Last updated at 6:58 p.m.

A twenty-nine-year-old male was shot in the chest while sitting in a parked car on Chapel Street Thursday evening.

According to the New Haven Police Department, the homicide occurred just west of the Ella T. Grasso Boulevard. Emergency responders were dispatched to the scene at 7:40 p.m. The male, identified by police as Antoine Heath, was pronounced dead at Yale-New Haven Hospital at 8:09 p.m. The suspect remains at large and is considered armed and dangerous, police said.

In press notice sent shortly after 9 p.m., NHPD spokesman David Hartman said detectives from the department’s Major Crime Division and Bureau of Investigation are collecting evidence at the scene and interviewing potential witnesses.

Although the shooter has not yet been identified, Hartman said “a black man or woman with shoulder-length braids or dread-locks was seen fleeing from the area of the shooting into Edgewood Park.”

Hartman added that a witness saw a dark sedan speeding away from the area of the homicide after the shot was fired. An updated press release indicated that police are confident that the perpetrator specifically targeted the victim, and that the shooting was not random.

The police have requested that city residents avoid Edgewood Park and the surrounding area while the homicide investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information about the homicide is encouraged to reach out to NHPD.

SARA SEYMOUR