurisdiction, Yale should have respected her wishes and let it alone.
    Obama has a bigger problem when his wife, also a trained attorney, insists the Education Department force more colleges to enforce Title IX sanctions sans due process against college age males accused of sexual assault in consensual situations. Doesn’t Michelle Obama understand how due process works in this country?

• Bobby Obvious

One of many lawsuits – Title IX is fine, but Title IX 2011 Dear Colleague letter is unconstitutional and allows the Executive Branch too much power. 2011 DC and all related follow on letters should be revoked. Schools are not courts and have failed miserably and consistently.

• Dittersdorf451

One hopes that someone who defends the Title IX processes will explain why it was right for Yale to mislead the complaining witness and fail to follow its own guidelines with respect to the role of the Title IX coordinator. I am not holding my breath.

• Dittersdorf451

As of July 2nd, over three thousand has been raised.

• Dittersdorf451

The newest iteration of the Spangler Report leaves out the indication that the Title IX coordinator will only file charges under rare circumstances (as recently reported by KC Johnson at Minding the Campus). One wonders whether or not this change is related to the Montague case. Montague’s case cannot be shoehorned into any of the categories Yale initially envisioned for when a coordinator would file.