Brianna Loo

This article has been updated to reflect the version that ran in print on Dec. 7.

Erika Christakis, the associate master of Silliman College whose Halloween email to students sparked conversations about race and discrimination on campus, will no longer teach at Yale.

In an email to The Washington Post, Christakis said she cancelled her spring course “The Concept of the Problem Child” — which drew large crowds during shopping period when she also taught it this fall — in response to a campus climate not “conducive to the civil dialogue and open inquiry required to solve our urgent societal problems.”

A lecturer of psychology and early childhood development, Christakis drew ire from students last month for her Oct. 30 email to Silliman students criticizing the discouragement of culturally appropriative Halloween costumes. Her message bemoaned what she called an increasingly censorial and prohibitory climate at American universities. This semester, in addition to “The Concept of the Problem Child,” Christakis is also teaching “The Growing Child in Global Context.” She did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway said that as a lecturer, Christakis is paid per course, so she can decide whether to teach each semester. Holloway said she made the decision “on her own.”

“It makes the situation more straightforward from a [human resources] point of view,” Holloway added. “I don’t have much to add to her decision.”

In the spring, Christakis will instead spend time publicizing her new book “The Importance of Being Little,” set for release on Feb. 9. According to the Penguin Books website, Christakis is scheduled to visit five different bookstores across the country after the book’s release.

Erika Christakis’ husband Nicholas Christakis told the News that he will take a sabbatical this spring, cancelling his popular lecture “Health of the Public.”

Erika Christakis’ “Concept of the Problem Child” covered controversial issues in contemporary America. The syllabus for the course includes books on gender, race and teenage pregnancy. Nearly all the reviews of Christakis’ classes are extremely positive.

“Professor Christakis is, hands down, my favorite professor that I’ve had while I’ve been here,” wrote one student on the course’s online evaluation.

“Erika is a joy, and a generous person and pedagogue,” wrote another.

Among the demands made by Next Yale, a fledgling campus activist group that addresses issues of race on campus, was the removal of Nicholas and Erika Christakis from the positions of master and associate master of Silliman College, respectively. The demands, presented to University President Peter Salovey at his home at around midnight on Nov. 12, do not mention the Christakises’ roles as Yale educators.

On Nov. 17, Salovey and Holloway wrote that they “fully support” the Christakises’ mastership in a joint email to Silliman students.

Two open letters published last months by various professors — one supporting student concerns about racism and marginalization, and another standing in solidarity with the Christakises — gave voice to multiple sides of a heated debate over free speech, sensitivity and racism on Yale’s campus. The first letter was signed by several hundred faculty members, including the Christakises. The second, authored by physics professor Douglas Stone and signed by 69 faculty members, said those who have mounted a campaign against Erika Christakis have reduced the “educational variety”  for all Yale undergraduates.

“As faculty colleagues we wish to express our strong support of the right of Erika and Nicholas Christakis to free speech and freedom of intellectual expression,” the letter stated.

In past years, hundreds of students shopped each of Erika Christakis’ classes, Stone said, adding that she planned to teach additional seminar sections this year to handle the demand. He added that attacks, not just on Christakis’ email, but on her character and integrity as well, have led to her decision not to teach. Stone said he encouraged Christakis to reconsider her decision to stop teaching after a “cooling off period.”

Although Stone said he welcomes criticism by students and faculty as part of a respectful dialogue, he said he thought the response to Christakis’ letter unfairly characterized her words as racist.

“It goes without saying that faculty using racial epithets or harassing speech … should not be tolerated or defended in any way,” Stone said. “I don’t think that is at issue in the current situation.”

Sarah Householder ’18, who is currently taking Christakis’ “The Growing Child in Global Context” seminar, said that the protests changed the energy in the classroom. Householder said Christakis became “hesitant” and “distracted” after she took a week off during the most intense student protests.

Householder added that the class had engaging, serious discussions about issues of child development around the world.

Leah Meyer ’18, who said she wanted to take “Problem Child” before graduation, said Christakis’ announcement was disappointing.

Meyer questioned Christakis’ decision to stop teaching. If Christakis feels that open dialogue and debate is important, she questioned, why is she choosing to remove herself from that dialogue?

“That, to me, is frustrating,” she said. “I’m not saying she made the wrong decision, I’m just saying that it’s unfortunate. Just because I think that she should remain on faculty and continue to teach does not mean that I condone all her actions.”

Erika Christakis is a lecturer at Yale’s Child Study Center.

• 72bullldog

What a sickening development. What a disgrace to Yale. The Christakis’ can’t teach but “shrieking girl” has lots of support I bet.

• ldffly

Salovey said no student will be punished. So that settles shrieking girl’s fate. In 10 years, you might see her on a C-Span Booknotes program.

• Matthew Larson

“a student”?! How are you not even going to name the person who did the real leg work for this story? Helicopter reporting at its finest.

• Kazimierz Bem

The Red Guards have won! Shame on Yale.

• http://www.TheRalphRetort.com Seattle Truth

Sad to hear, but I understand why she did it. She’s sick of being terrorized by censorious hooligans. We are truly in the midst of a Maoist cultural revolution.

• http://www.artspace.com/magazine/interviews_features/lists/the-10-worst-ways-to-die-in-a-hieronymous-bosch-painting-53872 Hieronymus Machine

“I will not be teaching at Yale in the future,” she told Business Insider [est. by Henry Blodget ’88] .

“I have great respect and affection for my students, but I worry that the current climate at Yale is not, in my view, conducive to the civil dialogue and open inquiry required to solve our urgent societal problems,” she said in an email to The Washington Post.

“American universities were once a safe space not only for maturation but also for a certain regressive, or even transgressive, experience,” she wrote Oct. 30. “Increasingly, it seems, they have become places of censure and prohibition.”

Disgusting. No, not Ms. Christakis’ thoughts — but the outrageous response of some Yale students (I will no longer call them Yalies) and administrators, and the NON-response, admittedly afeared, from others. Yale’s Maoist/Marxist worms know not what they have wrought; their manipulated participation in — rather than origination of — this ironically derivative cultural revolution is a shame to see and, IMO, a signal of the end times (metaphorically/academically speaking). They don’t even understand their mimicking of the past, that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Eat it, you ’60s “radicals.” [Trigger warning: violent metaphor] Spare the rod, spoil the child. The saddest part, though? As the knife slips in at last, those who brought it choose to cower rather than recant. Niemöller: “Then they came for me.”

Bow down to your new insect overlords.

• annette

Very appropriate quote!

• akihirochan

Good decision, Mrs. Christakis! It would be great if you could go a step further and resign from your post as Associate Master of Silliman.

• Ralphiec88

If you were more perceptive, you’d realize that the Christakises are leaving. Then again, if you were more perceptive, you would not be celebrating their departure.

• annette

Why am I not surprised that akihirochan is not more perceptive?

• matt10023

I’m sure whoever they find to replace her will be perfect. Step 1. Ensure all students know and become ashamed of their privilege. Step 2. Make sure they all apologize for every transgression done in the last 10,000 years. Step 3. Stop studying difficult and useful courses, and major in something that ends with “studies”.

