A couple days before Thanksgiving break, we received an email from Yale University Police Chief Ronnell Higgins. The email’s subject, “Public Safety Update,” certainly sounded innocuous enough, but its contents quickly dispelled this assumption.

scott_stern_headshot_peter_tian“The New Haven police have shared with us that they are beginning to see incidents of something called the ‘Knockout Game’: groups of teenagers or young adults coming up to individuals on public streets and hitting them,” Higgins wrote. “The goal appears to be to hit and then to run away, rather than robbery.”

Higgins proceeded to mention several recent incidents that occured fairly close to Yale’s campus and added that “the ‘Knockout Game’ appears to be a national trend.”

I appreciate Chief Higgins’s concern. I especially appreciate the work done by the Yale University Police Department and the New Haven Police Department to keep me safe.

But Chief Higgins’s email plays into a troubling media narrative. It perpetuates a myth founded not in facts, but in selective statistics and racism. I am certain that Chief Higgins was unaware of the sordid history of his information, yet I feel someone must point out the damaging fallacies undergirding reports of a national “Knockout Game” trend.

In recent weeks, pundits have been sounding the alarm about the “Knockout Game.” According to CNN, the Knockout Game is a trend that is “spreading,” with victims “piling up.” Fox News expounded on this, reporting that “confirmed thugs on the street” are “polar bear hunting” — looking for white victims.

A great number of these media reports claim that the assailants are usually black, the victims usually white. Mark Steyn wrote in the National Review: “Groups of black youths roam the streets looking for a solitary pedestrian, preferably white.” Steyn proceeded to refer to the Knockout perpetrators as “moronic savage[s].” Respected journalists Thomas Sowell and Alec Torres repeated his claims.

The fear that bands of black youths are skulking the streets and terrorizing innocent passersby is hardly new. Following the Civil War, plantation owners reported mobs of former slaves threatening their wives and daughters. For the next century, these claims — wildly inflated and usually outright false — were the justification for lynching and Jim Crow laws. Pundits of that period used racialized language to spread fear of “savages” and “thugs.” Sound familiar?

Many liken the hysteria surrounding the Knockout Game with “wilding,” the idea, popular in the 1980s and 1990s, that groups of dark-skinned youths were on the streets making trouble for mostly white pedestrians. Fears of “wilding” led to the wrongful convictions and incarceration of countless teens, including the Central Park Five. Reports of the Knockout Game have been around since the ’90s, though they remain isolated and rare — often reported with racist code words.

The oft-reported claim of an epidemic of black-on-white street crime is a bigoted myth. In fact, the opposite appears to be the case. In 2011, there were 3,645 victims of “racially motivated hate crimes,” according to data compiled by the FBI. Nearly 72 percent of the victims, an appalling majority, were targeted because of “anti-black bias.”

Pundits have cherry-picked the data in order to wildly sensationalize claims that murderous bands of young men, especially black men, are roaming the streets, knocking out passersby. In this country, aggravated assaults occur at a rate of one per minute. There are more than 4 million violent attacks each year, 125,000 with “hands and fists.” With so many cases of random street violence, to interpret a few isolated instances of Knockout as a national trend is simply wrong.

Philadelphia police have seen 5,000 violent assaults without guns this year, and just one of these has been confirmed as the Knockout Game. There is — and always will be — street crime. But that does not a national trend make. By treating every random and alleged assault as a potential case of Knockout Game fever, the media is attempting to create the false impression of an epidemic — one regularly couched in racist language. As one police spokesman told the New York Times last week, “If there ever was an urban myth, this was it.”

Urban myths derived from selective statistics and racialized punditry allow policymakers to enact harsh laws that disproportionately affect persons of color, such as New York’s stop-and-frisk policy.

These myths also mislead police officers, such as Ronnell Higgins. Chief Higgins’s email, while undoubtedly sent with the best of intentions and thankfully not hypothesizing about the race of the assailants, nonetheless perpetuates this dangerous idea.

The real trend at hand isn’t the Knockout Game — it’s the epidemic of powerful people deceptively spreading fear.

Scott Stern is a junior in Branford College. His columns run on Mondays. Contact him at scott. stern@yale.edu.

• yellowasp

Young white male who attends Yale tells black police chief he’s wrong on crime. Is this an attempt at postmodern humor?

• Telekind

What makes you think he’s white?

• inycepoo

? Scott Stern is a white Jew. This is a fact, nothing else.

• Univ5

According to what?

• 87654poker

Why is Jewishness relevant?

• inycepoo

Relevant to identifying who he is by someone who actually knows him (me) to those who do not know him and are guessing his race and ethnicity (commenters)? Sure. I would further characterize him as a 5’8” or 5’9” male.

• Jake

Uhh don’t think you actually know Scott…he’s like 5’11” or 6′

• kevin24

about 5’9, well muscled white guy.

• guest

What’s next a centerfold of this guy from Kevin and Jake? Geez

• inycepoo

…according to people who personally know him. Like me. That make sense now?

• Telekind

Also, why is this in any way relevant? Attack the author’s ideas, if you can, not the author’s race…

• yale12

Newsflash: racism is cultural and institutional. It’s entirely possible for a black person to be part of a system that’s racist against black people. Black doctors display pretty much the same inherent biases against black patients as white doctors.

