Head coach Tony Reno recently announced that quarterback Morgan Roberts ’16 will replace Hank Furman ’14 as Yale’s starting signal caller, but added that the Bulldogs have a reliable backup in fellow quarterback Logan Scott ’16.

Roberts and Scott battled for the top spot throughout the past offseason and during the preseason before Roberts was named QB1. Scott said that the quarterback battle had a positive effect on both field generals.

“I think [Roberts] and I have made each other better,” Scott said. “One of the things we talk about is that high water raises all boats … and competition makes everyone better. We both had a great offseason and preseason.”

Twice before, Scott has stepped up to replace an injured Yale quarterback and has shown that he can run the offense should Yale’s starting quarterback be unable to play due to injury. He made his first collegiate appearance against Penn on Oct. 20, completing eight of his 11 pass attempts for 67 yards and a touchdown strike to help Yale to a 27–13 upset of the eventual 2012 Ivy League champion Quakers. Although a hand injury shortened his rookie season, Scott stepped up again in 2013 when Furman and Roberts were sidelined with injuries. He came on in relief of his injured teammates in last year’s game against Brown, which the Bulldogs won when 2014 captain and wide receiver Deon Randall ’15 scampered 32 yards for a touchdown with 19 seconds left.

Scott started the next game at Princeton, throwing for 240 yards and three touchdowns to just one interception, before Furman returned from injury to play the team’s next and final game against Harvard.

Several of Scott’s teammates said that they believe that Scott has great potential.

“Out of all our quarterbacks, I think Scott has the most poise in the pocket. He manages the game very well, which I think will help us win a lot of games this year,” tight end Stephen Buric ’16 said.

Two other players declined to comment on the quarterback situation.

Regardless of who is under center for the Elis, Scott said that he believes the team is more prepared and committed than ever. He added that this summer, more than 60 players came to New Haven for training and participated in multiple scrimmages against schools such as Central Connecticut State, the University of New Haven, Southern Connecticut State and Sacred Heart.

“I think we have a lot more confidence in ourselves this year,” Scott said. “The team seems to be very tight-knit, and we have all put so much [into] our off season lifting and training … it will definitely show on the field this year.”

Despite losing key players from last season, Scott said he believes returning players and talented freshmen will guarantee a strong season. Randall has shown great leadership as captain in the offseason, and returning tailback Tyler Varga ’15, the second-ranked prospect in the Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau’s September rankings for 2015 CFL draft, is healthy and ready to play this weekend. In addition, Scott said that the offensive line is the best he has seen in a couple of years.

The team will play its first game against Lehigh University at home on Saturday, Sept. 20.