Aydin Akyol

This article has been updated to reflect the version that ran in print on Nov. 18.

In response to campus conversations on race and diversity over the past few weeks, University President Peter Salovey announced a series of policies on Tuesday that will impact, among other things, course offerings and faculty hiring, the funding of the four cultural centers and the mechanism by which students can report instances of discrimination.

Some of the policies will be implemented immediately, some will be put in place over time and some are still in development. The majority of students of color interviewed — many of whom have been involved in the demonstrations of the past two weeks — said they felt satisfied with the steps and will hold the administration accountable in their implementation and the development of additional steps. Salovey told the News that he hopes these new policies will show students that the University has listened to their input and is taking action. Still, according to a statement from Next Yale — a coalition of Yale students of color and their allies that presented a list of demands to Salovey last week — the changes announced Tuesday do not go far enough.

“Many of these initiatives have been under consideration or in the works for some time. I am glad that we are able to act on them in a concerted manner and that they will benefit so many on campus,” Salovey told the News. “I hope students appreciate that we are listening to them and that we are now all moving forward in a collaborative way.”

In his email, Salovey separated the policy changes into four areas: “Strengthening the Academic Enterprise,” “Expanding Programs, Services and Support for Students,” “Improving Institutional Structures and Practices” and “Representations of Diversity on Campus.”

The University will strengthen its academic enterprise through a new University center on race and ethnicity to be launched this year, four new Faculty of Arts and Sciences positions for scholars whose studies focus on underrepresented communities and new spring course offerings in related areas. Additionally, the University will establish a five-year series of conferences on issues of race, gender, inequality and inclusion, as well as a new administrative position — dean for diversity in the FAS and special advisor to the provost and president — to help guide the FAS in its diversity efforts, including in its implementation of the recently announced $50 million faculty diversity initiative.

Salovey said the goal of the race and ethnicity center will be to foster more collaboration among faculty and students.

“Faculty who wish to be involved with the center’s work, and especially those whose fields are relevant, will be involved in designing it,” he told the News. “One comparable center would be the Whitney Humanities Center. Centers generally bring together faculty and students across a number of different, but related, departments, programs and fields of study.”

The University will also double the budgets for its four cultural centers, offer improvements in financial aid — including a reduction in the student effort expectation, provide multicultural training to all of Mental Health & Counseling and have professional counselors from Yale Health work with the cultural centers to schedule specified hours.

“For the AACC, the budget increase, acknowledging our staffing needs, stated commitment to continue to address our facilities issues and the addition of a mental health fellow to provide counseling hours to our students is a significant upgrade,” Saveena Dhall, director of the Asian American Cultural Center, said. “Although we will be engaged in working out the details and assessing what is quickly implementable, what we can put into place next semester and what are the areas that need continued attention, it is clear that the University is making a commitment to truly invest in the experiences of all students.”

Many of these measures respond to Next Yale’s demands, which included an increase of $2 million to the annual budget of each cultural center. Dhall did not specify the current operating budget for the AACC, but said because the increase in funding does not go into effect until the beginning of next academic year, she will spend the next six months planning for it. Tobias Holden ’17, a student of color who has been present at many of the discussions and demonstrations of the past two weeks, said that while the increase in funding for the cultural centers falls short of Next Yale’s demand, it is a step in the right direction. But Karleh Wilson ’16, a member of Next Yale who has met with Salovey on two occasions, said she is not satisfied because the increase in funding will not go into effect next semester.

The University will also seek to improve its institutional structures and practices by training its top administrators, faculty and others to recognize and combat racism and discrimination. Salovey told the News that his office is currently searching for the individuals or organizations that can most effectively provide such training.

The University will also make funds available for programs concerning diversity and inclusion, such as those offered at freshman orientation. Additionally, the administration will “immediately” work with students to communicate available pathways to better report instances of discrimination on campus. In the spring, University Secretary and Vice President for Student Life Kimberly Goff-Crews will take the lead in developing stronger mechanisms for the reporting, tracking and addressing of discriminatory actions.

The policies also aim to strengthen representations of diversity on campus. Because decisions about the potential renaming of Calhoun College and the naming of the two new residential colleges fall under the jurisdiction of the Yale Corporation, Salovey’s email said the Corporation’s senior fellow, Margaret Marshall LAW ’76, would organize meetings between the body’s members and the Yale community.