• Tin

Lay off the weed

• H. Sachs

Thank you. Im not sure if the “knockout” savagery is indeed widespread or is being perpetuated primarily in the American community by people with dark skins. However, it does point to a nihilism that is profoundly dangerous and sad. A good part of this is due to the Leftist value system that has washed over America and attacks our core JudeoChristian religious values. And if indeed it is primarily part of one American community, that community should be identified and strong question should be raised about how culture and civilization has so broken down there to unleash such barbarity. If, for example, bands of Americans who were also orthodox Jews were running through neighborhoods doing this all over the country, we would need to know about it, identify it, and strongly question what is happening in their particular American community.

This issue has nothing to do with melanin pigment. Melanin has nothing to do with smashing an innocent human in the face and laughing about it. We are very beyond the world of racism in America. Today, America is if not the least, than one of the least racist societies that has ever existed. This issue has to do with character and values. Focus on that. Let us know if indeed this is in a particular community of Americans. Then let us know why you think such young people could be so unmoored from the basics of civilized life. Don’t do the typical Leftist thing by seeing this trough the lens of race/class/ and gender. Its an American values issue between good and bad. Thanks: With respect: Howard Sachs/Washington DC

• Patent Infringer

See my comment above. You just proved Stern’s point about ignoring facts to freak out. “Savagery.” Jesus.

• betterperson

“America is if not the least, than one of the least racist societies that has ever existed.”

Hmmmm… let me think… NOPE

• $26619322

American religious values should be those of people who are indigenous to the Americas. JudeoChristian religious values are only “American” in so far that they came with the creation of the entity called “America,” which definitely isn’t traditional to this land.

Do you really think that nothing like this (random thugs going around assaulting innocent bystanders) ever happened earlier in time, even in places where, and times when, the Judeo-Christian theological framework definitely prevailed in its acceptance by a vast majority? Really? REALLY? Do you really think that this never happened IN THE NAME OF Judeo-Christian religious values?

• eli1

Except Race Baiter #1 Al Sharpton, in who’s mind no black person can do anything wrong, wrote a piece the other day condemning the violence which, he concluded, was ethnically motivated against Jews in particular. Keep parroting the liberal media’s line that there is nothing to see here. In the meantime, innocent, mostly elderly white people will continue to be viciously knocked out by gangs of primarily black teenagers. Don’t believe me, just spend 5 minutes watching the videos from Worldstar Hip Hop.

• Nope

So you’re just going to ignore all of the data the author presented, all of the logic, and just stick with your own racist, yes racist, opinions? Big surprise.

• BlessPapaBenny

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White

• Nope

Nope. Just nope. Also, racist.

• John Torok Jr

It is unfortunate that statistically the African American & Latino population appear to be
    the ones committing crimes, whether that is truly accurate or because of various bias, and they themselves to some degree are victims. Whether it is a ” knock out ” game,
    ” Wilding ” or whatever may be the current issue – it’s ASSAULT plain & simple and the perpetrators should be punished to the full extent of the law. Unfortunately what today appears on our TV screens as the news is not much more than dramatic presentations with varying degrees of inaccuracy and bias, not just to race, but to social & financial status, whether the issue is popular or not popular, trending or not trending, politically motivated, so on and so forth. Anyone who watches the so called TV journalism media clearly needs to understand it’s acting, drama and sensationalism for the sole purpose of ‘ RATINGS ” !!! We no longer have Edward R Murrow, Walter Cronkite and the likes of those historic and well known journalists Tom Brokaw is mostly retired; MSNBC and FOX are Left & Right respectively as we all know. CNN is I believe, more “Middle of the Road” but can not exist without competing for ratings. It is a sad state of affairs and unfortunately only one of a growing number of issues we face in these United States today. The BIG crime today is Washington D.C. and the blatant corruption that exists with politicians being bought daily, and their TOTAL DISCONNECT from “WE THE PEOPLE” and the fact that “WE THE PEOPLE” tolerate and do not unite and do something about this rapidly growing corrupt government plaque is in itself a major crime!

• Patent Infringer

What the hell is with these schizophrenic screeds? Ignore facts, why don’t you. Blacks/latinos commit crime at lower rates and are arrested at higher rates; consume drugs at lower rates and are arrested at higher rates; are born poor and likely to face jobplace discrimination; are less likely to apply to top colleges than commensurately performing white kids. This is the only trend out there.
      #racism

• Yanckdum

Excellent column. Well-researched, tactfully written, and certainly timely. I especially appreciate the statistics.

Now watch the rich white Elis freak the hell out.

• ekaneti

Rich white elites who are mostly liberal aren’t the ones getting knocked out.

• phantomllama

It seems that Stern is misrepresenting Chief Higgins. His email was not based on any of the sources that he criticises, but rather on direct information from the New Haven Police Department:

“The New Haven police have shared with us that they are beginning to see incidents of something called the “Knockout Game”: groups of teenagers or young adults coming up to individuals walking on public streets and hitting them. The goal appears to be to hit and then to run away, rather than robbery. A recent incident happened on the Church Street overpass, near Gateway Community College. Fortunately, police have received reports of only a few of these incidents so far and are actively investigating.”

The email is balanced and reasonable. It notes that there have only been a few instances of this in New Haven, but that these have been reported to Yale by the NHPD. (Chief Higgins has a responsibility to share this information with us.)

“Philadelphia police have seen 5,000 violent assaults without guns this year, and just one of these has been confirmed as the Knockout Game.”

