Connor Bush, an Old Saybrook, Conn. teenager who was accidentally shot in the pelvis in Madison Sunday night, confessed on Monday to falsifying his story to New Haven Police.

Bush, who was admitted to Yale-New Haven Hospital Sunday night, first told police that he had suffered the injury while looking for his car after leaving Toad’s Place with his friends that night. In subzero temperatures, police searched the York Street area surrounding the nightclub but found no evidence of a shooting.

Bush revealed Monday evening in an interview with police detectives that he had actually been shot by a friend in Madison. Madison police have been notified and are investigating.

According to Bush’s original story, he and his friends left Toad’s Place and could not find their car, which he said was parked some distance from the nightclub. As they neared their car, they encountered a group of three or four men, he said. When they heard a gunshot, Bush and his friends got in the car and drove off, he told police. He claimed that he was shot as the car drove away from the scene.

Bush did not describe the people responsible, and told police he was not familiar with the area where he heard the gunshots therefore could not identify where the shooting occurred.

Correction, Feb. 16: A previous version of this article misstated Connor Bush’s hometown.

FINNEGAN SCHICK