In a preliminary statement provided to the News, Next Yale said the policies represent progress but fail to address the majority of the needs of students of color.

“Next Yale is cautiously optimistic about President Salovey’s announcement of the upcoming institutional changes. We still need time to process the message and communicate as a group to determine a substantial collective response,” the statement reads. “But this movement is by no means over. The letter only addresses a small fraction of our needs as students of color. For example, despite the budget increase, the cultural centers remain under-resourced for the functions they serve. The proposed academic changes make no mention or room for tenured faculty in ethnic studies, who are of paramount importance as we work to implement these commitments and sustain the progress we have made.”

Sebastian Medina-Tayac ‘16 — a staff reporter for the News, an organizer with Next Yale and the president of the Association of Native Americans at Yale — said he believes the policies are a good start and that he appreciates the work the administration put in to making these changes happen.

Austin Johnson ’16, a student of color who has been involved with recent cultural center events, said the policies are steps in the right direction and that he is proud to be a part of an institution where administrators respond to the genuine needs of its students.

Still, many students interviewed stressed that there is more work to be done, noting that some of Next Yale’s demands were not met. For example, in Tuesday’s policy announcement, the University did not put in place an ethnic studies distributional requirement for undergraduates, raise the Ethnicity, Race and Migration Program to departmental status or increase the budgets of each cultural center by the requested $2 million.

But Wilson said that just because certain demands were not met on Tuesday does not mean they will not be met in the future, as Next Yale continues to work with Salovey and Yale College Dean Jonathan Holloway.

She added that though she is excited about the new faculty positions and courses, she remains unsatisfied, as many of the announced policies will take too much time to implement. Wilson said two important pieces were missing from the email: an acknowledgement that recent events at Yale are part of a national movement against institutional racism, and a promise to consult with students about the distribution of the new faculty who will be hired through the diversification initiative. Wilson said while powerful figures at Yale, such as Corporation members, the provost and alumni donors, are preventing the implementation of some of Next Yale’s demands, Salovey is on the movement’s side.

“[Salovey] understands he has a responsibility to fix things and is on our side, but the problem is he doesn’t have as much power as students think he does. He needs the support of other people who have more power — the people who pull the strings he can’t pull,” she said. “Salovey is not our antagonist — he is our ally. More than our ally: a member of this movement. I know it’s hard to conceptualize someone we’ve attacked and felt attacked by as a member of our movement, but he is. That is something everyone needs to know — all people at Yale in general.”

Akinyi Ochieng ’15, a former peer liaison for the Af-Am House, said she was extremely pleased with the policies. However, she said her one disappointment was the exclusion of a distributional requirement in ethnic studies. Although she understands the difficulties behind making such a change in a short period of time, she said Salovey could have mentioned the potential requirement in his email to foster public discussion.

Holden said it is understandable that the University is not adopting the distributional requirement right now because related departments do not have the resources to provide so many students with quality educational experiences. Holden said it would be unrealistic to expect the administration to meet all student demands in such a limited amount of time, adding that he views the action steps as compromises for the time being in an ongoing effort to establish a more tolerant campus community. He also said students will continue to hold the University accountable to its proposed changes and future policy developments.

In explaining why such a requirement was not installed, Salovey told the News that changes in distributional requirements are decided upon by the Yale College faculty and would likely require a lengthy period of study.

“The requirements of the Yale College curriculum are set by the Yale College faculty itself. I would suspect that changes to the curriculum would take serious study over a good bit of time, as they did the last time the curriculum was changed,” he said.

Salovey also said giving programs such as ER&M departmental status is a long process with multiple levels of approval. He added that departmental status might not always be advantageous for an interdisciplinary field, citing programs in Cognitive Science and American Studies as examples.

In developing these policies, Salovey said various portions of the Yale community contributed opinions and expertise. He said he met with the University Cabinet and held conference calls with the Corporation, as well as alumni leaders. Salovey also said he and members of his office reached out to the deans of several professional schools, students across the University, residential college masters and cultural center directors.

Salovey’s email said these are the first steps Yale will take to create a more inclusive and diverse community, and that he hopes the policies will help guide universities across the country in addressing similar issues of inequality.

“In a time when universities and communities around the country are coming together to address long-standing inequalities, I believe that Yale can and should lead the way. Many of you have proposed ideas for constructive steps forward, and my hope is that our collective endeavors can become a model for others to emulate,” the email read.