• Greg Thrasher

You mean Confederate Studies

• Ralphiec88

It’s no surprise that the Christakises are leaving. They have been sacrificed by a president more concerned about being “Mizzoued” than about leadership in time of crisis. A true leader would have promptly said “We must respect and understand our differences, but it is absolutely unacceptable to surround and curse at another human being or to spit on those with whom we disagree. That is not what Yale is about.” “He would have said “This nation still has a long way to go on racial equality. Yale is at the forefront of that from our admissions process to our on-campus services. However we welcome constructive dialog on how to make that even better.” Instead Salovey issued belated limp statements of support for the embattled professors and vague statements of solidarity with the protesters before punting a few million dollars to cultural centers without the slightest plan as to how that would be used to advance racial equalty at Yale.
    What will be the result? Attracting the best faculty becomes harder when a professor’s basic right to respect can be traded away. The effect on admissions will be subtle since Yale rejects so many applicants currently. But the top students with a choice of which Ivy to go to will be looking elsewhere. (Trustees take note of yield numbers this year). Even the protesters lose. As young adults they are still developing the perspectives and interpersonal skills they will need as graduates, and they are poorly served by the disingenuous and perennially outraged “leaders” of the protest movement and the craven and waffling role models in the administration. All indicators point away from excellence. That is a legacy that Yale will pay for in years to come, and one that calls into question whether Salovey can continue.

• 100wattlightbulb

The effect is real and now. My brother (NMSQT) will NOT be applying to Yale. He was on the fence, because the Ivies ditched merit scholarships a while back. This cinches it. Yale can enjoy its “diversity” at the cost of academics, professors, and integrity.

• annette

Kudos to your brother. It is Yale’s loss.

• Greg Thrasher

Yale is a better place now …. Good!

• annette

This Yale president is a disaster.

• ldffly

I thought Levin had troubles. This man is worse.

• ShadrachSmith

Salovey is the local SJW High Sparrow intentionally loosing the dogs of Jacobin street theater. Don’t look to him for a change of direction. Some observe that through a long series of unfortunate circumstances universities are now almost entirely populated by free-range packs of SJW wolves gorging their fill among carefully vetted and justifiably terrified sheeple. I would never say that, but some people might.

• rainman

I agree. Salovey’s responses have been uninspiring and timid. I also wonder where is faculty’s voice? Only about 70 faculty signed the letter supporting the Christakis’s right to free speech. Do they fail to realize where this scenario is headed? Good luck teaching when your time is dominated by dealing with “micro-aggression” sensitivity instead of dialectic in the classroom.

• Juan Diaz

Sad day at Yale when a member of the Yale faculty cancels her courses because a civil dialogue is no longer possible to discuss urgent societal problems given the current political climate at Yale and the administration’s abdication to mob rule. I cannot blame Professor Christakis for canceling her two courses. I could not teach in the environment created by Next Yale. If this is truly the next Yale, get me off this bus right now. This is nothing short of fascism in its worst form.

• Debbie

The special snowflakes are winning. It’s probably just a matter of time before we can no longer criticize or mock them on these pages.

• jamesgd

but the special snowflakes are the ones who cant stand up to dissent or ignore what offends them. that describes what christakis is doing now.

• Ralphiec88

No it doesn’t. The Christakises are making an obvious employment decision based on their work climate. No professor of any stature is going to stay in a place where he or she can be abused without repercussions for the abusers, and where the administration is unwilling or unable to lead.
        So how about you? Do you really see no difference between dissent and surrounding and cursing at a professor? What about spitting on people?

• jamesgd

she wasnt cursed at and spit on. shes paid to be there, whereas the students pay to be there. i think if we’re giving people passes for climates theyre averse to, at the very least, the concerns of paying customers should carry as much weight–if not more.

• Ralphiec88

Your attempts to avoid obvious truths are getting silly. No one at Yale is paid to take abuse. The Christakises are married, they’ll leave together. Cursing someone or spitting on someone is not the same as “dissent”. Work climate, such as whether someone’s management is doing an effective job, matters. Being a “paying customer” doesn’t entitle you to abusive behavior, students are not “paying customers”, and many are not paying full boat or at all. Students will soon face a reality where disingenuousness comes with a much greater cost than it does today.

• Debbie

In almost any other place of business, a paying customer having a shrieking tantrum in the face of an employee would be asked to leave and not come back, and get escorted out by police if she didn’t.

Yale permitting such antics probably crosses the line between allowing free expression and creating a hostile work environment (it definitely crosses the line if it’s a pattern), which is frowned upon by state and federal employment law.

• Bobby Obvious

Well, at least one student was caught on video literally cursing and shrieking at her husband. The spitting was on attendees for a free speech discussion around that time. Easy to be confused, right?

Also, the students demanded Christakis and her husband resign for the Silliman roles, true? She just took it one step further. Look, in the real world, people exercise their employment options when faced with ugly situations. She’s a respected professor with many options. Students had to think that their bad behavior (and resignation requests) would have some effect. Next time say, “look, sorry for the screaming, the cursing and the resignation request. See, we wanted to silence you for everything BUT your lectures. Please stay.” LOL

The lack of self-awareness is mind-boggling.

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

Off target. While the actual funds flow here would be rather interesting, money is not the issue. And to view students mainly as paying customers would be to ignore the greater rationale for a university or collegium.

• Howard Wyrick

It was her husband who was cursed and screamed at by the social justice warriors. Look it up.

Yes, today’s college crybabies using racism, epithets and segregation to fight racism, epithets and segregation. Brilliant. In the end, the reality is that the youngsters in these protests do exactly what they accuse others of doing, justifying it with the same failed argument every mob uses, that they’re right because others have done it. Wow, that’s amazing. Two wrongs make a right.

As a government cyber admin who sits on hiring and promotion boards every month, it would weigh heavily in the process knowing that applicants had participated in this type of harassment and intimidation of someone in a management position. A huge red flag, not to mention the matter of background clearance for SC and TS level.

The best hope for a fruitful employment future for these warriors is holding down a chair at a leftist think tank or a teaching position at a school with a spineless administration.
            Some advice, they should stay away from government and military employment. Political incorrectness is a fact of daily life.

People are rude and insensitive.No one cares what color you are or what you think society owes you. In fact, the real world, the one made up of plumbers, secretaries, fire fighters, auto mechanics, just about every trench worker who makes the world go around, is not going to tolerate the lemming, mob mentality and privileged self-absorbed intolerance of these children.

Outside the cocoon they’re in right now, real people have real work to do and don’t have time to deal with selfish brats. Some clarity…how many people out in the real world, the cab drivers, food service, sanitation workers, do these kids depend on every day, walk past every day, overlook and ignore every day? They’re going to find out when they walk out the gate for the last time. Then they will owe the real world, the real people an apology.

• Bobby Obvious

Let’s be honest. Her husband was cursed at, and we all saw it on video. Second, the students asked her and her husband to resign from their roles in Silliman. She just took it one step further and no one (except for a set of privileged Yale students) is surprised.

Now as to the customer/employee comment…let’s go there. In the real world, highly qualified people have options. Thus, when a job is no longer enjoyable, those individuals can leave for a better opportunity. There is no fairness argument about paying customers. It is up to the employer to create an environment that retains employees and makes customers happy. Given this comment, “It makes the situation more straightforward from a [human resources] point of view,” I don’t believe Christakis was supported. I could be wrong in that speculation, but it is undeniable that Christakis is highly qualified as a researcher and a teacher. She simply exercised her option.

