JB Baker ’18, Boca Raton, Florida

Fashion3Let me tell you something. There’s no nobility in bad style, and JB Baker certainly has none of that. His outfits are so debonair, even his professors are taking notes, and already Wall Street has him pegged the future wolf of the financial district and Fifth Avenue. Despite brief phases in his early years where he paid little attention to his outfit selections and even temporarily embraced the Floridian surfer aesthetic, he quickly acclimated to the preppier fashion climate when he entered Exeter. He elaborated on his evolving look: “In one word I would describe it as versatile. I still wear many preppy items from boarding school, but that is only a small part of the bigger picture.” That (very good-looking) picture includes a bracelet he cannot go a day without. “It says ‘I Promise’ and it is from the Lebron James Foundation, a charity focusing on helping children from low-income families graduate and go onto college. It is really important to me because Lebron actually handed me it after a game where he was wearing it, and I like to wear it because it motivates me to be the best I can be.” At the end of the day, nobody knows if stock will go up, down, sideways or in circles, but rest assured, JB will forever treat your eyes with his dashing good looks and style. If I could invest in his style, I would. JB Baker: Stability. Integrity. Pride.

Helen Price ’18, Wales, United Kingdom

Fashion1The sun will (probably not) come out tomorrow (since it’s New Haven), but bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, Helen Price will look ravishing again. Just thinkin’ about tomorrow, but mostly Helen, clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow ’til there’s none. Before this beauty began crafting a look she describes as a “fusion” of “Peter Salovey [and] rappers’ girlfriends,” she spent many years confined to a school uniform, trademarked by “a hideous maroon kilt.” Helen added, “Until I was about 15, I also had glasses, braces and very short ginger hair. It’s been a long and difficult aesthetic journey to where I am today.” Where is she today, other than on the page of the YDN you recently cut out and taped to the ceiling above your bed? She’s dressing for the future job she not only desires, but also deserves: a “Russian Oligarch’s Mistress.” Unsurprisingly, her favorite place to shop is called the Naked Wardrobe. She remarked, “They, like me, believe that there’s no such thing as ‘too low’ when it comes to necklines.” No one would mind if she started donating the £’s she spends on apparel from there to an orphanage, and cut the wardrobe out entirely. Truth is, when I’m stuck with a day that’s grey and lonely, I just pull up a picture of Helen in an American flag one-piece bathing suit and grin and say, ohhh. When asked about style advice, Helen replied in her eloquent British tongue: “Wear whatever the hell you want.” Helen, Helen, I love ya Helen, another flawless outfit (or lack of one) is only a day away …

Ron Tricoche ’18, New York, New York

Fashion4Uh uh, uh uh, think I need some Ron-bitussin. Tricoche’s style is simply that sick. I’m not trying to get him too strung out on compliments and overdosed on confidence, but the reality is, when Ron rises in the morning, he goes from 0–100 real quick. Growing up, he didn’t really gravitate towards anything. He remarked, “I kind of just put on whatever my mom came home with from time to time. I didn’t always have style.” When his mother catches him showcasing a piece of clothing she likely selected for him in this article, she’ll undoubtedly say: “I’m so, I’m so, I’m so, I’m so proud of you.” Still, if you ask Ron if his mother still picks out his clothes, he definitely won’t reply, “I’ll admit it. I’ll admit it.” Rather, this handsome gentleman will flash a glimpse of some skinny or husky jeans, Timberland boots and one of his signature hats and remark: “No help, that’s all me, all me for real.” When I asked him, “Oh you fancy, huh?” he followed up with his belief to never sacrifice comfort for fashion: “Sacrificing comfort for fashion is sacrificing happiness. I rock some sweats if I have to.” Sweatpants, his hair tied, and chilling with no makeup on: I think that’s when Ron’s the prettiest; I hope he don’t take it wrong. On advising others on how to achieve a level of cleanliness so fresh their clothes must be right out of the dryer, Ron remarked: “Don’t conform to any one way of dressing. People have too many different moods or things to dress for to have just one way. In my opinion style is something that happens organically as you develop as a person. There are different parts to a personality, so your clothing should just be an extension of that.”

Katelynn Kyker ’18, Carmel, Indiana

Fashion2In case the little kid at the end of Macklemore’s song “Thrift Shop” ever encounters Katelynn Kyker and feels inclined to ask, “Is that your grandma’s coat?” her response will be, “Yes.”

There are not many individuals who can wear an article of clothing that their grandmother refuses to wear because it “isn’t stylish enough” and look so radiant the snow literally evaporates right off the ground in their presence. For years, Katelynn has made a point of showing others she can wear their clothes better than they can. As a child, she wore her brother’s old garments, and was often actually mistaken for a boy because of her short hair at the time. Since, Katelynn’s wardrobe has moved in a more mature direction — towards that of a senior citizen. She opts most days for her signature look, bold leggings and a sweater that brilliantly showcases her chiseled physique, piercing blue eyes and effortlessly perfect blonde locks. This may come as a shock, but when questioned where she likes to shop most, she replied, “My friends’ closets. I don’t have a sister, so it’s fun to have an infinite variety of clothes to choose from now.” First it’s her brother’s closet, then it’s her grandma’s. Next it’s yours. When asked who inspires her style the most, she professed Natalie Pompos. Unfamiliar with this individual, I grabbed a mirror and checked her out. Yep. Pretty inspiring. The reality is, when someone is as remarkable as Katelynn Kyker, it’s impossible to be jealous when they look better than you in everything they wear — even if it’s yours.

NATALIE POMPOS