A shooting early Saturday morning resulted in the city’s second homicide of the year.

At 1:36 a.m. on Feb. 7, officers were dispatched to 66 Second Street after a caller to 911 reported hearing several gunshots, a press release from New Haven Police Department said Saturday morning.

Officers found a female victim, in her forties, who had been shot in the torso. She was found outside the rear of the building and pronounced deceased at the scene.

In the press release, NHPD spokesperson David Hartman said several bullet casings had been found in the snow, and that detectives from NHPD’s Bureau of Identification are working to positively identify her.

The press release added that police are also investigating the possibility of a connection between a vehicle pursued by officers from the scene to West Haven, and the shooting itself. The car had been identified by a witness at the scene as similar to one seen leaving the area after the shooting. New Haven Police had lost sight of the vehicle during the pursuit, Hartman said.

The car was located on Gretta Street in West Haven, where it had crashed. The male driver was taken to Yale New-Haven Hospital where he is being guarded by officers pending interviews with detectives.

Hartman said more information on the case will likely take time to develop.

STEPHANIE ADDENBROOKE