To continue on the customer/employee argument. If you’re unhappy that she left, students have every right to stop paying Yale and leave. In fact, I don’t doubt that many high school students are watching in horror as they think about future college choices.

Finally, there is one more part of the system…endowment donors. They can also decide to place their money elsewhere. In the real world, fairness is not an argument.

• ldffly

As donors go, I think we now live in a new world. Many will be repulsed by these scenes. However, a good number of billionaires these days will sympathize with SJWs. Yale can still touch them for big dollars. That makes me shudder.

• Jarka

Even billionaires (especially billionaires) want to be on the right side of history. Nobody can oppose progress. Nobody can question us!

• annette

And the donors would be wise to do so!

• 100wattlightbulb

The STUDENTS pay to be here? hahahaha- most of the parents don’t even pay anymore.

• annette

Time to cut off the money

• ShadrachSmith

And the Jacobin street theater claims another scalp. Have they no decency?

• ldffly

I’ve been saying this, too. The scene just lacks a Robespierre.

• disqus_fvLIBK8ktD

Ugh.

• Bob

The inmates have taken over the prison. Somebody better find his/her backbone to stand up to them before they burn it down.

• 100wattlightbulb

Not until the TOP bully (obama) is long gone.

• Mengles

What a shame and a loss for the university. What is sad, and what Yale students don’t realize is that in the real world, there are no “safe places”, even if you enter professional fields like Medicine or Law. Taking a slight at a simple email, and then to try to cut off other people’s speech is reprehensible, and is the antithesis of what a university is supposed to stand for. Free speech is supposed to be defended no matter if it may offend you. It stands or falls on its own merits. I will give Yale students the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is a small faction of the student body, and not the majority.

• 100wattlightbulb

You would be wrong, about the benefit of the doubt.

• annette

Yes, totally.

• Mengles

If it is indeed a majority of Yale students, then it’s quite scary. Just didn’t want to jump the gun due to few minutes of video. Thank you for clarifying.

• Kaibelf

Agreed. I had someone try to claim the “safe space” last week at work because she felt that her personal feelings about not being invited to a lunch with some teammates for some reason excludes her from coming to her job or even letting people know where she was for 3 days. She packed her desk this morning, and (incredibly) simply could not understand why she was fired. And she’s 26.

• silli10

This is rather sad to see. Apparently, she doesn’t trust her own claims that words are best argued against with words. I fail to see how not teaching does anything to help create a climate “conducive to the civil dialogue and open inquiry required to solve our urgent societal problems,” if that’s what she honestly believe the problem is. She wrote an email; people objected to it with words and protests, and she leaves. It’s obviously her choice, but it sounds like Yale will lose a good teacher.

• Ralphiec88

You really thought either Christakis would stay after Nicholas was surrounded and cursed at by students who felt no repercussions, then was forced to apologize to them? What would you do if that happened to you at your workplace?

• libra247

What if you had people constantly insulting you in your home?

• Zeriel

A college is not your home. Quite the opposite–it’s more like training for the workplace.

• libra247

It IS there home. They live there 9 months for 4 years. Its home.

• Bobby Obvious

A bit of a history rewrite there. There were more than words and protests (btw over a well-written email over Halloween costumes of all things). Among other things, there were demands for her (and her husband’s) resignation at Silliman.

FIRE warned people to watch what happened over the next few months regardless of Administration support. Usually the faculty leave quietly after a short period. It looks like that’s exactly what’s happening.

• marcedward

Maybe she doesn’t feel like going to classes just to get screamed at by brats? Judging from what one sees online, she’d get better behavior if she was teaching pre-school instead of Yale cry bullies.

• johnbigboutay

No doubt — she’ll make more money and have less stress elsewhere.

• NYAttorney

Stop blaming the victim. She was villified in an egregiously unfair and stupid manner.

• Reggie Anderson

The Sword of Damocles ought to give some insight, methinks.

• dcheretic

What a shame. Professor Erika Christakis was bullied and harassed into resigning. This is a shameful episode for Yale, and will not help race relations on campus.

• ThomasA

I’m pretty sure the point of all of this wasn’t to help race relations on campus, but rather to shift power and money to certain people.

• Greg Thrasher

Nonsense she is a quitter spare me the ‘race card’ insertion

• Bobby Obvious

Really, you know she’s a quitter? The kids asked for her resignation at Silliman. Her husband was screamed and cursed at. Given the Administration comment in the article (“It makes the situation more straightforward from a [human resources] point of view,”) I question whether she was even pushed out with her husband. All because of an email about Halloween costumes.

• Greg Thrasher

Sure it was ( sarcasm )

• DZMLSIENCE

I may tend to agree with Mr. Thrasher. By all accounts, the Christakises were lefties from way back. Losing the favor of the oppressed may have been more than they could bear.

• ShadrachSmith

Obama’s ascension to the Presidency has inspired a joyful competition of crazies among the Social Justice Warriors of every flavor among your administration and faculty. That competition of the crazies is just now reaching critical-mass hysteria, lucky you.

Timing is everything, and you are going through university when a series of unfortunate events has caused Liberal Arts education to be arguably more political and less educational than ever before. So, if you aren’t a member of the future commissars of America, keep your head down and avoid eye contact. Just tread water till you get your ticket punched because the people in charge these days are not your friends.

• annette

Insane to blame this on Obama….you should join the crybabies

• 100wattlightbulb

Who do you think is setting the tone for all of this, if not Obama? Who do you think called the presidents of the Ivies to the White House for a bit of arm twisting, in the form of “I can make your lives hell if you don’t support diversity”?

• ShadrachSmith

Obama is what he is. I blame the people who voted for Obama.

• thubten

He is a big part of enabling #blackliesmatter

• DZMLSIENCE

Obama deserves some credit for the state of the American campus. He has given the lefty whack-jobs the courage to come out from under their rocks. The White House sets a tone and his has not only been bad for foreign affairs and economy. Academia seems to be paying a price as well.

• yaleyeah

In Obama’s America, every news event is now politicized. Victims of shootings are victims of the NRA now. We’re seeing this magnified on college campuses, where students have far more influence over an administration than protestors in the outer world have over elected officials.

• BarryG

Back to school with you silly person.

• Elle Nicole

Obama has expressly denounced these students. He calls for free and open dialogue.

• Akil

Blaming this on Obama’s presidency—however obliquely—shows that you’re as much of a fanatic as the student protestors are, just in the opposite ideological direction. The President has actually spoken out against censorious student tactics on college campuses and in favor of free speech: https://www.thefire.org/president-obama-student-protests-should-embrace-free-speech/.

• yaleyeah

Crybullies won. This administration is a joke.

• marcedward

Kind of a shame she’s a quitter (Sarah Palin style), not made of sterner stuff. OTOH, Yale students don’t really deserve a good teacher when what they really want is a Kindergarten teacher who hands out participation ribbons without regard to effort or even showing up.

• Juan Diaz

She really is not a quitter. I would have done the same thing. I think both of the Christakises will end up leaving Yale and it will be Yale’s loss. This is the beginning of their departure from the University.

