Amit Efrati, the Israel fellow at Joseph Slifka Center for Jewish Life, has left his position at the center after two months of tenure.

On Tuesday morning, Efrati wrote a post on his personal Facebook page explaining that he asked to leave his post because of professional issues, adding that he had been hindered in completing an “important mission” that he came to perform in the U.S.

“It saddens me that people who are willing to leave everything behind, to do and contribute, fall between the cracks and are wasted,” he wrote in Hebrew. “In any case, this is just the beginning.”

Efrati did not respond to requests for comment on Wednesday.

Members of the Slifka community were informed of Efrati’s departure in an email on Wednesday morning. The email stated that Efrati would not be continuing in his position at Slifka, and that he had returned to Israel for personal reasons.

According to the Slifka Center’s website, the Israel fellow is integral to the process of coordinating of summer fellowships for students who wish to pursue internship, summer study or travel programs in Israel.

Students interviewed expressed their surprise at Efrati’s quick departure.

Danielle Ellison ’15 said the departure came as a disappointment to her. She added that, by the time Efrati responded to messages that she sent to him on Tuesday, he had already left.

Slifka Center Executive Director Rabbi Leah Cohen and Director of Engagement Rabbi Joshua Ratner could not be reached for comment on Wednesday afternoon.

STEPHANIE ADDENBROOKE