Why the focus on Philadelphia, and what does it mean to “confirm” an assault as the Knockout Game? It seems to me that would require a suspect to actively share their motivations with the police.

“Steyn proceeded to refer to the Knockout perpetrators as “moronic savage[s].”

Does Stern disagree? I ask only because I recently heard someone attempt to intellectually defend the notion of privileged people “being roughed up” from time to time. It seems to me that attempting to knock out (and frankly, coming pretty close to attempted murder) an innocent passer-by is both ‘moronic’ and ‘savage.’ ‘Moronic savages’ seems an apt description.

• betterperson

“what does it mean to “confirm” an assault as the Knockout Game?”

Seems like something a quick conversation with the victim could solve…

• phantomllama

Not necessarily. They are quite unlikely to have seen whether the culprit is alone or in a group, and will almost certainly not know what was in their mind when they made the attack. They can definitely tell the police that the attack was violent and unprovoked, but I don’t know if they can say more that.

• 87654poker

It means confirmed by the cops, as opposed to the media!

• 87654poker

Chief Higgins has a responsibility to check his facts before he forwards them on. His email serves to spread fear, especially fear of black youths, and he should understand its history before he sends it

• phantomllama

Please share with us a factual inaccuracy in Chief Higgins’ email. And please quote directly from the email, not from Stern’s column.

• 87654poker

Factual inaccuracy: “…the ‘Knockout Game’ appears to be a national trend.”

Higgins also noted a number of cases that have yet to be confirmed without giving proper context.

If he had warned us against a “national trend” of “wilding,” would you still think that were accurate, or even acceptable?

• theantiyale

“Then let us know why you think such young people could be so unmoored from the basics of civilized life.”

The media glorification of gansta values.

• H. Sachs

Really? consumer nihilism: What kind of idea is this? There is beauty in enjoying the materials of earth. The great American value system is focused on liberty- you want little material enjoyment in your life, then your are free to structure it that way. Go live in some tent, with some rough leaves around your body and dig for roots. No one will chide you for your choice or values particularly if they dont infringe on your neighbor’s choices. But please don’t order me to live like you or judge me if I like my air conditioning, IPhone, great hospitals, my car and my air travel and my stay at the Ritz Carleton every now and then.

Our JudeoChristian values talk a lot about balance in life. Its great to enjoy the material, but even greater to do things that elevate us like give to others and be kind to others.

Slavery was universal. It was American Christians rooted in biblical values that rid this country of one of its great sins.

America is still the finest country that has ever been created in human history. We are not here to create utopias. Our young people in general have little thankfulness for the wonderful country they have been given. A lack of gratitude is the default position of the human mind.It leads to great unhappiness and today leads them to vote for naive utopian collectivist Leftist Democrats that trash the core beauties of America, massively destroy wealth and liberty.

Victimization: Leftism is also steeped in the core idea of victimization: “Fight the white privilege! Fight the rich privilege! Fight the heterosexual privilege! Fight the nice looking privilege! Fight the good parents privilege! Fight the male privilege! We are oppressed! We are victims!…. Victimization is a direct route to unhappiness. Unhappiness is a direct route to doing great harm to others. Happy people do little evil in this world. Victims do most of it.

The most important thing to fight in life, as our silly Bible tell us, is ourselves and our own character flaws. Its not the white and rich , heterosexual, carbon dioxide spewing male that block our paths to happiness; its our own frail natures and passions. But of course these non Leftist ideas are never to be heard on campus. HS

• inycepoo

“America is still the finest country that has ever been created in human history.”

Disillusioned American exceptionalism like this, and you want to be taken seriously. lol

• H. Sachs

Response to Inycepoo:

I fully understand you pray at the alter of Leftism- our universities. There you learn to trash America because it has not reached the puerile utopian vision in your Bible, the New York Times Op Ed Page. I can only say you look at America like a proctologist looks at a human, with a very narrow focus. Like Margret Thatcher said, “realism is to be conservative”. Conservatives understand America was formed by humans and by definition was formed by frail, weak, and flawed beings. However, what they produced was glorious, a country that has brought more dignity and peace and bounty to more humans than any other country that has ever existed. The default mode of almost every society has been poverty, and undignified lives, and the powerful crushing the weak. Our founders got it just right in fighting the default and you on the Left come along and trash it. You on the Left demand utopia and if we haven’t reached it you do what our President said he’d do ,TRANSFORM this terrible country. And like all utopian visions, it is and will continue to lead to darkness and destruction unless its stopped. But I presume you’ll cheer it on until you leave the childlike bubble of Leftist kindercollege, get married, have kids, run a business, try to earn a living and read more about our founding.

And I do say this with respect for you as a person but disrespect for some of the ideas you hold. Howard Sachs

• Bathman

What the f…? Get help.

• guest

the bubble of “kinder college”

Actually, the above is the best line here.

• inycepoo

o h m y g o d I can’t.

Assumes political affiliation.

Assumes religious affiliation (news flash: I’m also Christian. Presbyterian, to be exact. Do you hate them, too?).

Can’t spell (“alter”) or use punctuation properly.

Little to no understanding of what leftism actually means, but brandishes it as a ubiquitous counterargument to everything (all your Disqus comments are publicly viewable).

Assumes he knows everything that his dissenter believes from a 2-line comment, one of which was a quote from him.

You’re a joke. You clamor for engagement in public discourse and debate, but have no idea how to go about it logically. Nothing you post is “debate;” every comment is an excerpt from “Howard Sach’s Diary: Things I Disagree With and Why Opposition to Leftism is the Answer to All Political Troubles.”