• je2016

Not terribly surprised, but Salovey’s response is pretty much “we will not do anything.” The FAS committee will at best shuffle faculty from A to B; most likely, departments will re-label the research of the people they intended to hire anyway. The $50 million diversity initiative is very similar.

The decision about Christakis is a complete cave-in to alums who are reading about campus events in the national media and misunderstanding what happened. This is not about threats to free speech; this is about stopping the posturing and self-promotion and thinking about what people need and how they should be treated. Things like respect are not left-wing conspiracies. The two Christakis have made clear their primary goal is to show how smart they are and to advance their reputation in the national spotlight. This disqualifies them from being a Yale College Master, because the people in that position should be most concerned about their
    students.

Alums should not be worried that Yale is being taken over by crazies. They *should* worry that it is and has been on a long, slow drift to mediocrity. The people in charge are much more worried about themselves than the institution. There is a lot of talk about “excellence” but it is completely empty. This is another sad example of the complete lack of real leadership.

• Jawaralal_Schwartz

As someone very concerned about what I read and hear of this controversy, I also admit to being somewhat confused by a lot of it, such as your assertion that this is a do-nothing response. Rather it seems like a major cave, and possibly warranted, even if spurred by a bushel full of bad behavior and inept communications. I can’t see an overpowering focus on “self” vs. institution that’s new in New Haven. Academia has always been dog-eat-dog. Bow wow. What’s changed?

• Phil Ostrand

Actually we are concerned that Yale is no longer providing a rigorous academic challenge to students. We are concerned that Yale is not providing students with the ability to achieve and change the world for the better when they leave. We are worried that in the name of safety, we are creating an environment that does not build strong and resilient people.

I am sorry, but F bombing a Master in my day like that would have gotten me expelled. You can be emotional, you can be angry, but students do not have the right to disrespect others like that. It is flat out wrong. There are no excuses.

Alums are concerned about this administration. Yale always changes. It always has and always will. Alums want it to change so to as to allow students to excel when they leave. We are concerned this is no longer the case.

• 100wattlightbulb

It’s no longer the case. When academics were shoved aside for touchy feely inclusiveness- that ship sailed and is now gaining steam.

• je2016

I’ll bet that in your day the Masters would not treat their students with the arrogant scorn Christakis uses.

By the way, do you realize that in a big meeting with Silliman students, Dean Holloway basically had to tell Christakis to shut up, in front of dozens of students? Christakis was talking and talking, making it clear he had no interest in what the students had to say. Do you want to get rid of Holloway?

• Ralphiec88

You’ve repeatedly talked about “scorn”, but I have to wonder if this is just a rallying cry after your original complaints and actions proved untenable. The email is respectful throughout. Even while surrounded and harangued Christakis was respectful. The “scorn” seems to be coming from you.

• Robert Ajolotl

Right. It would send a great message about Yale’s priorities if they removed the Masters because they presented a perspective that was unpopular with some students.

• je2016

One thing you may not realize is that these two were extremely unpopular with students before all this stuff blew up. And they had the biggest issues with some *white* students. (Again: a lot of white students really hate them.) The Christakis view Silliman as platform to achieve fame and greatness, and that does not leave a lot of time for being Masters.

I think the email the College sent out about Halloween costumes was silly. But it sends a lot of silly emails. We ignore them. The email the Master sent out was “Me Me Me I am an important early childhood educator Me Me Me and if you see a racist costume ignore it because Me Me Me.” I personally did not find it offensive — I was just disgusted that this huge narcissist was running a college.

• Tim Steele

Seriously? This is a college master and his wife – not your
          mom and dad, for goodness sake. I was in Trumbull for 4 years and barely had a conversation with my master beyond the exchange of a few pleasantries here and there. Other students had a closer relationship – so what? What do you want this couple to do for you –walk you to class, pick your courses for you, call your parents when you’re feeling sad? I’m utterly disgusted with the behavior of these Silliman students. Don’t like your master? Get on with your life or transfer to another college – just please stop whining about it.

• Ralphiec88

Your misrepresentation of the email makes your other claims highly suspect

• Robert Ajolotl

So what, a Master at Yale is a bit bombastic and self promoting. Why else do the job if you aren’t going to have some fun with it. It’s a normal part of life to navigate this type of character, learn what you can from them.

