Today Harvard University announced that Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York and the billionaire founder of the financial software and media company Bloomberg L.P., will deliver Harvard’s 363rd Commencement.

Bloomberg, who stepped down after three terms as mayor of New York City in January, has used his national prominence and financial resources to push for increased gun control regulation, public health, and education reform.

“Mike Bloomberg’s career represents a rare blend of public leadership, private sector entrepreneurship, and powerful philanthropic engagement,” Harvard President Drew G. Faust said in the press release. “He has led one of the world’s great cities, built one of the nation’s most influential information services, and generously committed his attention and resources to worthy causes.”

Beyond his philanthropic commitments to national issues, Bloomberg has been a significant donor to Harvard. In 1996, he donated $3 million to endow a professorship in his father’s name and also made significant contributions to the renovation and expansion of the Harvard Business School’s Baker Library.

Although political pundits have continually pegged Bloomberg as a future presidential candidate, he told New York Magazine last year that it would be “impossible” for him to win either as an independent or be nominated as the Republican or Democratic candidate.

Bloomberg’s commencement speech is slated for May 29.

RISHABH BHANDARI