Yale admitted 753, or 16 percent, of its early applicants to the class of 2019 from a pool of 4,693. Just over half, 57 percent, were deferred for reconsideration in the spring, while 26 percent were denied admission and 1 percent withdrew or submitted incomplete applications.

This year’s early acceptance rate is not much higher than last year’s of 15.5 percent. Slightly fewer students applied early this year than last year.

Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeremiah Quinlan said this year’s early applicant pool was one of the most diverse pools the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has ever considered.

“We’re seeing more diversity in our early applicants, and we’re responding to that diversity by admitting a few more students in our early action rounds,” he said.

The University, which is aiming for a freshman class of about 1,360 students to enroll in the fall of 2015, plans to admit somewhere between 1,300 and 1,400 more students in the spring.

Mark Dunn, director of outreach and recruitment for the Admissions Office, said applications from international students and students who self-identify as members of minority racial/ethnic groups grew significantly in this year’s pool.

The Admissions Office has made great efforts to produce outreach messages for prospective students who self-identity as members of these groups, Dunn said. He added that Yale’s targeted campaigns to high-achieving, low-income students as well as the University’s long-standing partnership with QuestBridge have encouraged many students to take a closer look at Yale and its financial aid policies.

“Through our new video showcase of Yale’s uniquely vibrant cultural houses, the Multicultural Open House we hosted in October and other targeted messages, I think our team is doing a great job helping students from all backgrounds see that Yale is a place that celebrates diversity in every imaginable form,” Dunn said.

Forty of the admitted students were “matched” to the University through the QuestBridge National College Match program — the highest number of matches Yale has made since partnering with QuestBridge in 2007.

That number represents a 67 percent increase from last year’s figure of 24 students. The National College Match helps high-achieving, low-income students gain admission and full-ride scholarships to universities like Yale, Princeton and Columbia by allowing students to rank preferences from QuestBridge’s list of partner colleges, and apply to schools through a single application.

Students “match” to the school ranked highest on their list that also wants to admit them through the program, and are guaranteed scholarships covering 100 percent of their financial need. Applicants who neither match with Yale nor bind to another QuestBridge partner college are then transferred to Yale’s regular decision pool.

“This was the strongest group of QuestBridge finalists I have reviewed since beginning the QuestBridge partnership with Yale in 2007,” Quinlan said. “It is wonderful to be able to offer these 40 students admission to Yale and a financial aid award that does not require their parents to pay anything towards the entire cost of attendance.”

University President Peter Salovey made a commitment at the White House Summit on College Opportunity last January to increase the number of QuestBridge finalists enrolling at the University by 50 percent. While Yale has traditionally enrolled roughly 50 to 60 QuestBridge finalists each year, 80 QuestBridge finalists enrolled in the class of 2018. Twenty of these students were admitted through National College Match.

QuestBridge CEO and co-founder Ana McCullough said the organization is impressed by Yale’s commitment to recruiting students from all backgrounds, and the strides they’ve made in increasing the number of QuestBridge finalists enrolled at Yale.

She added that QuestBridge saw a 14 percent increase from last year in the total number of matches that were made across their 35 partner colleges.

“We were able to match just over 500 students nationally, which really symbolizes the commitment our colleges have towards increasing socio-economic diversity on their campuses,” she said.

Quinlan said the Admissions Office is looking forward to reviewing more applications from QuestBridge finalists during the regular decision round, and that the number of finalists enrolling as freshmen next year will most likely meet or exceed last year’s number of 80, which was a record-high for the University.

All other schools in the Ivy League have released their early acceptance decisions. Princeton and Brown both saw higher early acceptance rates this year, admitting 19.9 and 20 percent of applicants, respectively, while Harvard admitted 16.5 percent of its early applicants. Meanwhile, the early acceptance rates of Dartmouth and the University of Pennsylvania dropped to 26 and 24 percent, respectively, this year. Cornell and Columbia have released admissions decisions to their early applicants, but have not published figures.