• Ralphiec88

I have not seen anyone present a shred of evidence to support your claims. Alums are reading the statements of actual students on YDN, Youtube, and other outlets, and they are not misunderstanding, they are appalled. Meanwhile protesters have veered from one untenable position to another (now the protests are about “excellence”? Please don’t insult our intelligence) You can throw out as many red herrings as you want, but you can’t change the fact that what you’re seeing is natural criticism of things that deserve to be criticized.

• Yale1984

Yes, informed and appalled.

• je2016

Really? These claims about violence are simply false. False. The same with the claims about disruption. There has been no interruption of classes, exams, and all the other stuff that happens here.

I did not say the *protests* were about excellence, I said Salovey throws the word around. And given his complete lack of interest in guiding this university to be what it was and can be, it’s hollow.

• Pitmaster

What’s your view on spitting on people and threatening college Masters?

• Ralphiec88

Such an obvious straw man. I made no claims about violence. You’d rather make stuff up than listen?

• branford73

You should read the open message Christakis sent to the Silliman community a few days ago. It showed a better sensibility and background on these issues than you give them credit for. Let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll post the link.

• johnsmith363

Salovey should not have offered any concessions to the whiny brats of the grievance mafia. Yale is clearly being taken over by crazies when this is what the administration is focusing on.

• akihirochan

Wholeheartedly agree with je2016. The Christakis are terrible representatives of Yale who personify institutional racism through their obtuse and callous disregard of student concerns about racism. They are unsuited to be college master and associate master. Once again, Yale is catering to those who seek to deflect student concerns about racism. This is not about free speech. It is a matter of students calling out administrators who protect and sustain hostile learning and living environments for students of color. I hope students will continue their protests until Yale becomes a more inclusive institution—do not let these setbacks discourage you from speaking out against terrible administrators like the Christakis #InsolidaritywithYale

• Moi

How sheltered does one have to be to claim that an email stating that students should be trusted to use their own judgment to choose a Halloween costume creates a hostile learning and living environment? These aggrieved students should stop by an inner city school to dodge weapons, gangs and drugs and then see if they still think Yale is a hostile learning environment.

I also looked up Master Christakis’ bio. He apparently worked for years as a doctor in hospice care. Perhaps he has a little more perspective on what is important in life and what warrants such emotional reactions, and students can learn something from him. The patience he has displayed with these students amazes me.

• Pitmaster

Why does it take $50 million to increase faculty diversity? I suspect there is no shortage of potential candidates for Yale positions — just put up a sign in the HR office (or whatever its called) saying “No White Men Allowed” and be done with it.

• 100wattlightbulb

Best comment here. And most truthful.

• Debbie

The clown car is speeding out of control, so let’s apply the gas instead of the brakes, and fund more victimology studies and coddling.

It will be entertaining to watch the tantrums and feigned indignation when the fragile snowflakes decide that this it isn’t enough craven capitulation to mend their delicate hurt feelings.

• http://www.biocompta.com/ cmgoodman

Response to je2016 – The issues raised by Next Yale primarily were self-serving to a few stakeholders. The issue of Nicholas and Erika Christakis should be a no-brainer. At a time when healthcare is shifting the pre-medical education away straight lab sciences to balance social sciences and hard sciences, Yale has responded with beginning to develop classes in Psychology and Sociology, which can address social issues in society and healthcare. If you did not check the Blue Book, Dr. Christakis teaches on Health of the Public. Living and studying at Yale is living on an island for 4-5 years as an undergraduate. Where you go from there, depends not just on your own actions but the support of others. I believe Nicholas and Erika Christakis will be there for Silliman College students.

• Guy

Salovey caves. A tower of jello.

• micah09

Does Salovey have a bust of Chamberlain in his office?

• LizzeW

‘…many students interviewed stressed that there is more work to be done, noting that some of NEXT Yale’s demands were not met’ — perhaps “some of NEXT Yale’s demands” were not met, because “some” of the demands were overstepping the mark? Why on earth should NEXT Yale expect every demand be met? Also the point about the funding increase only coming into place next year, do people not understand how budgets work?

• dzmlsience

In hundreds of letters from alumni, Peter Salovey was asked to stand ground against the childish “demands” of the petulant and entitled leftist multiculti students at Yale. As many had feared when he was offered the presidency, he has shown weakness in the face of political pressure. Re-affirming support for the Silliman masters was easy – there was YouTube video evidence and national disgust with the belligerent students.

