This was a developing story. Updates were posted here until 3pm today. The complete story can now be found here.

Reports of a gunman on campus were “confirmed” near Old Campus, where freshmen dorms are housed, by a text update from the University around 11 a.m. Announcements have been broadcast in dorm rooms and sightings of police and the SWAT team have been reported outside Old Campus. New Haven Police Department Lieutenant Jeff Hoffman confirms no shootings, no injuries.

Rob O’Gara ’16, said that police are concentrated on Elm Street between Saybrook, Berkeley and Old Campus. O’Gara said that, for the past 20 minutes, police have been yelling at each other to “get cover” and at someone else — likely the gunman — to pull back. The standoff has continued since, and officers seen near Saybrook are reported to be carrying rifles.

Many students have left campus for Thanksgiving break, but those interviewed from campus said that they have not noticed anything unusual other than the alert messages.

Maria Bouffard, director of emergency management, confirmed that NHPD and YPD officers have been brought to the scene. Bouffard said that updates will continue to be posted on the University’s official emergency services website as they are received.

At 10:20 a.m., the Yale emergency alert system sent out phone calls and text messages to students notifying them of reports of a man with a gun on campus. The messages indicated that an anonymous tip to the NHPD had been made from a phone booth on Columbus Avenue. The messages told students to remain in place. The University’s PA system, which is used to announce other emergency situations like fires, has not been used.

Cops were not seen around Pierson or Calhoun colleges as of 10:37 a.m. A 10:50 a.m. text update to students stated the shelter was still in place. At 11:55 a.m. a text update confirmed that the shelter in place and lock-down remain in effect. 12:16 p.m. Traffic was being diverted by New Haven police, and ambulances were are on the scene as a precaution. It is not clear whether anyone is inside. According to NBC Connecticut, the following streets are closed:

High Street between Elm and Chapel streets

Chapel Street between High and College streets College Street between Chapel and Elm streets Elm Street between College and High streets

12:31 p.m. According toJeff Hoffman one person has been detained, and is being interviewed the by the YPD and the NHPD. He was arrested on Elm Street, near College Street, but did not have a gun on him. Hoffman said there still has not been a sighting of anyone in possession of a gun. Hoffman added he could not confirm rumors of a gunman inside of Battell Chapel. The search appears to be continuing for the suspect. Reports have been that the suspect is a white male, some saying with a backpack and rifle.
The New Haven Independent reported that a Yale student called the police to report that his roommate “wanted to shoot up the school” on Monday.
Hoffman said that a call from the Hill neighborhood was the reason for the initial lockdown. However, the caller did not remain on the scene and did not talk the police, calling his credibility into doubt.

1:25 p.m. New Haven Police Department spokesman David Hartman said the call lasted only a few seconds, and was from a payphone at 9:30 a.m. this morning. Hartman described the call as “a statement,” that the caller’s roommate was headed to campus with a gun. The caller was male and did not identify himself as a Yale student. Hartman said that no suspect has been detained, and that reports from witnesses interviewed have been contradictory. According to NBC, SWAT teams are conducting searches to clear buildings on Old Campus. Gateway Community College is on a precautionary lockdown, as are several New Haven Public Schools.

1:45 p.m. Yale Alert sends a text message to the Yale Community that police are conducting room to room searches beginning with the residential colleges, and that the shelter in place continues. A following call said that the police would identify themselves by slipping a Yale ID under the door, and requested that students cooperate. It added that in some areas Yale Police may simply use keys.
1:55 p.m. In an update from Hartman, he said, “Things are pretty status quo as far as our investigation is concerned.” Hartman confirmed that the NHPD and YPD are being supplemented by the FBI and Connecticut state police. He added that earlier reports of sightings of someone with a long gun may in fact have referred to law enforcement officers responding to the situation. Hartman confirmed that no one is in custody at the moment and said that an all clear will likely not be given for at least several hours.
2:25 p.m. NBC reports that border patrol and Department of Homeland Security are also on the scene. There have still been no reports of a gun fired or injuries on campus.
Tasnim Elboute and Isaac Stanley-Becker contributed reporting.

• dofphish .

Golly, looks like they sent in the troops. Glad this isn’t America. Posse Comitatus wouldn’t allow it. What? They found a way around it? They just militarized the existing police forces? And that was necessary? You say the popo aren’t cowards? Ohhhh, ok. I was a bit confused. I needed that clarification.

Thanks!