Now go be a good doctor and play with your MRIs and CAT scans. Quit the “I care about what youth are thinking these days and read college newspapers to systematically debunk all the crazy leftist beliefs out there” jihad. We don’t want you around.

• ekaneti

you lost the debate.

• H. Sachs

Well thats a pretty interesting and elevating set of comments. I didnt know I was a hater of Christians but thats a typical response from those who haven’t much to say. In fact I’m a pretty committed Jew and I find great beauty in traditional American Christian values. I am deeply grateful for Christians and their values giving me the most exceptional country in the world.

I also dont consider any decent person a joke. Youre not a joke to me. Youre someone wrestling with important ideas. Its admirable. Just because we dont agree doesnt mean youre a joke to me- not in the least. And when you say, you dont want such ideas around you, thats fine. Then dont engage. And as a conservative Id say, its vital that students hear from outside the bubble of “kindercollege” because our leaders come from these elite universities and then go out and tell the rest of us how to live, particularly if they remain with Leftist values.

Why dont you focus; pick a single topic. Tell me why Im wrong.

Of course I have a framework, a lens in which to see the world. We all do. I used to be on the Left because Jews are just born with Democrat voting cards in their hands. The typical college student and college professor also has the value system and lens called Leftism, with its fairly consistent detailed list of ideas: Equality of outcome trumps liberty/// religion is a joke and destructive/// the size of government is of little consequence/// social justice is something different and more important than justice/// male and female are essentially social constructs/// income inequality is a vital issue to resolve/// nationalism is evil-multiculturalism is beautiful/// private property is of minor importance and should defer to governments distributing social justice and equality//Liberty is not a core value///humans and animals are in many ways essentially equal—-Obviously not every one holding Leftist values believes every tenet and to the same degree but there is a clear value system called Leftism. If you disagree; We disagree.

If you disagree, let us know what value system you have. Its really low level to just say “this guy has a set of values; you see it all over his writing; lets get outta here; hes not worth engaging because he is such a yuchy TeaParty guy and we dont engage those yucchy people here at elevated Yale. (How do you spell yucchy????) Anyway: have a good day: HS

• theantiyale

THREE EXAMPLES OF CONSUMER NIHILISM:
        1. Selling and purchasing human beings
        2. Plundering for profit the planet our children will inherit.
        3. Valorizing violence with a gangsta-entertainment-industry

• H. Sachs

• ’13

All the single latkes.

• MacFly1

You mean like the Songhay kingdom grew rich on? Slavery started in Africa long before any whites showed up. Agree on the rap b.s.

• H. Sachs

To Patent infringer:

Thanks for taking time to respond.

I think you might like to consider
    reading Professor Tom Sowell more or as much as you seem to read Leftist ideas.
    He is one of America’s greatest and most wise intellectuals. Because the Left
    is very focused on the regressive notions of race/sex and gender, Ill also let
    you know he is also an American that happens to have a lot of melanin pigment molecules in his skin. He is banned from most campuses because he holds American rather than Leftist values. Our campuses are in general and in essence anti-intellectual Leftist indoctrination centers unfortunately. For $200,000 its amazing the lack of education students receive today in my opinion. I think most of the cost is a profound waste.

Take care: Howard Sachs/Wash DC

Who
    Is Racist? By Professor Tom Sowell

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

Apparently
    other Americans also recognize that the sources of racism are different today
    from what they were in the past. According to a recent Rasmussen poll, 31 percent
    of blacks think that most blacks are racists, while 24 percent of blacks think
    that most whites are racist.

The
    difference between these percentages is not great, but it is remarkable
    nevertheless. After all, generations of blacks fought the white racism from
    which they suffered for so long. If many blacks themselves now think that most
    other blacks are racist, that is startling.

The
    moral claims advanced by generations of black leaders — claims that eventually
    touched the conscience of the nation and turned the tide toward civil rights
    for all — have now been cheapened by today’s generation of black
    “leaders,” who act as if it is all just a matter of whose ox is
    gored.

Even
    in legal cases involving terrible crimes — the O.J. Simpson murder trial or the
    charges of gang rape against Duke University students — many black
    “leaders” and their followers have not waited for facts about who was
    guilty and who was not, but have immediately taken sides, based on who was
    black and who was white.

Among
    whites, according to the same Rasmussen poll, 38 percent consider most blacks
    racist and 10 percent consider most whites racist.

Broken
    down by politics, the same poll showed that 49 percent of Republicans consider
    most blacks racist, as do 36 percent of independents and 29 percent of
    Democrats.

Perhaps
    most disturbing of all, just 29 percent of Americans as a whole think race
    relations are getting better, while 32 percent think race relations are getting
    worse. The difference is too close to call, but the fact that it is so close is
    itself painful — and perhaps a warning sign for where we are heading.

Is
    this what so many Americans, both black and white, struggled for, over the
    decades and generations, to try to put the curse of racism behind us — only to
    reach a point where retrogression in race relations now seems at least equally
    likely as progress?

What
    went wrong? Perhaps no single factor can be blamed for all the things that went
    wrong. Insurgent movements of all sorts, in countries around the world, have
    for centuries soured in the aftermath of their own success. “The
    revolution betrayed” is a theme that goes back at least as far as 18th
    century France.