Although students who apply to Yale early do not have a better chance of acceptance, Quinlan said, the admissions rate for the early applicant pool is typically higher than the regular decision pool because of the number of students applying with ties to the institution, such as recruited athletes or children of alumni. He added that students who have their applications ready by the early action deadline of Nov. 1 tend to have some of the highest credentials of any secondary school students in the world.

“The entire Admissions Office is looking forward to connecting with our Early Action and QuestBridge admitted students,” Dunn said. “Our admitted students are an amazing group of young people with much to contribute to Yale and much to gain from four years on Yale’s campus. We are fortunate to have the opportunity to help introduce these admitted students to the Yale experience over the next few months.”

• 100wattlightbulb

If it were really true that the Quest Bridge kids were meeting the same academic standards as everyone else, this would be good for Yale. But they are not, as is evidenced by the growing need for social and academic remediation, and everyone knows it. It’s the dirty little secret. No different than affirmative action. It’s a strange notion that not preparing financially, for 18 years, for the future of their own children, has become a badge of honor. As always, the middle class gets screwed over. Rant away all you like. We have had the dumbing down of America’s public schools, now we have the dumbing down of America’s colleges.

• KewlKollegeKid

I’ll make sure to tell that to my brother who was matched with a 2320, 790 SAT2s, 4.0 GPA, etc.

Look at the actual statistics please <3 Quest scholars tend to do very very well at their institutions, being bitter that your child was probably not admitted doesn't help you out 🙂

• 100wattlightbulb

The THRESHOLD is a 27 ACT and a 1250 SAT (Math and reading) for Quest Bridge. Yay for your brother. Remediation is what is new at the Ivies. And, unfortunately, i DO know whereof I speak. This is nothing more than an Obama Chicago – machine arm twisting on higher ed.

• kingkwon

A: This predates Obama’s administration
          B: I can cite evidence, unlike you, about how much standardized test scores correlate to income. This doesn’t make them less qualified. There are International math Olympiad participants in the Questbridge program that did not 700’s on their SAT’s because it’s an expensive ass test to prep for.

• QuizBowler2014GA

What blatant idiocy is in this post; your information based on presumably shoddy research is flawed; there is no concrete threshold. Furthermore, your subsequent comments belie an air of bitterness that has apparently led you to blame some mythical political conspiracy. Obviously, you haven’t paid attention to the previous posters disavow in Yale or any other Ivy of your so-called “remediation”. Unfortunately, it seems you do not know whereof you speak. Next thing, you’ll be saying I only got on Jeopardy! due to “an Obama Chicago arm-twisting”… Please think before you type.

• Ephraim2014

I was matched via QuestBridge to Yale with a 35 ACT and as the valedictorian of my class. I am on track to graduate from Yale with a job at Goldman Sachs, which is not a job that specifically seeks out low income students. It was the education and mentoring that I received at Yale- and that all students at Yale can participate in, not just low income students, that made the difference. QuestBridge brings in distinguished low income students to apply to these colleges. The competition is exceedingly intense (60% filtered through the first round, 90% filtered through the college match scholarship process)- just being a low income student is not enough to get the QuestBridge scholarship. Please do not talk about things you do not know about.

You will point out statistics, I’m sure. The average SAT for matched scholars is somewhere in the 2000s, far below Yale’s average, correct? The problem is that it’s difficult to pinpoint statistics since there are 35 different schools- and Yale constitutes one of the three most selective. Furthermore, the SAT is not the best route of comparison for low income students since most don’t have access to tutoring. SAT scores correlate well with income level. On an academic picture, some 80%+ of these match scholar recipients ranked in the top 5% of their high school class- a statistic which I’m sure is similar to Yale’s.

• 100wattlightbulb

Sing. Dance. Say whatever you like. I know.