Salovey is trying to calm down the situation at this point, but the damage to Yale and its reputation is the price being paid to appease the unruly mob. These students are being poorly served by the University. There are no winners here. All around a sad situation.

• marcedward

I can see why she is leaving. Imagine how hard one must work to get a job like that at Yale, just to have it reduced to listening to cry-bullys scream at her. If she’d stayed, I’m sure she’d have been accused of racism the first time she didn’t award a cry-bully an A.

• libra247

Way to simplify the issue.

• BarryG

Or, perhaps they thought: “Don’t wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.”

• rainman

It is a travesty that the Yale student body will be denied the benefit of the Chirstrakis’s outstanding courses due to the intolerance of a select group that feel they have license to dictate what can be said.

• libra247

They did not dictate what can be said they merely expressed their distaste for it. Free speech works both ways.

• libra247

“intolerance of a select group”…
      Read your own words.

• Sgs

Yes Christakis should move to Alabama. I am sure they are more appreciative of her ‘tolerant’ views.

• ShadrachSmith

…they sure eat a lot of bugs?

The world is fascinated by new real-time reality show with the working title: How Many Bugs Will Yale Students Eat To Stay On the Island? And the SJWs are joyfully supplying bugs.

The whole world is watching American students sit there and chew, swallow, rinse and repeat. And everybody watching says to themselves…they sure eat a lot of bugs? Bummer, huh?

• http://rasmusen.org/ Eric Rasmusen

Far from being a critique or a defense of Erika Christakis, the bland letter mentioned at the end of the article was signed by, among other people, Erika Christakis. See http://downatyale.com/post.php?id=531.

[Monday: the article has been rewritten to reflect my comment, so my comment doesn’t fit it any more]

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Letters Art Sand Letters

As usual, Milo Yiannopoulos is spot on:

“Progressives start to make sense once you realize they are herd animals. [Professor Christakis] had the misfortune of being the old or injured one who slipped out of the pack and fell prey to the jackals–sorry, I mean, stunning and brave social justice activists.”

• Elle Nicole

These students are not progressive. They are the Regressive Left, willfully blind to the prejudices and oppression that they use to further their agenda.

• matt10023

Perhaps Yale can create a pair of new course designed to tell students how awful Yale and Society is per the demands of Next Yale. I’m sure that will heal all wounds.

Can someone post a link to the letter from Yale profs in support of the students?

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

She is wrong to withdraw. She helps defeat her own point/stand. Yale is diminished because the administration promoted this outcome.

• Ralphiec88

She is almost certainly withdrawing because she expects to leave Yale before the end of the term. Both are experts in their own right, and Nicholas can easily land in the private sector at twice the money. Saying she defeats her own point is pure spin and I’m surprised anyone at Yale would be foolish enough to buy it.

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

Oh, my. Sorry to offend.

• Stan

You have to remember there are people at Yale foolish enough to have joined in the virtual lynch mob against those two teachers. How could the potential for foolishness at Yale ever be surprising at this point?

• annette

Yes, the Administration promoted this outcome but Christakis has no obligation to sacrifice herself for their stupidity.

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

Agree.

• johnbigboutay

Why should she put up with that kind of nonsense?
      I wouldn’t if I had another option to pay my bills.

• Taquoshi

Her course offerings had value as shown by the strong enrollment and positive reviews. Now Yale is poorer because it lost those course offerings.

• jamesgd

its no surprise that she didnt take her own advice, to suck it up and engage dissenters, or ignore them. she was just paying lip-service to folks who complained to her, because they were so sensitive that they FELT a REQUEST to mind their offensive costumes was an assault on their freedom–even though that same request explicitly said they had a right to express themselves.

• Kaibelf

Why should she do that when people are disrupting her lessons? News flash: not everyone wants to participate in a political protest, nor are most people interested in being involved in this one.

• Stan

When the dissenters are an angry mob, what’s the point of engagement? The only result will be further lynching. She’s outnumbered, and no school administrative officials are going to back her up for fear of losing their own livelihoods to the pitchforks.

• aaleli

Every donor and alum should stop donations forthwith until this madness is over.

• annette

Could not agree more!

• branford73

I might attend the next Yale Club meeting in my area which Salovey attends. I attended a Duke alumni meeting several years ago when Dick Brodhead tried to defend his actions in the lacrosse hoax scandal. I enjoyed hearing the grief he received from alums there.

• ShadrachSmith

You have called the name of the only force that can save you now.

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

Croesus, I presume?

• Jonny-O

And with the recent article about the classics department, where the university is repurposing donations for their own ends and ignoring the donor’s intentions, taking money given in good faith for a department and using it for other means, they deserve nothing and will never get a penny from me.

• BarryG

The repurposing is fair. At Yale, it seems, the humanities are already dead … and they suck at Computer Science. Best divide the cash and run for the borders.

• Debbie

For some reason, this quote from that noted progressive, Ernesto Che Guevara, popped into my mind this morning:

“To send men to the firing squad, judicial proof is unnecessary. These procedures are an archaic bourgeois detail. This is a revolution! And a revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate. We must create the pedagogy of the paredón .”

• Ralphiec88

Attribution of this quote to Guevara is disputed. It comes from a single source and it is at odds with some of his verified quotes.

• Debbie

If Che Guevara were a fictional character from a novel, the quote would still have popped into my mind this morning.

• Ralphiec88

Agreed on that!

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

Mal-attribution can be considered a milli-aggression, no?

• Debbie

Not from me! Che Guevara was a privileged, white, cis-gendered, heterosexual male — way below me in the victim hierarchy. Besides, it’s only a disputed attribution, not a mal-attribution.

• DZMLSIENCE

It is also at odds with the marketing of t-shirts emblazoned with this mass murderer’s face to clueless undergrads across America.

• sy

The comments assume that students alone are running this political project. I expect that faculty and administrators are the source, and are promoting and advising both the students and ideas.

• annette

That would be a very plausible assumption.

• je2016

Who is the “precious snowflake?”

She claims she believes in free speech, but apparently not for students. We push back, she quits. And she blames it on the students.

Don’t feel sorry for her. This is a great lead-in to her book tour; now she is the great martyr to free speech. Silliman students still have to sleep elsewhere if they do not want to run into this arrogant, self-promoting pair.

• embala

They might run into people who had the temerity to voice opinions that weren’t the same as theirs? The poor dears. Please let us know where we can send donations of pillows and blankets.

• je2016

“Voicing a different opinion” is not the same as making clear that you have no empathy for 19 year-olds who spend their days being made to feel unwelcome in their own university.

These two are friends of Salovey, but otherwise completely unfit for the job. That is why most of the Silliman staff quit soon after they arrived.

BTW, does it bother you that NC watched his buddy film that incident, knowing that such filming violates Yale’s rules? I would think that someone like a master should follow and enforce the rules. I guess not.

• branford73

“Completely unfit for the job?” Unless you mean they don’t fit your conception of what a Master should do, perhaps debatable, I don’t see how you can say that. They have prior experience as House Masters at that other school in Cambridge.

If “most of the Silliman staff quit soon after they arrived” it would seem unlikely their lack of fitness had anything to do with a changeover. How would the departing staff know if they left “soon after”?