Rather than following through to the logical conclusion – delivering a public smack-down of the silly midnight demands – Salovey has decided to create an appearance of capitulation. Having seen what happens to presidents of other universities (like Harvard and Missouri) who insult the sensibilities of their own snowflake communities, he has made the calculation that presiding over a Yale slouching toward mediocrity is better than finding a real job in the productive economy.

Perhaps this will end up as a case study in a course on leadership someday. Hopefully, Yale will still be considered a great university then.

• HansC

The recent events at Yale, and at other universities nationwide, have the appearance of a classic divide-and-conquer game being played out

Please see “The class character of the student protests on US campuses”, http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/11/17/prot-n17.html

“Racist poison, along with anti-Semitism, xenophobia and other forms
    of bigotry and reaction, must be strenuously opposed wherever it raises
    its head. Such a fight, however, can only be successfully waged as part
    of a broader struggle in defense of the democratic and social rights of
    working people and youth, and in opposition to capitalism.”

“The student protests initiated over the past two weeks have a
    decidedly upper middle class character, aimed not at fighting for social
    equality but at carving out greater privileges for relatively privileged African American and other minority professionals…This will benefit a small number of people and change nothing about the desperate social conditions facing large sections of the working class, including a large majority of African American workers and youth.”

“None of the burning issues affecting millions of people of all
    backgrounds have been raised in the protests: growing poverty and social
    inequality, the assault on democratic rights, the imperialist war
    drive, the enormous debt burden faced by students and the fact that
    higher education as a whole is increasingly out of reach for working
    class youth.”

• marcedward

Free advice – never give into to toddlers throwing tantrums. Rewarding bad behavior only generates more bad behavior.

• Tim Steele

more and more diversity for the sake of diversity (i.e. hiring more faculty of color). But where’s the diversity of thought on Yale’s campus?

• dzmlsience

External appearance is all that matters with respect to diversity. That’s why you have people getting tans and kinky hair-dos and “identifying” as black. That’s where the goodies are, baby.

• Boola97

Let’s see how much of that additional budget for the cultural centers goes towards actual cultural education and exploration. I’m guessing, not much.

• branford11

the discrepancy between the universally positive comments on this from recent/current yalies on facebook, and the universally negative comments from older alums and randos on this and other news sites is always really funny to me. reminds me of Bill O’Reilly after the 2012 election: “it’s not a traditional America anymore”. correct! keep whining old ppl, there’s nothing you can do about it

• Pitmaster

Not necessarily. The current Yalies who disagree with this expensive sop to the yowling mob of the the so-called “marginalized” — and there are a hell of a lot of them — know to keep their mouths shut or be screamed at, spat on, ostracized and branded as racists.

• 100wattlightbulb

Exactly.

• dzmlsience

I get a kick out of stupid people who have no future. What we’ve gotten through work you will not be able to confiscate through taxes. You will have the jobs we give you and the opportunities we think you deserve. If we don’t like your attitude then you are…nothing. But fear not, brave branford11, you will find a small cushy corner of academia to infest and scratch out a living. And you will always have your moral superiority to keep you warm at night.

• 100wattlightbulb

Ok. They removed my comment because it had a naughty word. Begins with S ends with T. I’ll work on my vocab. I guess the reason so many people want to come to the US and to Yale then is because of the CRUMMY legacy left by all those old racist traditional white men?

• Colleen Craig

In solidarity with Next Yale, I would like to suggest a few more demands for their agenda. 1. In addition to renaming Calhoun College, remove the statue of Nathan Hale, who gave his life for a country founded on stolen indigenous land. 2. Change the lux et veritas motto to English, as many of the incoming students (black and white!) will not have been exposed to Latin, and should not have to learn under the banner of discriminatory symbolism. 3.) Abolish cap and gowns at graduation, as emanating from English tradition, and a country that was, at one time, one of the great colonial oppressors in the world. “Pick up the white man’s burden,’ and all that. 4.) Let go of the black work force who labor in predominantly blue color positions as a means of cleansing institutionalized racism. If the workers prefer to keep their jobs, ensure that they treat the enrolled students with greater professionalism. (One cafeteria matron often referred to my daughter as ‘baby girl,’ which warmed her far from home, often lonely heart.) But this is no regional endearment, but simply Aunt Jemima shuck and jive, and it must go. Immediately. 5.) Abolish Master’s Teas as representative of white elitism. And finally, demand that all students at the new diversity centers read Kurt Vonnegut’s Harrison Bergeron, for a true understanding of how to create an equal and just society. Of course, in crafting these demands to the extant version, the students may suffer additional health issues, but such is the cost of revolution.

