New Haven’s only spin studio, Shift Cycling, opened Monday on Crown Street.

The studio is located on 199 Crown St., just around the corner from Elevate Nightclub. The studio offers classes with different training focuses, such as strength or endurance, and various lengths, ranging from 30 to 90 minutes. The studio also offers classes for disabled people, elementary school age children and families.

“I wanted a place where people could forget about the outside world — their business, school, relationships — and get in a dark room and go into their own place,” said Jenn Kuehn, founder, owner and trainer at Shift Cycle.

Kuehn said her experience as a collegiate swimmer and her career as a personal trainer eventually led her to conceptualize Shift Cycling. In March 2014, she opened the first Shift studio in Guilford, which she said was an immediate success. As a result, she decided the following June to expand her studio to New Haven, and she began looking at potential locations.

Kuehn recruited regular Guilford spinner Bridget Winterhalter MED ’16, a student in the physician associate program, to work at the New Haven studio, where she is currently employed.

Winterhalter, who hails from Philadelphia, said she was surprised upon moving to New Haven that there were not more spin and fitness studios in the city. She said Shift Cycle’s New Haven location will fill a demand around campus for a spin studio.

“This is the best thing ever away from school,” Winterhalter said. “I think it will attract a lot of Yale students.”

The studio is currently offering promotions to attract students, including a two for $20 class special and an unlimited 30-day pass for $150.

Kuehn said the studio’s name reflects its mantra — to shift one’s focus towards self-improvement by working hard within one’s means.

“In the middle of ‘shift’ is the word ‘if,’ ” she said. “I wanted people to consider the ‘if’ — what if you followed your passion, your heart and what was important to you?”

Members of the Yale community who showed up for opening-day classes expressed excitement about the prospect of a new fitness option in Elm City.

Kate Hunter, a writing tutor for Jonathan Edwards College, attended a class yesterday at the recommendation of a friend who frequents the Guilford location. She added that she is excited to have a studio fitness option within a walkable distance from the Yale campus.

Heather Ferguson SPH ’16, who also participated in an opening-day class, said she enjoyed the workout and plans to come back.

199 Crown St. was formerly home to Chameleon Haircolor Café and Spa.

CAROLINE HART