Enlighten me on filming an open discussion in a courtyard violating Yale’s rules. I visit from time to time and don’t want to run afoul of such rules.

• libra247

your sympathy should be for her. Poor dear couldn’t take the heat.

• johnbigboutay

Some day you might understand what you are missing now.
      Maybe not.

• Jonny-O

While we may critique her for her decision to leave, for not submitting herself to harassment to encourage dialogue, and indeed some (not all) of the actions surrounding them amount of harassment and intimidation; I can understand why she would do this. On a pragmatic level, how could her classes achieve the aims of the syllabus if the same level of protests or criticism she has experienced disrupted classes and derailed lesson plans? The course is on a specific topic and must accomplish those goals, but I could not foresee her being able to teach effectively, given the strong possibility her class would face interference and disruptions. Her course has as its goal teaching about childhood development, not engaging in discourse with protesters. So indeed, if the university can not assure her that she will not face outside disruptions that prevent her from completing and teaching her course, then she should not offer that course. In the world of the classroom, there is a clear hierarchy; the instructor must have authority to control discussion and course goals, and students must fall in line with that authority and understand that they are in fact not on par with their instructors. In the current climate, I could not see students granting her that, which would completely undermine her fulfillment of course goals. Students should be blamed for it; teaching depends on the ability to establish control and authority and teach free of disruptions. Since it’s likely she cannot have those things from students, they don’t deserve to take her class.

• branford73

I don’t feel nearly as sorry for her as I do for Yale and Yale students who are not part of this epidemic of speech hate.

• Reggie Anderson

Save the histrionics for group.

• branford73

OK. “Contagion” instead of “epidemic” then. It certainly has spread around college campuses this term.

• Bobby Obvious

A lit bit of a history rewrite there. The Silliman students asked for the resignation of Christakis and her husband for their roles at the College. So “push back” is an understatement, never mind the video evidence of shrieking students. She just took it one step further and will find a more welcoming university for those that believe in free speech. Good for her. Sucks for Yale, but you had to expect that your behavior would have some effect, especially asking for resignations?

BTW, this may not stop with Christakis. Remember the STEM professors are “far removed from reality” – don’t be surprised if any of those leave. Finally, good luck raising money for the endowment. It seems everyone other than a subset of Yale students is disgusted by recent events on campus.

• annette

Totally disgusted and not a penny for Yale.

• Utuk

These special snowflakes are going to have a tough time in the real world . If these students behaved the way they did in a job, they would find themselves quickly blackballed from the industry permanently. Administrators are under no obligation to cater to the whim of every student that complains about non issues. This is college,not kindergarten.

• http://weaselzippers.us/ nickarama

Talk about ‘special snowflakes’! She’s trying to educate you on free speech and the dangers of losing it, you can’t take it and flip out. She didn’t stop your speech, you jackass, but you tried to stop hers. She is entitled to her reaction, which I can completely understand. Why teach people who are still themselves ‘problem children’, who aren’t interested in listening? She doesn’t have to and she can take her talents elsewhere. Your loss. Sleep elsewhere? You’re such a special little snowflake you can’t even take being near her? Who has the problem here?

• 1Connman

Where did she say she don’t believe in free speech? It was her speech that students disagreed with. Like a bunch of spoiled brats, it will take them a few more years to realize that there is a real world that don’t care about their feelings of self importance.

• Sgs

It was the professors stupidity that the students disagreed with. Too bad that the professor is in the ‘real world’

• BrownAlum

Projecting much? She clearly stated “I have great respect and affection for my students”, and she does not blame the students – “I worry that the current climate at Yale is not, in my view, conducive to the civil dialogue and open inquiry required to solve our urgent societal problems.'” in regards to the administration’s feeble support.

Her primary occupation is an educator, if she can’t feel she can do her job effectively, she’s doing a disservice to her students giving them a defective product.

“Silliman students still have to sleep elsewhere if they do not want to run into this arrogant, self-promoting pair.” You have a valid point here, the violence emanating from her aura must be unbearable.

I don’t feel sorry for her, I feel sorry for you, your childish tantrums and hissy fits are depriving you of a world class education, you may as well stay home, pocket the $200,000 and go read self-serving blogs on the internet.

• Kaibelf

Please never embarrass yourself by sending me your resume.

• Aaron68

The students didn’t push back, they demanded she be fired.

• marcedward

She claims she believes in free speech, but apparently not for students

Translation: We want our betters to sit silent while we scream at them like tantrum throwing toddlers.

• Tristain Gomez

je2016 is just sad s/he doesnt get the change to charge into a discussion and spit on the teacher for themselves…

• Stan

Awww, I feel so bad for those students. It must be rough having to occasionally deal with real life and differing opinions.

• Mr YardDogBeatin

After viewing that video – those students weren’t interested in free speech or an intelligent debate. The Yale mob wanted to bully the professors to apologize. When Christakis wouldn’t apologize (and for good reason) – that crazy girl went on a verbal assault. She childishly started name calling. Isn’t that what started all the problems at Mizzou – alleged name calling? Sounds more like Yale needs a “nap space” – for you rich privileged kiddies that are getting too fussy. Go protest real injustices – like the police corruption in Dothan, Alabama – that a hideous situation – a little more serious than Halloween costumes.

• Akil

The students didn’t just “push back;” they didn’t just express their disagreement with her email and refute it rationally; they went so far as to call for her resignation or termination from her job as Silliman College master. They went beyond merely exercising their own speech and sought to suppress hers. It’s her student opponents who claim to believe in free speech, but only for themselves and those who share their views, not for anyone who disagrees with them.

• Mengles

“We push back, she quits. And she blames it on the students.” — You mean like trying to get her fired? That’s speech pushback?

• branford73

This sounds like they may be leaving campus for the Spring semester. What a terrible development for Yale.

Holloway’s cold statement shows that the administration at the very least was unsupportive of the Christakises in private and the tepid support of Salovey’s email announcements was the best they got. I wish they would stick it out and fight for independent thought and expression on campus. But I’m removed so I don’t know how much hostility they face, so I won’t blame them It does make one wonder if the administration encouraged them to leave.

• yaleyeah

The message is clear to the faculty. There will be no more questioning of official school memos from the faculty — period.

• Jarka

nobody can question progress! if they do, there will be consequences.

• Phil Ostrand

So the new racists got their way to force out the Christakises. Congratulations Next Yale on becoming exactly what you say you are against. Intolerant, bigoted, and willing to go to any measure to win.

• JacksonT

Is there a dictionary of triggers and micro aggressions to which I can refer before I say or write anything remotely offensive in ear’s reach of some self-labeled victim?

• mogden

The Yale administration is a disgrace, as is the legion of the perpetually disgruntled.

• Michael Pitchard

Do you want a Soviet Politburo..? Because this is how you get Soviet Politburos. Thanks to the intellectually dishonest, ideologically driven witch-hunt of a small vocal minority of ‘slacktivists’ one of the world’s supposedly leading universities is now emphatically less of a place of learning. I hope you like dropping in the world rankings Yale, that’s the reality you going to have to get used to.

• rick131

Anyone who has a different opinion from radical leftist students is not allowed to speak or have an opinion.