• 100wattlightbulb

You jest, but, sadly, many will take you seriously.

• dzmlsience

These folks are mostly ethnic or gender study students of one type or another so there wasn’t a lot of studying going on anyway. As for health, not many triathletes in this motley group (although their pot smoking may indeed be up over the last few weeks and that can’t be too healthy).

• Sunshine43

More waah waah waah!

• Colleen Craig

What meaneth thou?

• 100wattlightbulb

“Frankly, I believe that this is mass hysteria generated by the Ferguson incident and the Black Lives Matter cabal,” said Bishop E.W. Jackson Sr., president of StandAmerica, which is “non-profit organization that reaches across racial and cultural lines to bring people together around the foundational principles that made America great.

Recently, STAND led a campaign to have a bust of Planned Parenthood founder and eugenicist Margaret Sanger removed from the National Portrait Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

“It is very unlikely that with a black President and black Attorney General enforcing civil rights laws, that suddenly racism on campus is rising,” he said.

The movement to stir up racial tension has other motives, he said.

• dzmlsience

Let’s keep calling it Calhoun College but, when anyone asks, just tell them it was named for Jim Calhoun the former UConn Husky basketball coach. Of course the humorless feminists will probably go hysterical and demand that Trumbull be re-named Auriemma College. Just tell them you will but then never really do it. That drives girls crazy.

• Pitmaster

How about this — round up all of the marginalized students who need safe spaces (aka the I Want My Mommy Coalition) and transfer them to Calhoun & the new colleges. If there are too many in the IWMMC to fit, offer preference to the most victimized. As far as I can tell, this would be women, African-Americans and Hispanics. This group, the WAAHs, get first dibs.

When they’re safely inside, install state of the art videoconferencing capability so all classes can be taken online. Then weld the gates shut so they never have to risk encountering anyone from the outside.

This will obsiously cost a lot of money, but there’s a great way to kill two birds with one stone. Sell the naming rights to the colleges, just like ballparks do. Pampers, Playskool and Toys R Us should be all over this.

Problem solved.

• Trimalchio

Great, so the solution to a few days of whining by a handful of extremist agitators is to bribe them with tens of millions of dollars that comes from other people — tuition, alumni, and the endowment. Be prepared to do that every few months.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no “but.” Except at Yale.

• dzmlsience

Be prepared to be disappointed in Yale. How can alumni continue to give knowing the funds will be frittered away for the president’s personal political benefit?

https://youtu.be/bxdeonvVfbU

• Pitmaster

Switch your donations to one of the athletic teams. Over there, kids compete to play based on talent, work ethic, character and sacrifice for the team, not on who cries victim the loudest.

• dzmlsience

They should have a team for that. I mean a team for crying “victim” the loudest. Yale would be in the pole position!

• Pitmaster

They already do. It’s called New Yale.

• aaleli

Scary because it isn’t really even satirical anymore.

• Elliewho

There were budget cuts last year across all departments and staff. I am incensed that Dean Tamar Gendler had to beg for donors in order to expand the CS department with 7 faculty positions and new lab space (the fist major expansion for this important department in 30 years); yet suddenly, overnight, Yale finds the money to develop a race, ethnicity and identity studies center plus 4 new Faculty of Arts and Sciences positions and additional teaching staff in this area of “study.” I will not give money to Yale to placate whiners.

• Pitmaster

I was unaware of this neglect of a serious academic discipline. Thank you for providing this information. I share your irritation that tens of millions of dollars can appear overnight to pacify a handful of whiny undergraduates with silly feels-good programs while legitimate academic endeavor goes begging.

Give your money to the crew team or orchestra — they work on the merit system.

• dzmlsience

Will “Shrieking Girl” of YouTube infamy be required to make a formal apology for her behavior and for making Yale an object of ridicule? I do not think she should be expelled if she makes a contrite public apology. But if she refuses, she should be sent down immediately.

• Tim Steele

Let’s do anything to distract us from the fact that black under
    achievement isn’t the fault of whites. Affirmative Action, healing
    spaces and diversity classes will not make engineering courses more
    understandable. It only puts unqualified people in a situation where
    failure is almost guaranteed. This nonsense is simply wasting money and
    time with the blame game hiding whose really to blame for blacks failing
    to succeed.

