Two Quinnipiac goals in an 18 second span let the wind out of Yale’s sails and lifted the No. 4 Bobcats to a 4–0 win over the Bulldogs earlier today. The game between the No. 13 Bulldogs and their recent national championship rival took place in front of a standing-room only crowd tonight at Ingalls Rink.

Goaltender Alex Lyon ’17 had 32 saves, but a stellar outing from Quinnipiac’s Michael Garteig between the pipes and a relentless Bobcat offense was all they needed to dispatch the Bulldogs (12–8–4, 7–7–3 ECAC).

Though the first period of action was pretty even, Quinnipiac came out with a 1-0 lead after forward Cory Hibbeler took the puck off a faceoff and fired a long-range shot that snuck past Lyon. The rookie netminder had to deal with lots of traffic in front of the net on the goal.

It was the second period where the Bobcats made their big move. With 12:27 remaining, a Yale turnover in the Bulldog zone following a power play turned into Quinnipiac’s second goal of the game. Forward Sam Anas, one of the leading scorers in the conference, found the back of the net just nine seconds after returning to the ice following his two minute infraction.

And just 18 seconds later, the Bobcats took command. Connor Clifton faked a shot and then slapped the puck high and above Lyon’s shoulder to extend the lead to 3–0. Quinnipiac’s final tally came off a funky play where Lyon was caught out of position and Tommy Schutt buried the shot over defenseman Gus Young ’14, who slid in attempting to stop the shot.

Garteig continued what has been outstanding play all season, recording 32 saves and snuffing numerous Yale opportunities. The win marked his fifth shutout of the season, making him tied for first in the nation.

The Bulldogs next play Saturday night against Princeton (4–19–0, 3–13–0).

GRANT BRONSDON