The
    civil rights movement in 20th century America attracted many people who put
    everything on the line for the sake of fighting against racial oppression. But
    the eventual success of that movement attracted opportunists, and even turned
    some idealists into opportunists.

Over
    the generations, black leaders have ranged from noble souls to shameless
    charlatans. After the success of the civil rights insurgency, the latter have
    come into their own, gaining money, power and fame by promoting racial
    attitudes and actions that are counterproductive to the interests of those they
    lead.

None
    of this is unique to blacks or to the United States. In various countries and
    times, leaders of groups that lagged behind, economically and educationally,
    have taught their followers to blame all their problems on other people — and
    to hate those other people.

This
    was the history of anti-Semitic movements in Eastern Europe between the two
    World Wars, anti-Ibo movements in Nigeria in the 1960s, and anti-Tamil
    movements that turned Sri Lanka from a peaceful nation into a scene of lethal
    mob violence and then decades-long civil war, both marked by unspeakable
    atrocities.

Groups
    that rose from poverty to prosperity seldom did so by having racial or ethnic
    leaders. While most Americans can easily name a number of black leaders,
    current or past, how many can name Asian American ethnic leaders or Jewish
    ethnic leaders?

The
    time is long overdue to stop looking for progress through racial or ethnic
    leaders. Such leaders have too many incentives to promote polarizing attitudes
    and actions that are counterproductive for minorities and disastrous for the
    country.

• inycepoo

Was it necessary to copy and paste the whole thing in a comment? There’s enough spam here as it is. Post a link next time.

• Univ5

Tom Sowell is a racist, conservative ideologue, so…

• CriminalsHeartGunControl

That’s a very intellectual argument. Can’t refute what people say, so you call them racist and conservative.

You scare me so.

• Jake

Actually, look him up

• CriminalsHeartGunControl

What is it that makes Thomas Sowell, a black man, a racist?

All you will be able to come up with is more name-calling, because that’s all you have.

• H. Sachs

I pay my kids to listen to or read Tom Sowell-And you call him a racist. We are indeed in a stark cultural war in America. Leftists now call black men with beautiful American values racist because they dont want to buy into the economy crushing, liberty crushing, character crushing values and policies of Leftism/statism. Tom Sowell’s views produce bounty and wealth and human dignity while Leftist values and policies create the Venezuela’s with no toilet paper in their stores and the Cubas with its police state and boots on the necks of its people. And you pay $60,000 a year for this at Yale? One can almost cry. But humans are indeed frail. I say this with respect. Good people may have very foolish ideas, including myself.

You calling great men vulgar names is childlike and dishonorable. But thats what we get now – the Bill Mahr/Michael Moore/Barak Obama secular utopian entitlement world. Have you by chance read a paragraph of anything hes written or is this what you just spout because youll be made fun of by the Yale crowd if you agree with a black conservative?

How far we have come. Good luck to you. Youll need it in the country rapidly being transformed towards dystopia.Get out you checkbook in particular because the Hope and Change guy is charging up trillions on your account and youll be paying through the teeth for the rest of your life. I presume you yawn at this. It all sounds so good this Hope and Change rhetoric. It always does until reality and maturity sets in. Thats when you become conservative. Anyway: Goodluck Howard Sachs

• betterperson

I’m so sorry your children had to be subjected to that.

• H. Sachs

Dear Better Person: Thats an interesting comment. Do you know anything about Professor Sowell? Can you tell me one false or unwise thing he has ever written or said? Or do you just go with the herd and trash people’s reputations and ideas because thats the cool thing to do? I talk about Leftism a lot because its the most dynamic value/religious system especially on our capuses. A core part of that value system I have experienced is to engage in such antiintellectual low level discourse (You are a trashy right winger! youre homophobic Islamophobic racist and bigoted and therefore unworthy of my refined intellectual engagement.” I think such ways of dealing with people and such a comment is not worthy of one who considers himself or herself an educated person. Thats why I consider campuses like Yale generally intellectual free zones- essentially Leftist indoctrination centers. All they can come up with is childlike name calling or banning people with American cvalues from professorships and speeches. What a waste of $200 K.

Maybe check out Sowell’s latest racist Right Wing screed and let me know how unworthy it is for thought:

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell120313.php3#.Up5giShQNS-

Good luck: I enjoy engaging people in thought but Im a big boy now and dont play name calling since middle school

• betterperson

I actually agree that simply calling someone racist or homophobic without engaging with their ideas is intellectually dishonest. But I wonder when the last time you set foot on a college (like Yale’s) campus was, or sat in on a class, or spoke to a student was.

I assure you that there is a great deal of intellectual discourse amongst those on the left, those on the right, and many in between. These comment boards are not a valid indication of life at Yale, much like 4chan or Youtube comments are not accurate representation of discourse in America.

My classes and peers at Yale have challenged nearly every belief that I previously held dearly. Yes, I was certainly a leftist when I came to Yale, and am still a leftist now. But Yale is not the liberal sounding board you claim it to be – there are many places where honest discussion and honest self reflection do occur.

I implore you, take your rants and vitriole off our newspaper’s comment boards, or at least try to engage us in constructive dialogue. Repeating the same hackneyed diatribe about the evils of “Leftism” over and over again on the comment boards of the college newspaper at a school you did not attend strikes me as a rather petty waste of time.