• libra247

But she was allowed to speak. Then she made the choice to leave, unfortunately.

• Gabriel Toh-Michi-Yan-Go

Beautifully written, YDN reporter Finnegan Schick ! Perfect photo, Brianna Loo ! My view: People err… Yet, even in a climate of hate, ignorance, mob-consciousness and unreasonable demands, Magnificent Erika-boom and Astonishing Nicholas are NOT “leaving” Yale… They are, and ever-shall-be, an irreplaceable facet of the Yale family, gems of infinite worth. Some recognize their value, some don’t. Our President, Dean Holloway, the students who know them best, and colleagues, with their wits about them, certainly do! Those who say these professors are being nudged–or quietly shoved–out of Yale are grossly mistaken. I quote Finnegan: “On Nov. 17, Salovey and Holloway wrote that they “fully support” the Christakises’ mastership in a joint email to Silliman students.” There are dangers that lurk in hidden corners and public gatherings; there are “angels in the outfield” (a movie worth watching–free–online!); and there IS a time and place to take a rest. Spring 2016 is rest and re-invigorate time, away from our downtown campus. Others, so steamed up they can’t think straight–or gayly, or in curves of grandeur–might consider following the healthy decision Mr. and Mrs. C provide to us: a Gift of Wisdom, announced publicly during holy holiday season. Let reason return, I’d wager a nickle they will too.

• I_h8_disqus

Once again, Yale shows it doesn’t support free speech.

• Mike Walsh

Welcome to “The Entitlement Generation” my friends.

• libra247

Entitled to what?

• Greg Thrasher

Good development for the students interesting how this woman sought to demonize students for her shortcomings …

• Ralphiec88

“demonize”. Uh huh.

• Akil

What nonsense. Nothing that Erika Christakis said at any point of this controversy ever “demonized” students or anyone else.

• Greg Thrasher

This hollow educator was unable to handle criticism what a empty skirt

• 1Connman

Sounds like her book ” The Importance of Being Little” Is a discriminatory book against tall people like myself!

• libra247

You obviously do not attend Yale or any other college.

• babyming

As I continue to be stunned and amazed by how negative and destructive conservatives can be, events at Yale remind me that some liberals can be as just as crazy. Maybe even worse. It’s painful to imagine why anyone would consider it an accomplishment to put a chill on free speech. But that’s what’s happening, in one of the world’s most distinguished universities. Some conservatives say that an armed society is a polite society. Now, some liberals at Yale apparently want the kind of polite society that comes from the lack of free speech. Both sides deserve each other.

• libra247

I don’t understand why people keep talking about free speech. She was free to say what she said but she is not free from feedback that comes from the opinions she expressed. She is responsible for making the residential college a “home” and all the students were asking for the dean to discourage people from wearing blackface type offensive costumes. Everyone already knows that you can’t literally stop people but they were asking for support.

• yaleyeah

They wanted her fired. That is Stalinesque and blatantly facist.

• Jarka

She opposed policy and progress. She got what she deserved. If anything, her punishment was not harsh enough.

• libra247

So what if they simply wanted her fired. Good thing the university knew better than that. Unfortunately she quit. There is no Stalin here. No one was going to fire her. You are making that up.

• jackson chapman

Yale is NOT your “home”. It is a University. At a legitimate University, there will be a “battleground” of differing thoughts. Being “offended” is a foolish, foolish reaction to this environment.

• libra247

Being offended is not foolish. I think all the students were asking for was a little support. Obviously you can ‘t stop people from being ignorant. Obviously, Erika knows what its like to be offended now. I wish she had stayed. I think she is a good person.

• Mengles

Students were asking for more than just “support”. They were demanding that Yale kow-tow to their world view.

• libra247

you are absolutely right. The students were trying to make a point and so was Erika. I wish she had stayed to continue making her point. But she felt unsupported kind of like her students. Only difference is she left and the students are still there trying to solve issues. Can’t walk away from the color of your skin which is why all of this worth fighting for.

• libra247

And Yale IS a home to the students. Their home away from home for 4 years which is what Yale advertises. A “residential” college. You pay to live there. It is your HOME.

• Mengles

“She is responsible for making the residential college a “home” — WRONG. Absolutely WRONG. The university’s job is not to make their university your home.

• libra247

It absolutely is. The “residential” college is there home for 4 years. They were only asking for support regarding ettiquette. Thats not too much.

• DZMLSIENCE

I’ll take the polite society with free speech. Not sure why one deserves to be lumped in with the rude tyrants of the left because of that.

• banbs

The loss of education by elimination of several courses by two distinguished faculty members reflects the weak support that they received from President Salovey. Likely they will leave Yale. The losers are the students who would have taken these courses. Some disagree with her decision not to teach as it could encourage civil discourse. That position is naive as likely her classes would have disrupted by hostile students. No reputable professor would subject themselves or their students to such interruptions.

• Kaibelf

Indeed, and that kind of hostility has ZERO place in higher education. It seems the students in question simply aren’t ready for the level of discussion which requires them to actually think analytically. They just want to complain.

• Sgs

No reputable professor will advocate for offensive Halloween costumes. The backlash she got is well deserved.

• yaleyeah

Hard to know what is offensive sgs. These radicals change the definition of what is racist on a daily basis.

• Sgs

I agree with you.

• matt10023

Isn’t the issue that what may offend is in the eye of the beholder? Avoiding what may offend is a slippery slope argument. I find the rhetoric of the protesters offensive. Should we encourage a group of students to surround one of them, scream at them, and call them names. Would they deserve it? According to you, well, yes. Since offense justifies that kind of behavior.

• Sgs

Well allowing offensive costumes is also a slippery slope. Would you like people wearing blackface and swastikas going around during Halloween? You are okay as long as the costumes don’t offend you. If you see something truly offensive, you will also complain in the same way the students did and probably bring about a welcome change.

• matt10023

If someone wore blackface, that would be a “teachable” moment for them. I would speak to the student, but I would not demand the resignation of a professor who advocated for the right to offend. Nor would I expect the university to respond to a long list of demands for items unrelated to that student’s costume choice.

You seem to have forgotten what happened here. Christakis was not advocating for blackface. She was arguing against blanket, paternalistic guidance from administrators so people can make their own choices, and make their own mistakes.

• thubten

#blackliesmattermost

• Rocinante

Well, looks like Yale isn’t a very safe space after all if your a developmental psychologist and use your knowledge to examine a specific problem you see in the growth and development of young people in your care.

• Hassan

She brought nothing but intolerance to our campus. Glad she’s gone!

• thubten

#blackliesmatter

• JohnnyBehan

I hope you’re kidding. if not, you’re going to have a REALLY hard time in the working world, child.

• Kaibelf

What a shame. It seems that people can’t even continue to have an intellectual and academic debate these days without people freaking out and threatening their livelihood. To all the students who complained about how Yale isn’t supposed to be about intellectual dialogue, but instead it’s to make some kind of other home: Way to lower the bar. Grow up.

• Swimmer

Everyone wants to pin this on “the administration” but the reality is that the young woman screaming at this professor and all her goons surrounding her are the real culprits. They should drop out and go study somewhere that supports their brand of hate speech and silencing. Can you imagine the outrage if a white student stood screaming such vitriol at an African American? Everyone talks about White privilege, but this scene suggests otherwise.