There’s more than adequate dissent in the online community to prove the
    BLM stance on whatever issue they touch upon is unacceptable to most
    people. It’s time for people of all colors to recognize the divisive
    nature of this behavior and make some noise about it.

Whites have tolerated more than enough brow beating for sins of the
    past. It’s time for whites to stop being cowards and demand the respect
    any person deserves.

• Sunshine43

Well said. Kudos.

• je2016

This comment board makes a very compelling case for there being a problem with race relations at Yale. Many of the comments presume, without any evidence, that Yale has minority students because it has let standards slip. When the minority students say they feel like they are treated as if they do not have a right to be at Yale, think about that.

• dzmlsience

Please show a single post in which there is an assertion or assumption that Yale has minority students because the university has let standards slip. I can save you the trouble: there are none.

So what would motivate you to say that? Perhaps you have an agenda? Perhaps you want to create the appearance of bigotry as the basis for yet another minority grievance? If you want to instantly remove the self-doubt of minority students (as well as the suspicion and resentment of white and asian students) try killing affirmative action. If you won’t do that then we should have an entirely different level of suspicion about your true motives.

• Moi

It’s not letting standards slip. It’s different standards for different groups.

See, e.g.: https://www.princeton.edu/~tje/files/webAdmission%20Preferences%20Espenshade%20Chung%20Walling%20Dec%202004.pdf

Here we find our first indication
      of the strength of preferences for underrepresented minority students.
      African-American students have nearly an 80 percent better chance of being
      admitted than their white counterparts, while the Hispanic advantage is
      reflected in almost 50 percent higher odds compared to whites. By contrast,
      Asian applicants and those from other races face lower odds of admission—
      on the order of 17 or 18 percent—in relation to comparable whites.
      Model 4 examines preferences for minority students when SAT score is
      controlled. Including both SAT score and race/ethnicity represents a significant
      improvement over models with either one alone. SAT score and race
      are correlated. Average scores for applicants in each race/ethnic group are as
      follows: white (1347), African American (1202), Hispanic (1230), Asian
      (1363), and other races (1322). Because groups with lower SAT scores are
      given an admission preference, variations in SAT scores appear to matter
      more in admission decisions once race variables are included. More importantly,
      the admission bonus given to African-American and Hispanic students
      is much larger after controlling for SAT score. The Asian disadvantage
      also strengthens when controlling for SAT score, because Asian students as
      a group have the highest average scores

• Tim Steele

Are you suggesting it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy? I think there may be some agreement on that point. Regardless, it’s a discussion worth having. Are some of these students having problems for reasons other than the institutional racism they are so quick to blame?

And on your first point, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to suggest that admissions standards, based on academic merit, are lowered in order to create a more “diverse” class of students. The same could be said for recruited athletes. It’s really no secret. The evidence is there if you look for it.

• disqus_fvLIBK8ktD

Is there in fact evidence of significantly different standards being applied e.g. in SAT scores? Do you have any evidence of which attitude came first and which is a response to the other?

• aaleli

Well let’s just make ALL those available and find out why don’t we? No names. Just statistics.

• Moi

I just posted another comment showing statistical proof of different standards for different groups, but it is awaiting moderation. The fact is that most people are aware of these differing standards. Of course this is going to breed some resentment. I always tried to treat all people with respect regardless, because that was the reality of the situation, and everyone has to live together. As someone else suggested, this will continue to be a problem until all admission becomes color blind and solely merit-based (including for legacies), but that will never happen. So unless someone can come up with another answer, all sides should be honest about acknowledging where these feelings are coming from, and at the very least still treat everyone with respect. Denying the statistical facts doesn’t help anyone.

• aaleli

It’s because those who live and go to class and see the applications, know this to be true. It may be an ugly truth, but that doesn’t diminish its truth.

• nicholasstix

That’s a great solution! Lie, and shoot the messenger.

After over 50 years of massive (300 SAT points) institutionalized racism, cheating qualified, competent whites on behalf of first unqualified, incompetent, racist blacks, then Hispanics, and now God knows how many other unqualified, incompetent, racist groups, you have the unmitigated gall to play dumb? There are whole aircraft hangars full of honest literature on affirmative action. Don’t you dare pull that Big Lie “without any evidence.” Next thing, you’ll lie and say there’s no such thing as IQ or race.

Nicholas Stix, Uncensored