In their final home matches of the year on Saturday, the men’s and women’s fencing teams each grabbed two decisive victories against perennial opponents Vassar and Drew.

The wins built up momentum for the men (6–2) and women (5–3) as they head into the Ivy League Championship this upcoming weekend at Brown.

“I was extremely happy with the team’s performance,” women’s captain and foil Lauren Miller ’15 said in an email. “We focused, fenced well and got the job done. Having the support of our friends and family at the seniors’ last home meet also made this past weekend a special one.”

The women beat Vassar 19–8 before fencing their way to a 15–5 victory over Drew later on in the day. They could only compete in 20 bouts against Drew because the Rangers did not bring enough fencers to field a full 27.

The sabre team was a perfect 9–0 against Vassar. In the Drew match, it was the épées dominating for Yale, maintaining a 9–0 record and securing the Eli victory.

Miller noted impressive performances by epées Kate Spooner ’16 and Brenda Seah ’14, who just switched to epée this season.

“[They] blew us away with their fencing,” Miller said.

The men’s team defeated Vassar by a score of 16–11 and then easily handled the Drew squad 22–5.

The men’s épées were also perfect in the second match, and the foils finished with a record of 17–1 on the day.

“We approached the meet with the strategic decision to rest for Ivy Championship,” men’s captain and epée Cornelius Saunders ’14 wrote in a email to the News. “Moreover, the match allowed for our younger members to gain competition experience.”

Both teams will be looking for redemption at the Ivy League Championship. The men placed fifth out of six squads in the 2013 round-robin competition, while the women placed last out of seven.

Unlike in most other sports, the Bulldogs will head into the tournament without having faced a single Ancient Eight squad this season.

Despite the disappointing finish last year, epée Peter Cohen ’14 said the team has high expectations for the weekend.

“We have had a lot of new freshmen starting and performing pretty well throughout the year, and as our upperclassmen get older, we get more experienced,” Cohen said. “Overall, [we] should be a much better team than last year.”

Miller said the women’s team also holds high hopes for the tournament.

She added that the team will be performing to the best of its abilities because of the gravity of the event.

“We take this weekend very seriously, and since it marks the end of four consecutive weekends of competition, we want to leave everything we have on the table,” Miller said. “We have been working hard for this since captain’s practices started in September, so I know the entire team is excited to hopefully see all of that work pay off.”

The Ivy League Championship will kick off in Providence on Saturday at 11:00 a.m.

GREG CAMERON