Raindrops Keep Fallin’. A rain garden designed by students is being installed this week outside of Sage Hall, the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies building at 205 Prospect St. Forestry students came up with the plan for the garden, which uses raised banks and native plants to collect rainwater, in order to replace the previous drainage system which simply dumped water into the city sewers.

Still not over Harry Potter. Dartmouth offers a “design-your-own community” option for housing, in which groups of nine to 18 students block together and submit a proposal for a particular theme. This year’s results include sections of housing themed after plant-based eating (the “Herbifloor”) and after Hogwarts (where the “Muggles for Magical Awareness” live). Other sections focus on music or politics.

Gallery shopping. New Haven’s Somewhat Off the Wall event is being thrown this weekend by the Arts Council of Greater New Haven. The premise is that purchasing a $100 premium ticket gives you the right, as your number is called, to claim any one of 144 drawings, jewelry, paintings, photography, prints, textiles or pottery works donated by 48 artists.

Empire State glows red. Cornell alumi in NYC are kicking off celebrations of the university’s sesquicentennial in grand style. The top floors of the Empire State Building were lit up in red and white this week. The seven-story Nasdaq screen overlooking Times Square wished Cornell congratulations. Members of the Big Red Marching Band were also featured on the Today Show this week.

So hot. Minjoo Larry Lee, an associate professor of electrical engineering, has received over $2.5 million to develop a new type of solar cell that can function at extreme temperatures. The cells will be operable in heat of above 750 degrees Fahrenheit, for example inside a brick oven. Lee’s project is sponsored by a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency for Energy.

Free Harvard. Japanese fashion brand Uniqlo will be offering scholarships to Harvard starting next year — one for Harvard Business School and one for the Harvard University Graduate School of Design. The fellowships will be awarded over the course of three years to six Japanese nationals. Each winner will receive around $200,000.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1983 WYBC Radio cuts back its broadcast hours from all day and night (24 hours) to a mere 18 hours a day.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

THE YALE DAILY NEWS