Students seeking a custom-made salad or smoothie from the New Haven Salad Shop can now pick up food from the restaurant’s new location at 9 Whitney Ave.

In 2011, two Yale students, Jerry Choinski ’12 and Etkin Tekin ’12 founded the Little Salad Shop, which has since been renamed the New Haven Salad Shop. The two founded the shop, located at 45 High, with support from the Yale Entrepreneurial Institute, which provides mentorship and grants to students and faculty starting scalable business projects. The Little Salad Shop’s second location opened on Jan. 22 in response to growing demand, according to employees at the restaurant.

“We are popular, so we opened a new location,” said Shanequa Williams, an employee at the High Street New Haven Salad Shop. “Both locations are doing well and serving Yale students.”

Six Timothy Dwight college students interviewed said they were excited about the prospect of a healthy lunch or dinner option close to their dormitory. The restaurant offers customized salads and wraps ranging from $8 to $10.

Adriana Embus ’17, who lives in TD, said she is excited about the new food option that is accessible to residents of the area around TD, adding that the growing number of businesses behind TD is making it an attractive area for students.

Students outside of TD echoed this sentiment, noting that they would be willing to walk to Whitney Avenue to go to affordable, healthy restaurants such as the New Haven Salad Shop.

Anna Russo ’17, who lives in Berkeley College, said that with the recent developments of high-end stores on Broadway, the Whitney Avenue area has become relatively less expensive and has more to offer on a student budget.

“Especially with the opening of Emporium DNA and Barbour, as well as the build-up on Chapel, the Broadway and Chapel areas are becoming less and less attractive to actual students,” Russo said. “The TD area is a gem, and I’m willing to make the trek.”

Allie Banwell ’17, echoed that sentiment, noting that the trio of New Haven Salad Shop, Koffee? and Go Greenly will likely draw students, despite their distance from central campus.

Nicole Wilson, a sales associate at Go Greenly, said she thinks the New Haven Salad Shop’s presence will have a positive affect on her frozen yogurt business because it will attract more health-conscious consumers to the area.

“I think on campus, to a large extent there is very much an awareness of being healthy, apart from late-night food,” said Isi Hummel ’17.

Correction: Feb. 5

A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that the salad shop’s new branch is on Whalley Avenue. It is, in fact, on Whitney Avenue.

CAROLINE HART