• JMS

How is this not like the Cultural Revolution or McCarthyism?

• grant_cook

All I know is please cross Yale off the list of campuses to actively recruit at.. I can’t afford to have one of these “precious little snowflakes” working in my company..

• Tristain Gomez

Hopefully they join the staff of a large public school like UVA or one of the UCs
    While they are certainly infantilized students there because the pool of students is so large, there are plenty who are just happy to get an education, have vigorous discussions and debates, and plenty capable of grappling with uncomfortable language and concepts

• BarryG

The radical right and the radical left are peas in a pod, sharing all but a few items of specific content. They are fueled with victimhood, braced by absolutist convictions, fast to mob mentality and sharing surprisingly similar scapegoats. They deserve one another but we do not deserve them.

Perhaps a new college somewhere could house them both but for the danger that they’d breed.

• littlefoot

What a shame the screaming girl did not major in singing; she’s has quite a set of lungs on her.

I wish I knew the Christakis. Although I am fairly certain we differ in our political/ideological views, I enjoy thoughtful discourse with those with whom I disagree. It is such a rare bird these days to be able to respectfully argue differing opinions. I would much rather surround myself with those who respectfully disagree with me, than those who militantly and radically agree with me.

• Your Concerned Citizen

What a heartbreaking loss for the students. This should have been a “learning moment” for them. Instead, it has shown that the quality of education is on the decline at Yale. In so many ways…

• beatricerydermeyer@gmail.com

If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen, I guess. Not a very shining example to impressionable students and obviously ridiculously immature students if a professor would rather hide than teach. Or perhaps its just her way of taking advantage of notoriety to increase book sales.

• Zeriel

If you were being intimidated in person at your house at midnight, I doubt you’d be so sanguine. “The heat” of teaching shouldn’t involve fearing for your personal safety.

• SamuelRossLee

Erika and her husband keep making a case for free speech as it pertains to this issue. From what I’ve heard of Nicholas they make a compelling case for the freedom of speech. Unfortunately, for them, this situation and their involvement in it is not merely about that.

The E-mail that Erika was responding to was not a prohibitive injunction against students wearing the costumes they desired to wear. The initial E-mail was an attempt to make students aware, if they were not already, that certain costumes could be seen as offensive by their classmates, hence students should be thoughtful about what they choose to wear, if they are not looking to offend their classmates.

Erika’s self-insertion into this exchange was both unwarranted and unnecessary. As no one had attacked the hypothetically offending students free speech, there was no reason for her to attempt defend it, while at the same time tacitly manifesting her lack of concern for the students whose feelings the first E-mail was, at least, trying to address.

Is it any wonder that the students who reside in the college headed by her and her husband feel “unsafe” when the couple is more concerned, even in hypothetical situations, with abstract principles than they are the real life comfort of their students. The Christakis’ created a problem, her with an unnecessary E-mail and he with an ardent defense of it, that would have never existed had they understood and/or embraced the point of the initial message in the first E-mail.

• marcedward

Privileged entitled snowflake response.

• Mulberry Field

How safe do the Christakis’s feel when they are being mobbed by a crowd of people while having obscenities yelled at them? Why is the safe space only for the students? You think that an email that talks about the fact that college kids are too old to involve the administration in their yet to be Halloween costumes is more threatening than surrounding a man at his front door while yelling f-bombs at him? He could NEVER get away with saying that to a student on tape. What about mobbing the president’s house at midnight with demands makes that man and his family feel safe? Wasn’t the whole point to make him feel intimidated? The feelings of the staff are irrelevant to the New Yale and they have no problem looking down on them as if they were their butlers. Why does our culture condone workplace harassment while criticizing sexual harassment considering that the former is much more common. They’re actually both just plain harassment. The students know that they can abuse the staff because they stand on an unbreakable glass floor.He should apologize to students who yelled things at him that the YDN won’t even allow us to publish? We literally can’t repeat the abuse hurled by the shrieker (who is being protected) in this thread. No one quoting Erika Christakis is having the moderator pull their comments yet she stands accused as the offender merely because she is not a student.

• SamuelRossLee

I think the issues and incidents you’ve raised here are important to discuss. They have nothing, however, to do with what I wrote.

• PG

The actions of the students remind me of why I stopped being a liberal.

• Greg Thrasher

The actions of the students fuled my liberalism

• PG

What does “fuled” mean? Fooled?

• Byron Wooten

Childish students who don’t understand the value of freedom of expression. Keep fighting it kiddo’s and one day soon someone will not let you express yourself either. You are not going to get a world where everyone agrees with you. Be offended! Offend back! Find common ground and coexist.

• Mike_Masinter

So far as I can tell, not a single member of the Yale Law School faculty signed the letter of support for Erika and Nicholas Christakis. The law faculty’s silence speaks volumes on how academic freedom and free speech are understood at Yale.

• DZMLSIENCE

The relevance of the law school has declined massively with its deepening list to port.

• ldffly

If I’m not mistaken, the law school had its “crisis” some years ago. Apparently, they’ve learned their lesson and now sit silent.

• Greg Thrasher

The faculty clearly know what a losers Erika and Nicholas are

• jackson chapman

Yale, once proudly an “intellectual space” is now a Day Care for children who rise up against anyone who dares to utter a thought that is not in lock step with their own.

It is astonishing that University leaders are cowed by these childish demands.

• DZMLSIENCE

Does anyone believe that there is not a great deal of sympathy for the snowflakes within the faculty and administration ranks? Does anyone think that the undergrads are the only childish tyrants on campus? The hard leftists infesting academia today are not concerned about receiving the kind of treatment to which the Christakises were subjected – they would never have made those kind of counter-revolutionary statements to begin with. Living in a hyper-politicized environment is fine with them because, for many, that’s their stock in trade. So much more fun to play politics than doing research or teaching.

• Nick Roberti ’48

In the 1940s, we members of the then despised minorities, like Jews and Italians, fortunate enough to be at Yale, were treated as anyone else. Bigotry was never expressed by faculty or students. Today there are formal avenues, and administrators to deal with complaints. To date the one specific offense mentioned is the innocuous and adult Christakis letter. My conclusion is that the claims of pervasive racism, marginalization and invalidation etc. can only be described as preposterous. The administration’s handling of this fiasco appears to be costing Yale the services of what appear to be two universally respected faculty members. This is poor stewardship of our wonderful school

• dookieboot2

I don’t think she left just because of the students. I think half of it is that the Christakis’s got not only no support from the administration, but I think behind closed doors the administration actually supported the students. The sad truth is that university administrators aren’t capitulating to SJW ideology because they are afraid, it’s because the administrators also happen to subscribe to that same ideology.

After 40 years of this authoritarian Marcusian claptrap dominating many academic departments, it’s no surprise it’s generated a fifth column inside the system.

• ldffly

” . . . . it’s because the administrators also happen to subscribe to that same ideology.” And you might add members of the Corporation. I am convinced that is really the problem.

• Jarka

nobody has right to question revolution!