• Ephraim2014

If you’re not prepared to critically engage with what you believe in and with those who disagree, don’t comment at all. Unless you can offer proof supporting your points, unless you can list true examples of “remediation” that are only available for low income students (and no- low income groups don’t do what you’re suggesting), don’t comment on what you don’t know of.

• aaleli

I’ve seen the stats. Yours are not the norm. SAT/ACT scores are not good predictors of college success? Tell that to the admissions peeps. The tutoring crap is a flat out lie. If you study the tests online- over and over- you don’t need tutoring. It’s a straw man. Full books are available at the library and used book stores.

• Ephraim2014

They may be useful to some extent, but once a threshold is reached, the difference between a 2000 (the average for a QuestBridge student) and a 2250 (the average for a Yale student) isn’t very significant. A 2000 puts a student at the 93% of the nation; a 2250 puts a student at the 99%. Both students have far exceeded the benchmark numbers for college readiness.

Low income students often lack the guidance from parents or guidance counselors to study for the SAT or the ACT. Many of them work part-time to support the family, cutting down on time to engage with extracurricular and study time relative to other students.

Admissions is selective- and especially selective for low income scholars applying to Yale. Of the over 3000 students who ranked Yale for QuestBridge, only 40 were given the full ride scholarship. Only some 150-200 will be ultimately admitted. Yale doesn’t lower their standards for low income students- the acceptance rate for them is just the same, if not lower.

• kingkwon

If it was a good indicator of success then they wouldn’t be changing the SAT. Every single admissions rep you speak to will always insist gpa is a far greater indicator of success at school than test scores.

• KewlKollegeKid

Also most QB colleges don’t offer remedial classes so. 🙂 And I don’t even know what “social remediation” is.

• Luis Fernandez

Dude, get over yourself. If you or someone you care for didn’t get in, that’s a shame but it’s not a reason to imply that because someone comes from a low-income background they are any less intelligent than those who aren’t.

• CDW 1955

I have no idea what your background is but I have learned since graduating in 1955 that where you start makes a lot of difference and can make achievement much harder. It is not only fair but obligatory that Yale should help these worthy students adapt to an environment that is very new in many respects.

• 100wattlightbulb

It’s new to everyone but legacies.

• Nia Berrian

Next time, reread your comments and cite some evidence. Think before you type. You sound real dumb. Because you might find that with a little intelligence, you could formulate a comment that was not ignorant. A comment that would prove that you are worthy to be a Yale Student.
      If you need any help, contact me or any of the other “remedial” Questies.
      Nia B.
      Yale College ’19

• aaleli

I’m here. Therefore, I think.

• kingkwon

You’re forgetting that a majority of these kids are valedictorians. The only issue is that they are poor. That’s it. Also think about this too. What’s more impressive a kid with a 4.0 gpa but not too many extracurriculars because he’s working to put food on the table and taking care of his siblings, or a kid with all the opportunites in the world with the same gpa? Colleges are looking for kids to provide opportunity too, and who better than one that has been denied such in the past?

• 100wattlightbulb

A majority of the kids who were not accepted or deferred were Valedictorians. There are roughly 26,000 public high schools and 10,700 private- every one of them has a Valedictorian and Salutatorian. Your point is?

• kingkwon

You can’t dumb down the colleges of America by accepting some of the best and brightest. If they are achieving at their current levels with limited resources imagine what they can do with the resources colleges have and not having to work to feed their family? If I’m picking a team of runners for say a 4×100 and one kid runs a 10.5 but only ran 100 meters and another runs an 11.0 but ran 120 meters in their time trial who is faster? That’s the equivalent. Believe me every one of these kids has the goods for Yale

• Quinn Lewis

Why don’t you talk to the President of the Undergraduate Student Government of Princeton, a QuestBridge student who graduated from my high school. Please refrain from spewing your ignorant and utterly defamatory remarks if you neglect to personally acquaint yourself with the students admitted through this amazing program.