• Jeremy Banchiere

People like you have been screaming “reckoning” for 200 years.

• dofphish .

Reckoning? Wow, thems fightin words, right?

People like me want what is right. I care about my fellow human beings. Are you not one? OHHH, that’s right. Sheep. Took me a second.

Allow me to speak your native tongue to you. “Bahhhhhhh”
        Go back to sleep, sheep.

• InklingBooks

Wouldn’t it be simpler to allow Yale’s carefully vetted and more responsible students to carry concealed weapons? Then there’d be no need for most students to cower “in place.”

Remember, the best response to a crazed gunman isn’t SWAT teams who can’t arrive quickly or be everywhere at once. It’s having your own armed and sane gunman–someone you know and trust. Remember too that these crazed gunman almost invariably strike gun-free zones such as college campuses.

Going about armed was Eleanor Roosevelt’s response to the threats made on her life. She packed a pistol and lived to died of natural causes in her home at 78.

• pollypocket13579

but on the other hand, no

• Guest

What a remarkable response to an article which cites a blurb from the Independent that suggests the gunman may be a Yale student! What a remarkable response!

• Jeremy Banchiere

Yes! I have always said that the wild west was a safer time because everyone had guns. It’s a historical fact that Tombstone was one of the safest places in America because everyone knew people were holding guns and they wouldn’t dare pull one on them. (Do I need do add /s?)

• Civil Opinion

I generally agree that more guns actually make us safer, as only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun, but in the instances of school shootings, I am hesitant for this simple reason: What happens when someone sees someone with a gun? They freak out. They could VERY easily end up shooting the wrong person, someone whom, just like they, were trying to stop the bad guy with the gun. Also, it makes it more difficult for police to distinguish which guns are from law abiding citizens, and which are from criminals. It makes things much more complicated.

That being said, schools are especially vulnerable and should be protected better. Recent laws re: having guns locked in your car on campus are futile. You can’t get to your car fast enough to stop a shooter.

Personally, I’m an advocate of armed security at every entrance/exit of a school. You could even have volunteer CHL security. Every school has those over protective parents that would love nothing more than to just be present at the school to “ensure” security. THAT being said, if a shooter wants to shoot, he’ll just shoot the “security” FIRST. Doesn’t seem to be a catch-all solution either way.

• $624659

I love that people like you exist in this conversation. Your actual plan for the college’s emergency response policy is to arm a bunch of “vetted” 18 or 19 year old students and have them get in a shootout with whomever they feel threatened by. Solid plan there. Absolutely no room for anything to go wrong. Why didn’t they think of this sooner?! Referencing the First Lady from 70 years ago and her rumored gun policy definitely adds credibility, because we all know she participated in many shootouts in her 78 years.

• undergrad_14

I mean, I agree that Yale should let licensed people carry guns. But seriously, this is as bad as those on the other side who never miss an opportunity to politicize anything.

• PK Miller

What if this is a hoax? What if said roommate wanted time off, maybe get back at roommate for some grudge/offense or another, maybe just wanted to get everyone/everything stirred up & sit back & watch the chaos unfold. Stranger things….

• Thomas Jefferson

Gunman in a gun free zone? I refuse to believe it!!!!

• Gregale

Despite some ambiguous wording at the emergency.yale.edu website, the only “confirmed” gunmen on campus today seem to have been law enforcement officers. Maybe it’s time to change the headline on this article?

• theantiyale

The one thing I learned at Kent State in 1970 is that people act on incomplete information; and that the presence of people carrying guns (officially) and rumors of others carrying guns (unofficially), is no guarantee of safety.

Coolheadedness is at a premium in such a situation.

• Gregale

Monday, November 25, 2013: the day that I finally agreed with theantiyale about something.

• ldffly

As with everybody else, I pray that this works out with no injuries or loss of life.
    Point of information: why was DHS involved?

• joey00

..So a gunman was never seen on campus. Maybe time for some clarification – An anonymous caller from ..? States that “his roommate is going to Yale with a gun” ,okay
    So the police show up and another anonymous caller..from the payphone on Columbus Avenue says they see a gunman , so now ” A gunman was spotted on campus..Was the original call made from the Columbus Avenue pay phone? (roommate comin,eli comin)

• theantiyale

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/25/yale-university-gunman-shelter-in-palce/3698273/

USA Today reporting “Possible Hoax” at Yale

Where’s YDN on this? “Gunman Confirmed on Campus” remains YDN’s headline at this hour.