• Robert Riversong

• frank

Life was so much simpler when Silliman was part of Sheff Town…

• 100wattlightbulb

Has anyone noticed if you use “shrieking girl’s” real name, your comment is removed?

• Ralphiec88

Yup.

• Jarka

“shrieking girl’s” is on the right side of history. Some backward, biggot professor has no right to question her. Prof must bear the consequences.

• Kongfish

after seeing the totally faked video production of that little spoiled brat reprimanding her peer over her hypersensitivity to what’,? Exactly??? I still am not sure of anything she said in her video Camino tyraid except she did scream,” shut, the fuck up”” at her peer. Now, that’s a perfect Shining” example of how the left wing Academia zealots that are the first to scream that our college campuses are sacred ground for Freedom of Speech, will they scream at the top of their lungs OVER anyone else who is trying to express, THEIR,” point of view. They are the loudest roudiest bully’s that SHOVE THEIR VIEWS DOWN THE OTHER 95% of the publics throat. They will create descent, discord, and resort to violence if someone else try’s to express a point of view that differs from there’s. The left is all for freedom of speech , as long as it’s “their views on freedom of speech”
    Here’s some examples of the lefts version of: Freedon of Speech””
    The gay activist screamed & They demanded equal rights for every American. As they used violent protest, & tossed myotive cocktails on the businesses &I homes of anyone that did not believe in gay marriage while they used the judicial branch to purvert the electioral branch & forcefully Shoved their lunatic Leftwing views down the throats of the other 93% of Americans.

• Kevin Brooks

When I was in college in the early 90s we ARGUED different opinions. Feelings were hurt but damn it, we respected each other. I definitely did not change many opinions but I did make them THINK about it. Fun times when your 19-20.

I argued in an English class (of all places) that the original American Indians were not as peaceful as the professor was telling us. He loved it, for the next week students and the professor brought in sources and we discussed our disagreements.

If I’m repeating it now (25 years removed), the arguments in college obviously affected my ‘growing up’. For me, It was very positive. College kids of 2016, mix it up.

• Margie Gunderson

I too went to college at a different time, and student protests were about something larger than wordsmithing the term “house master” (which comes from the English collegiate model). Activism is less now about the greater good and more about personal outrage and “my feelings are hurt, so things need to change.”

• Kongfish

Now that the NAZI like left wingers are attacking Donald Trump for doing what it is going to take, to keep all Americans FREE’& SAFE from the terrorist like IsIs from forcing Shiria Law on all of Americans. Isis is here people, you can bury your head in the sand and act like that terrorist attack out in California was make believe or a one of a kind attack, but it’s not. ISIS is here. Now the Leftwing dreamers that liv in fantasy land where we all get along they will will start calling anyone that acts like a REALMAN with a set of balls, NAZI’s, storm troopers, & a barrage of other evil characters. But, just remember one thing, the family of the victims of those Muslims that were killed them will tell you just how real it is. Fwe can either follow Obama’s path, which he clearly stated in his speech from the presidential office the other day. Obama clearly showed us,” wait, what exactly did Obama say???” Huh, I can’t seem to remember what Obama did say. I do recall him saying to step back, be patient, and wait till they are sure it was Muslim Terrorist. He didn’t actually say we’re going to do anything. Obama did say he was late for a tee time, & he had a quick photo op with one of the victims of that Possible right wing conservative Christian tea party terrorist dressed for church carrying a unlicensed Bible.

• Kevin Brooks

I agree.

• Kevin Brooks

• PennyAgbayani

Yale: Where Ideas Go to Die

• Greg Thrasher

What a shallow woman instead of having the grit to address students laments she folds like a old paper bag …

Quitters like her do not deserve to be in classroom …

• $26747440

Her resignation can easily be viewed as her own form of protest, and I don’t think STUDENTS like that deserve to be in a classroom.

Expressing your grievances is fine, but not if done in an inappropriate manner. Those students are in for a harsh reality when they get out in the real world, and they are ill-equipped with what will confront them.

The level of naïveté on their part is appalling.

• Greg Thrasher

Nonsense the only person who was out or order was this shallow instructor.

She should never be allowed to teach at Yale again. Quitter is she.

• $26747440

The absurdity of your comment renders it undeserving of rebuttal.

• $26747440

• Greg Thrasher

Yet you replied …. Lol lol

• $26747440

Christakis may have simply asked herself “Who needs this idiocy? Not me, and I’ve had enough of this garbage”.

What is really disturbing about this whole episode is what is in store for that girl in the video. She is in for a rough time in the future, because she is clearly unprepared for the realities of life that will confront her and people like her.

I don’t mean to be unkind, but that girl is laughably naive. She’s living in fairytale land. She needs some counseling, and her parents need to do some soul-searching.

• $26747440

That comments are removed on this site is disturbing, if they’re not comprised of offensive or abusive content. Inherent in this whole episode at Yale is the right to express thought freely.

It’s obvious that the moderators of this site don’t believe in that right. How ironic – and cowardly.

• annette

The alumni need to step in and take back control from the nitwits that are currently in charge.

• JohnnyBehan

yet nothing happens to the vile and disrespectful student swearing at a faculty member? sad to see Christakis left, but not surprising – the children have apparently taken over the very expensive, once proud Yale and not for the better.
    When you kids get out into the real world, try and remember, there is no “safe space” – you are not going to be free from being offended. I’ll enjoy watching the student activists fail miserably at life.

• JohnnyBehan

shame on Yale.

• Jarka

Good that she is gone. People like her are obstacles to progress and must be eliminated. She stands on the wrong side of history.

• JohnnyBehan

please tell me you’re kidding. please?

• Mengles

You’re a fool if you’re being serious.

• Mike

Is that a quote of Hitler? Mao? Or do you think you had an original thought.

• slayer

I guess here is the difference between Harvard students and Harvard rejects (i.e Yalies)
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/notable-quotable-harvard-1450481604

Yale get your sh*t together please.

• Mike

This is a tragedy for these misguided “activist” students. They believe they won. This will only encourage further immature behavior. The consequences will not be small ones.

There is a real world. A world where a “safe space” is one which you create through civil discourse and courtesy.

They have been rewarded for foul language and spitting on people. Congrats.

Unemployable. That is what should be stamped on their $220k diplomas. 🙁

• Mark

I find it hard to believe that Erika Christakis resigned simply because of a few entitled and pampered students. My guess is that she resigned because she received absolutely zero support from Yale administrators. A decision like that can only serve to hurt Yale; who will want to lecture there in the future?

• Ian Hare

The climate we find ourselves in is a direct result of twenty plus years of coddling spoiling protecting and pampering children and teaching them few if any important foundational skills and values and a generation of adults enslaved to them and bowing to every whim and fancy even aquiescing to verbal and physical abuse, end result: record levels of emotional instability, entitlement, grievance, agression, narcisissm, instant gratification and god knows what else ultimately a Frankenstein’s monster that has come to haunt and plague us all! Something drastic has to be done soon ie weed out far left ideologues throughout the entire public education system from kindergarten through to universities!

• Ian Hare

Seemingly the far left in particular including Marxist feminists have got what they want to destabilise western societies and ultimately drive a wedge between the sexes, these are very dangerous people who must be exposed and stopped as a matter of urgency otherwise they will take their ideological wrecking balls to everything!