• H. Sachs

in response to:

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2013/12/02/stern-knocking-out-racist-myths/

Thanks for taking the time to engage. I hope you sense I respond with respect. I’m sorry you consider an adult taking time to read and take seriously the ideas of 18 years olds on their student newspapers a wasteful process of ranting. I do it because I care a lot about my country. I don’t consider it a waste of time in the least. You are my fellow citizen. I’ve got kids. I care about the intellectual life of young people whether they are biologically related to me or at Yale or the local community college. I know how important education is. Hilary Clinton has done little in life beyond raising a good kid but she was right with her phrase, It takes a Village. We are responsible for each other to a degree.

I try to not just say the value system of Leftism is terrible. I hope I give reason and evidence why this is so. Maybe I miss sometimes . Maybe you’re not open to listening and therefore consider the words “hackneyed ranting”.

Millions of us sense America is in a profound cultural war between right and left. Thank God it’s not violent. You there at college are going to be deeply affected by this war. A few of us read these college papers to try to engage with ideas-not arms. We read because we know college is a bubble in many ways-young people talking to young people, most of the same value orientation or young people talking with professors, many of who have never left the academic world, are deeply on the Left and have never had to account for their ideas or engage with an intellectual equal.

Also, most of what I and most people learn in life comes long after college. Its too bad because parents choose to write those $150,000 checks for those Yale degrees- which I think are worth a tiny fraction of the cost to be honest.

This internet is just a wonder. I wish I had adults from the community giving some perspective on things beyond the narrow perspective or a dorm room or college classroom. It opens the walls of the campus. In fact I think the internet will make all this expensive brick and mortar college thing eventually a thing of the past. Millions of us can now see in and engage you if you want to be engages. People who have experienced a lot can see in and react. My own reaction may not be very wise, always correct or elevated, but it does come from a lot of years and thought and experience. I am sure, however, that if I had such interactions in college it would have helped shorten the road to some small bit of wisdom I currently hold.

Remember too you don’t live there in a vacuum at Yale. Most of us have been to college, know and relate to college professors, have children who have been or are in college, relate to young people, read and hear about what goes on campuses all the time. I interview young people for jobs in my business all the time. Most come from our elite universities . I get a strong and accurate sense of their education and values. Your own newspaper is a window into the world of what students are experiencing.

Though I profoundly disagree with most of the values of Leftism, I don’t consider what generally comes out of main -stream media, our colleges and dominant political party ranting. There is a defined, organized value system and way of looking at the world. I call it Leftism. You may call it whatever you like- progressivism- liberalism or what have you. My way and the way of more than the other half of America have a value system too. I believe it mirrors the value system of our founders. I call it the Right, conservative or the American value system. I believe it is the kind and good and compassion filled value system. I believe it has almost nothing in common with Leftism. I also believe it is the true liberalism because it is so bound to Liberty while Leftism is bound to control and trying to equalize things by force, things that cannot and should not be equalized.

Wrestling with these two deeply different value systems is what we are doing today in America. I don’t know what could be more important for a student. Though you may argue a bit in some of your classes and bump into conservative ideas here or there, I can almost assure you that Leftism or progressivism is about the only thing most of our young people hear or read or encounter today from grade school to graduate schools.

If you disagree let me ask you a few questions. Why when surveys are done are 70 or 80 or typically 90 percent of professors in most disciplines strong supporters of Leftism? Why when you survey 200 commencement speeches given in the spring are conservatives outnumbered maybe 80 or 90 or 100 to 1? Why when you survey speakers on college campuses are there Leftist oriented speakers 80 or 90 or 100 to 1? Why when I interview all these young people from the Yales or Harvards or Browns cannot one of them typically tell me what for instance is in section 1 article 8 of the Constitution enumerating the functions of the federal government or tell me why our founders deeply desired a republic over a pure democracy, or tell me why many argue the commerce clause has been used to egregiously and improperly expand the power and scope of government, or what is in the famous essay #51 in The Federalist Papers, our why capitalism is so tied in with the moral basis of our country, or what were the ideas of the great economist Milton Friedman or his protégée Tom Sowell, or why many argue Social Security is barely different from a Ponzi scheme or how Medicare is a vast wasteful, inefficient and unethical system used in many ways simply to redistribute wealth from the young to the old or why thousands of doctors like me argue that socializing medicine will be disastrous for America, or why we work now January through June and give every penny to government, or where all our tax money goes to, or why the American revolution focused on Liberty and the French on Equality and why that has any moral dimension to it? Or why we should care if 100 million Muslims agree with the Islamofascist Mullahs in Teheran that infidels like me and you should be vaporized, Or whether or not you’re religious why the Bible was considered so essential to the founding? Or what is the difference between wisdom and knowledge? Or why it’s not elevated or proper to have things like Sex Week on campus and talk about dildoes and group masturbation? (How do you spell dildoe anyway??)

I read your stuff not because I desire to rant but because I, like millions of others, perceive there is in our colleges a deep anti-intellectualism, anti-Americanism, speech codes, shallowness ,rigidity and profound adherence to Leftism. And its you folks that come along from the halls of Harvard and Yale and do like Mr. Obama is doing, you take this powerful Leftist value system and you try to transform America with it, and that has powerful consequences to my daily life. I think it terribly harms America and the world community. You may think its swell. You may think its kind and progressive. I and millions of others think it’s terribly destructive, unkind, lacking in compassion and regressive. I think it damages everything it touches from the arts to education to the economy to our spirit and character. That’s why I try to engage a bit.

