See full coverage of The Game at yaledailynews.com/thegame13 and follow live updates @yaledailynews and @YDNSports with #TheGame13.

Yale has struggled with the loss of several key offensive leaders this year, but quarterback Logan Scott ’16 stepped in under center for Hank Furman ’14 at Princeton and became an impact player.

Though it was his first collegiate start, Scott put on an impressive performance against the No. 31 defense in the FCS, throwing for three touchdown passes and 19 more yards than Princeton quarterback and Walter Payton Award Watch List nominee Quinn Epperly.

“Logan had a solid effort. He threw the ball well, he made some nice plays with his feet, he made solid decisions and he made good decisions in the option game,” said head football coach Tony Reno “[Scott] is a cool character. Nothing’s really going to rattle Logan in there.”

Scott said that his calm demeanor helps him to prepare for games.

As opposed to filling with nerves and doubts when told that he will play, Scott said that he goes to practice with the same level head and continues to prepare as if he was going to start regardless.

“I prepare each week as if I was going to be starting.” Scott said. “You have to be ready to go if your number is called. I just eat a good breakfast and listen to “Jump Around” by House of Pain right before I go out on the field; otherwise I just let the game come to me.”

Scott spent the majority of this season on the sidelines, not just watching the game and motivating his teammates, but also helping the quarterback on the field with the play card. When his number was called against Brown, he stepped onto the field for the second time this season. Scott calmly led the Bulldogs down the field, then handed the ball off to wide receiver Deon Randall ’15, who scored the 32-yard game-winning touchdown with just 19 seconds remaining.

“Logan’s always been a good player for us,” Randall said. “Logan’s a tremendous quarterback, [but] he’s an even better guy. I think he did a great job … making great reads and stepping up as a leader.”

Scott’s talent has developed significantly since his flag football days as an 8-year-old, but it has exploded from the beginning of high school to where he is now.

In his senior year of high school, Scott passed for 2,000 yards and ran for 900 at Chaminade High School, leading the school to a No. 18 ranking in California.

While Scott did not get the nod upon arriving in New Haven in the fall of 2012, he has taken full advantage of the time he has had under center, helping the Elis overcome the loss of quarterback Eric Williams ’16 to injury, throwing for 67 yards and a touchdown to help Yale beat Penn last season.

Unfortunately, Scott’s stellar freshman performance was limited to the Penn game due to a season-ending hand injury.

With nothing but The Game in front of him, Scott said that he looks forward to being a difference maker in the final game of his sophomore season.

“The atmosphere and excitement around The Game is unlike any other game we play all year. It’s really cool how many students, faculty, and alumni show their support to the players all week leading up to The Game,” Scott said. “Last year The Game was at Harvard, so I’ve never been a part of the The Game in the Yale Bowl, I expect it to be a blast.”

Scott is a sophomore in Branford College from Woodland Hills, Calif.