This weekend, both the men’s and the women’s golf teams swung to the top of their tournaments.

The men’s team traveled to Ardmore, Pennsylvania to play in the widely-recognized Princeton Invitational. After the first day of play, the Elis led the tournament by four strokes. In the second day, the Bulldogs increased their lead, eventually finishing first (+11). Temple University came in second (+26), 15 strokes behind the Elis. With their third tournament victory of the season, the Bulldogs also marked their sixth win in the last seven years at the Princeton Invitational.

The women’s team traveled instead to East Providence, Rhode Island. to participate in the Brown Bear Invitational. Having completed the first round in first place and two strokes ahead of second place Princeton, the Bulldogs expanded their lead in the second round. They eventually finished +21.

“We’ve historically had a lot of success at the Princeton event, and to see the tournament hosted on two of the best championship courses in the country had us fired up,” captain Will Davenport ’15 said. “We definitely were pleased to win by a healthy margin, especially with the strength of the teams represented.”

The second-best finish earned by an Ivy League team was Princeton’s +33 performance — 22 shots behind Yale. Davenport said he was very pleased that the team won with such a comfortable lead, especially considering the strength of the competitors.

In addition to winning the tournament, the Bulldogs had four players place in the top 10. Thomas Greenhalgh ’15 tied for second and Joe Willis ’16 followed in fourth place. Li Wang ’17 and Davenport both tied for ninth.

Greenhalgh said that coming in second place individually was frustrating since he believed he could have won the event. However, he added that what matters the most is the win for the team.

“It is one of my proudest moments as a Yale golfer to see this team rise to the occasion on the toughest tests and play driven golf,” Davenport said.

Willis agreed that the team performed well and said it was probably their best team round of the spring.

The women’s strong individual performances matched those of the men’s team. Three of their players were in the top 10, with Elisabeth Bernabe ’17 tying for first place.

“I just felt like every part of my game was solid,” Bernabe said. “I think that as long as my confidence is up and continues to grow, I’ll do well.”

Other top-10 players were Jennifer Peng ’18, who placed fourth, and Sandy Wongwaiwate ’17, who returned to the fields after being sidelined with an injury for a seventh-place tie.

Captain Marika Liu ’15 said the opening of the Yale Golf Course was critical for the team’s win. She added that Yale also had a stacked roster at this tournament with the return of Wongwaiwate, a key starting golfer.

“It was key for our captain Marika to lead the team as she has done so successfully this season, and for Sandy to come back and do well after her injury,” head coach Chawwadee Rompothong ’00 said. “Practicing on grass is different than what we’ve had to play on — indoors, and on mats. That made a huge difference for us this weekend.”

The next men’s tournament is on April 18, when Yale will host its Yale Spring Invitational at the Yale Golf Course. The women team’s next travel to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on April 24 for their three-day Ivy Championship.

DANIELA BRIGHENTI