But do feel free to pick a topic and disagree anytime. I’d be delighted to hear your argument. I am Jewish and Israel means “a struggle with God”. I believe until the day we die we struggle with truth and wisdom and meaning. Encourage the people at your papers to actively reach out more to the world off the campus. There is a whole world out there that can see and hear you quickly and give you feedback. You may often not like what you hear but education, like a lot in life is painful at times. Little education comes from the four years and hundreds of thousands of dollars your spending. Reach out. Try to engage beyond the bubble.

Anyway: Thanks for the time and comment. Good luck to you . You’ll need a lot if we continue this transformation of the greatest country there has ever been.

Maybe invite a non Leftist to speak to you. It wont hurt too much to hear traditional American ideas. Maybe try out the great Dennis Prager. He used to be solidly on the Left. Argue with him. Tell him why you are in love with Leftism. The give and take makes us all stronger in this still fairly beautiful and fairly free country.

With respect:

Howard Sachs/ Wash DC

ps: why dont you give your name when you discuss with people. Isnt that a basic part of communicating???

• MacFly1

Haha, couldn’t read past your second sentence. b.s.

• MacFly1

So a black guy is racist against blacks? Hahahahahaha.

• ekaneti

Yale is a bastion of ignorance

• MacFly1

It is that but most colleges in the U.S. and the rest of the west are the same. As Michael Savage says, “liberalism is a mental disorder.”

• Univ5

What? You’re evidence that blacks/latinos commit more crimes is that they are crime suspects more often? Are you out of your mind?

• betterperson

He’s entirely right. 80% of people currently serving sentences for marijuana possession are black, while a majority of marijuana users are white.

• ekaneti

Blacks are 13% of the population and commit 51% of all murders.

• 87654poker

But you’re still missing the point; it has nothing to do with the victims. Police disproportionately arrest blacks and Latinos for crimes; that is fact. You can’t cite that as evidence that blacks and Latinos commit crimes more!

• Anila Abhay

This knockout game is not new. As knock out game grows, author was ahead of the news. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/11/25/As-Knock-Out-Game-Grows-Author-Was-Ahead-of-the-News

• Bathman

Holy cow you’re ignorant! Colin Flaherty is an outright racist demagogue. Seriously, read up on him. And the Knockout Game has certainly been around for years, but as perhaps one incident a year nationally, not as a widespread and growing trend. It’s used by racists to drum up support for “colorblind” policies that destroy minority communities.

• Anila Abhay

I’m just after the reports he did. I don’t take it personally against him.. But let’s face it. It’s really happening. It’s not a trend before because no one is reporting it.

• Dan Daly

my experience in NYC Minorities destroyed what was “GIVEN” to them!

• MacFly1

They were just pawns in the democratic party plans for more votes and power. Look at Detroit to see where this all leads. Don’t worry they’ll blame the Tea Party even though they’ve been spending like this for decades.

• MacFly1

Bathman, I hope you get your knockout soon.

• Ward Dorrity

I have a game, and it has one very simple and easy to understand rule: assault me or my wife and I will kill you. Without hesitation, mercy or remorse.

For those who wish to pull out the race card, don’t bother. You’re all equal over the sights of my SIG.

• je17

Guarantee this guy is 13 and a beast at CoD

• Ward Dorrity

No, I’m 62. Can’t take a punch like I used to.

“Never get in a fight with an old man. If he’s too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”
        — John Steinbeck

Get a clue, sonny.

• je17

“Never get in a fight with a juggernaut. Unless you have the M60, they’re basically invincible.”
          — warddorrity

• Ward Dorrity

The perspicacity and intelligence on display in your posts leaves us with but one burning question: do your parents let you out of the basement on occasion, or do they still feed feed you through a slot in the door?

• Dan Daly

MG 34 or 43

• MacFly1

I’ll take .50 sniper a long way away.

• newyork1974

Traffic really bad out there on the freeway today, eh, warddority? But you shouldn’t be texting while driving, even if you do feel like killing the guy who just cut you off. And having fantasies about all the people you’d like to kill with your SIG just isn’t healthy.

• Ward Dorrity

The violent and disturbing nature of your post reveals rather more about your mindset than you might want to think. It is in fact a strong argument for immediate psychiatric intervention on your behalf and a rigorous regime of psychoactive medications.

As a side note, it’s always interesting to see that those with the most immature and violent fantasies are typically leftist in what passes for their thought processes and are the least connected to reality.

Get help. And soon. Before you hurt someone.

• newyork1974

I take the train.
          I get to read the paper, or a nice book, and arrive relaxed.
          And I don’t have a gun, nor do I need or want one.
          Your fantasies about somebody attacking you or your wife, and how you are going to kill them with your SIG is classic roadrage stuff. It’s also been found to be the main audience behind drive-time rightwing talk radio.

• MacFly1

But you live in your parent’s basement, right noo yawk? How’d you like your Libya bombed?

• Dan Daly

My retired LEO friends and I are now walking around with defense in shit areas!

• eaglestalon

“The oft-reported claim of an epidemic of black-on-white street crime is a
    bigoted myth. In fact, the opposite appears to be the case. In 2011,
    there were 3,645 victims of “racially motivated hate crimes,” according
    to data compiled by the FBI. Nearly 72 percent of the victims, an
    appalling majority, were targeted because of “anti-black bias.”