Best,
      A member of the Yale Class of 2019

• actualyalestudent

Hi folks (especially the 2019 Yalies!),

Just wanted to let you know that this guy is NOT representative of what people at Yale thing – in fact, I’m like 99% sure he does not go to Yale, lest he might have been cured of some of his ignorance. Some of the smartest, most talented, and most interesting people I’ve met at Yale have been QuestBridge Scholars, and everyone I know here thinks they’re a really valuable part of the community.

100wattlightbulb’s screed about academic standards for QB kids doesn’t even merit a reply, but I’ll say in response to his line about “remediation” comment (probably a veiled attack at the new Summer Scholars program) that there exist immensely talented people from all sorts of backgrounds. Yale is a hard place, and I was lucky enough to be prepared for it quite well by my parents and high school – Yale is doing a great thing by allowing people, who certainly had to work even harder than I did to end up here, to have an equal opportunity to succeed once here.

Can’t wait to see all of you on campus!

-2016 Yalie

• anubis

as someone who Went Here and who met and became friends with actual Questbridge alums, I have no reason to believe they were any less capable of meeting Yale’s academic standards than anybody else. Both of the “Questies” I know were much better than me at the sciences and are now pursuing advanced degrees that I wouldn’t be able to hack it at.

• Nancy Morris

The following passage is from an article titled “Does Affirmative Action Do What It Should?” on admissions “mismatching” that appeared last year in the New York Times:

“‘The real question is what we want affirmative action to achieve,’ says Richard Brooks, a law professor at Yale. ‘Are we trying to maximize diversity? Engagement in the classroom? Whatever it is, I don’t think the purpose of affirmative action is for everyone to have average grades.’ Mr. Brooks believes that mismatch exists. But he rejects the idea that it’s as insidious as others claim and says that some mismatch might even be a good thing….. But part of the problem with the current affirmative action regime is how its supporters define the goal, what the Supreme Court calls the ‘compelling state interest’: classroom diversity.”

QuestBridge represents an attempt to avoid at least some of the more obvious pernicious aspects of many affirmative action programs, particularly the propensity of those programs to favor the children of middle class and upper middle class minority families. That is admirable on QuestBridge’s part, but determining how well QuestBridge succeeds is hampered by the absence of a well-justified standard for “success” (as Brooks points out), resistance on the part of schools to providing full data regarding students admitted in such programs and a coherent theory of what desirable student “diversity” really means in the first place. Anecdotal experience with individuals would on its face seem to be of very limited value, and in my opinion should not be relied upon seriously.

“Diversification” and “diversity” are tricky concepts, and have a very contentious history even in the area in which they play a key role: financial portfolio theory. It is far more difficult and subtle to achieve real diversification even in a portfolio of securities and investments that at first seems to be the case, as David Swensen tirelessly explains. Extension and adaptation of such theories to human capital, including education, are not for the faint hearted. There are very big gaps in our understanding, and the work needed to fill those gaps has hardly begun.

• Anon123

Any of the usual statistical breakdowns by gender, ethnicity, public/private, etc?

Also, how many interested in STEM majors? Of those, how many are not in life-science STEM?

• rick131

A Questbridge student may have lower SAT scores than the rich white kid. Thats because he did not go to private school and have endless tutors and classes and Kaplan courses and SAT prep, etc that the private school kid had. A 2100 from a poor neighborhood in Chicago, is much more impressive than a kid from Andover, given endles opportunities and money and tutors who only scored a hundred or so points more. You should subtract 50-80 points per section for anyone who had tutoring.

• aaleli

Spoken like a true lib progressive. And the brainwashing is complete….

• digitalrambling

ha! “brainwashing.” Is rick131 spewing “alternative facts” that make you uncomfortable aaleli? If you really believe that tutoring makes no difference, then ditch it for your kids.

• 15gladyskravitz

Questbridge, affirmative action, a rose by any other name.