Several members of the 2014 Yale football squad were recently honored with local and national awards.

The New Haven Register bestowed upon running back Tyler Varga ’15 the Dave Solomon Memorial Sportsperson of the Year award. In the article describing the award, the Register called the reigning Ivy League Offensive MVP “a complex athlete with NFL ability.” Varga will pursue a professional football career and has signed with Branford local agent Joe Linta, who complimented Varga in the Register for his work ethic and intelligence. Varga will next take the field on Jan. 24 in the Senior Bowl as the first Yale player to participate in the event in 64 years.

Varga and wide receiver Grant Wallace ’15 were named second-team All-Americans by The Sports Network and Beyond Sports, respectively. The two senior offensive stars were also named first-team All-Ivy League and All-New England team after their Football Championship Subdivision-leading seasons. This season, Varga led the FCS in scoring, averaging 15.6 points per game, thanks to his school-record 26 touchdowns, 22 of which were on the ground. Wallace led the FCS in receiving yards per game with 113.9.

Further, quarterback Morgan Roberts ’16 and left guard Will Chism ’15 were two of 80 student-athletes named to the fall Academic All-Ivy team. Both players started all 10 games in 2014 and were key members of the top offense in the FCS.

The Bulldogs went 8–2 this season en route to a third-place finish in the Ivy League.

MAYA SWEEDLER