A game-winning goal, in double overtime, in the playoffs, against rival No. 5 Harvard – it sounds like the plot of a movie. For forward Janelle Ferrara ’16 and the rest of the women’s hockey team, last night seemed like one.

Ferrara’s power play goal, assisted by defenseman Kate Martini ’16 and forward Jackie Raines ’15, ended almost 100 minutes of hockey in Cambridge with a 3–2 victory for Yale. The Bulldogs piled on Ferrara in celebration nearly three and a half hours after the game began.

With the playoff win, Yale’s first since 2005, the Elis went up 1–0 in the best-of-three first round ECAC playoff series. They will play Game Two this afternoon.

Goaltender Jaimie Leonoff ’15 held the Crimson, the second-seeded squad in the conference tournament, to two goals in almost five periods of play, delivering a career performance. Leonoff saved 55 Harvard shots, her most all year, including 26 in a row between Harvard’s game-tying goal in the third and the end of the game.

Also scoring for Yale were Raines and forward Jamie Haddad ’16, both in the second period. Raines either assisted or scored all three goals that Yale scored.

The Bulldogs came out slow in the first period, putting just five shots on Harvard goaltender Emerance Maschmeyer while the Crimson poured 15 on Leonoff. Harvard also outshot Yale 14–9 in the second period, but Yale came away with the advantage in goals, as the score was 2–1 after two.

Harvard tied the game early in the third period, and it was not until 54 more minutes of hockey that a winner was decided. The tables had turned offensively by the end of the game, as Yale outshot its rival 17–8 in the second overtime period.

Maschmeyer, the Ivy League Co-Player of the Year, has allowed more than two goals in just five games this season. Yale has been the opponent in two of those.

Yale will attempt to secure a spot in the semifinals, and to stay unbeaten against Harvard this year, at 4:00 p.m. today in Cambridge.

GREG CAMERON