Two years after the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the Sandy Hook Advisory Commission — a panel of community leaders formed to make policy recommendations on issues surrounding gun violence, mental health and school safety — gathered today to discuss responses to the anniversary of the 2012 tragedy and upcoming release of a report of Adam Lanza’s mental health.

This morning, the panel discussed methods of response to the upcoming anniversary of the shootings.

“We have a lot of milestones that have already passed and are coming up as we confront the anniversary,” Adrienne Bentman, the Director of the Adult Psychiatry Residency Program at Hartford Hospital’s Institute of Living, said at the event on Friday.

Though Neil Heslin, father of six year-old victim Jesse Lewis, and Nelba Marquez-Greene, mother of six year-old victim Ana Marquez-Greene, were scheduled to give presentations to the committee today, no Newtown parents were ultimately present at the meeting, according to a report from WTNH.

The commission also discussed the pending release of a report on Adam Lanza’s mental health that suggested Lanza’s mental health needs were not fully met. The report is scheduled to be released in early November, roughly one year after Connecticut State Attorney’s Office released a complete debriefing of the investigation that followed the Dec. 14, 2012 shootings. Bentman added that the committee will defer to families of victims and the community at large as it prepares a response to this latest report and to the massacre’s two-year anniversary, which takes place in less than two months.

Since being formed in Jan. 2013 at the direction of Gov. Dannel Malloy, the advisory committee has met 25 times and is currently chaired by Hamden Mayor Scott Jackson. Among its 16 members are educators, doctors and emergency response experts.

SARAH BRULEY