Hey Scott? You are a fool for printing this crap. Of course “Hate Crimes” of white on black greatly outnumber hate crimes of white on black. The reason, if you would be honest or perhaps do some legitimate research is crimes involving black on white are almost NEVER treated as “hate crimes”. It is ONLY minorities who when attacked by other than minorities have that attack considered to be a hate crime.

• Dan Daly

BS! You are a liar, Whites overwhelmingly are Victims of BLACK on White hate crimes! You are a moron due to the fact that Federal LEO STATS indicate the opposite of your lies! NP!

• Corpus_Innominata

Not only is black-on-white violence higher than white-on-black but dramatically so.

The FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) is one of the “official” sources of
        crime statistics.

Blacks are 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime
        against whites then vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit a
        robbery.

• MacFly1

The comment below from “So Much Racism” is par for the course for our kids who graduate with “Gender Studies” degrees while the Chinese churn out engineers.

SMR, I hope you experience what so many whites have in this country.

• MacFly1

You are lying so here’s some reality for your “progressive” addled brain:

Blacks commit a disproportionate share of hate crimes. Whites are 63 percent of the population, but commit 56 percent of the hate crimes. Blacks are 13 percent of the population but commit 23 percent of the hate crimes.

Furthermore since the FBI statistics don’t appear to separately categorize Latinos, it’s likely that the “white” statistics actually includes Latinos. This is an ongoing problem with the FBI sometimes classifying Latinos by victim category, but not by perp category. More significantly, when it comes to violent crimes, anti-white hate crimes tend to be more violent than anti-black hate crimes.

For example, the FBI lists an anti-white murder in 2012, but no anti-black murder. An anti-white rape, but no anti-black rapes.

The vast majority of anti-black hate crimes were classified as intimidation (635) and vandalism (674) with larger spikes in various forms of assault. It may be that anti-white hate crimes are unlikely to be classified and recorded unless they are particularly violent.

• Guest

…Or maybe there is actually a game called knockout “spreading” across the country. We may not like that it’s happening, we may be frustrated that a headline about racially motivated crime is adding to the racial problem, and we may be annoyed that it upholds racial stereotypes, but the game exists. I’m not going to fault the media, or the police chief, for reporting on it, just as I don’t fault them for reporting on senseless, scary crimes that happen in other racial communities.

• MacFly1

good for you, cupcake.

• ldffly

How does one interpret the motives of gangs of youths when they assault people? I don’t know and really don’t care. Such a group is wicked; the behavior is wicked. Period.

Myths? Argue as much as you’d like as to whether this happens. It does happen. Since 2011, it has happened at least three times in the city of St. Louis. Here is a link to a report of the aftermath of one incident which occurred in the city of St. Louis:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/knockout-game-widow-tells-of-lonely-life-after-husband-s/article_636cb831-f292-5238-b70d-5e523205ff1f.html

• theantiyale

It’s not ‘wicked”. It’s sociopathic.

We are raising certain types of kids who have no empathy and who get a rush from hurting others.

It may have been a better world when religion reigned and “hell” loomed large as possible punishment.

The Roman Catholic Church used to say (when i was a child), “give me a child for the first five years: You can have him thereafter”. Psychologists agree that the conscience is formed by the age of five from lessons taught a child by parents.

There’s the rub. Parenting.

• Corpus_Innominata

Or could it be that they see white skin and just get an emotional sense
        of racial hatred? That’s been my observation.

• Corpus_Innominata

I have a really wild theory:
      Maybe blacks in general are just really hateful toward whites.
      Maybe that’s how it’s been for about the last half century.
      Maybe the media depiction of race and hatred actually has the roles
      reversed between blacks and whites.
      Maybe the media is not being very truthful about racial conflict.

Maybe anti-racist is just a codeword for anti-white.

• MacFly1

Of course.

• Tin

Another privileged white kid whining

• Syco

Yup, don’t respond to the argument at all. Not sure why his race is relevant…

• MacFly1

the “argument” is bullshyte.

• Severus7

Did the writer draw the conclusion regarding the race of the New Haven perpetrators from Chief Higgins’s email? The email seemed blandly non-racial.

• Dan Daly

FEDERAL Crime Stats and number don’t lie . Only the delusional!

• Corpus_Innominata

You could show these anti-whites actual videos and they would still
      deny it. It’s like back in the 1950s when Flat Earth Society saw the first
      photos of a round Earth.

• MacFly1

It takes an idiot like “Stern” to regurgitate this B.S. Scott Stern I hope you get knocked out and end up in a hospital like many people have in the U.S. I don’t want you to die, though. Just experience reality so you can wake up, dkhead.

• pcl

What this piece ignores is more revealing than what it claims. The author didn’t see fit to address the fact that the target of the Brooklyn attacks were disproportionately Hasidic Jews, a favorite target of black gangs. He also didn’t mention that the term “polar bear hunting” was used by the perpetrators, not just FOX commentators. It seems like such a desperate attempt at spin that you can’t help but wonder what it’s attempting to cover up. If Scott Stern is so willing to tell the victims of the Brooklyn attacks that they are just a “myth”, I doubt he’ll have a problem with the selective enforcement of federal “hate crime” laws either.

• fatherlarsathon .

This author has chosen willful ignorance instead of facing stark reality. Very common. There are thousands of these racist attacks against whites, many of which were videotaped. It’s easily researched. Of course that would risk venturing outside of your comfort zone. The fantasy world might give way to the real world.