Governer Malloy announced on Wednesday that Daniel Esty will be ending his term as the commissioner of Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) after taking a three year leave from his position at Yale. Esty will return to his positions
as the Hillhouse Professor of Environmental Law and Policy, Director of the Yale Center for
Environmental Law and Policy and the Center for Business and Environment at Yale.

“I am proud of all we’ve accomplished on the environmental and energy fronts with the hard work of a skilled and dedicated agency staff and the active support, engagement and guidance of Governor Malloy,” Commissioner Esty said. “In sum, our efforts have made Connecticut a national leader when it comes to innovative approaches to both environmental regulation and energy policy.”

Esty oversaw the transformation of DEEP in July 2011, when the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) expanded its focus to energy-related issues. Under Esty’s leadership, the DEEP has re-engineered how Connecticut manages waste, delivered the state’s first Comprehensive Energy Strategy, and launched the first-in-the-nation clean energy finance “Green Bank,” among other accomplishments, which Esty described in his letter to the Governor <>.

Esty has written or edited nine books and numerous articles on environmental policy issues and the relationships between environment and corporate strategy, competitiveness, trade, globalization, government, and development. Esty has held various positions in the EPA, practiced law in Washington DC, served as a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, and served as an energy and environmental policy advisor on the 2008 Obama Presidential campaign, among other career accomplishments.

Governor Malloy plans to announce a successor within the next few weeks. Esty will officially depart office on Monday, February 3rd.

LILLIAN CHILDRESS