On your best behavior. With Parents’ Weekend looming, some of Yale’s flagship groups are preparing for Saturday and Sunday shows. Among them: the Whiffenpoofs, Whim ’n Rhythm, the Yale Symphony Orchestra, the Yale Glee Club and Just Add Water.

Educate yourself. This afternoon, the Office of Career Strategy will host an Education Networking event to connect students to opportunities in teaching and policy. Representatives from Hopkins School and Baltimore Collegiate School for Boys will be in attendance.

“On the road again.” Rapper Ab-Soul performed at Toad’s last night, drawing a Woad’s-level line to the dance club on a Thursday. The Carson, Ca., product is known for his collaboration with Chance the Rapper on “Smoke Again” from the latter’s “Acid Rap” mixtape, stirring hope that the 21 year-old Chicago performer might consider his own trek to New Haven after being unable to attend last year’s Spring Fling due to illness.

Printing the prizewinner. After Patrick Modiano won the 2014 Nobel Prize for Literature, Yale Press moved in quickly to tap into the French novelist’s newfound success. The publisher announced on Thursday that it would begin printing translated versions of Modiano’s “Suspended Sentences: Three Novellas” in November.

In the heat of the race. An article published by National Review, the magazine founded by William F. Buckley Jr. ’50, called Gov. Dannel Malloy “America’s Worst Governor,” citing tax increases as a major reason. It also called this fall’s gubernatorial race between Malloy and challenger Tom Foley “the most interesting race of the 2014 season that no one is talking about.”

Winter is coming. Single-game tickets for the Yale basketball season are now available, alongside tickets for hockey games, through the Yale Ticket Office.

No vacancy. An article published by Multifamily Executive this week named New Haven as the “tightest rental market in the country” over the past quarter-year, with its 2.1 percent vacancy rate. Each of the top seven spots were occupied by cities in California or Connecticut, including sixth-ranked Hartford.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY
1929 The Yale Police Department announces that it will levy heavy fines against anyone vandalizing University parking meters after dealing with ten such cases over the preceding two weeks.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

THE YALE DAILY NEWS