On Tuesday afternoon, the New Haven Police Department arrested Adrian Bennett, the man suspected of the October 26 shooting at Key Club Cabaret. The incident left five wounded and one, 26-year-old Erica Robinson, dead. At a press conference just hours after the shooting, NHPD Chief Dean Esserman announced that officers had secured Bennett’s arrest warrant.

“For the safety of this community, for the respect of this family who has lost their daughter, for his own safety: I hope [Bennett] hears loud and clear that the New Haven Police will not let up,” Esserman said at the press conference.

Robinson’s death marked the Elm City’s sixteenth homicide of 2013. It also continued a recent trend in late-night violence at clubs. To address this, NHPD officers have increased their focus on securing the city’s entertainment venues and Mayor John DeStefano has pushed for legislative reform to make bars and clubs safe through stricter liquor, safety and crowd standards.

In a press release, NHPD spokesman David Hartman said that Bennett was taken into custody at a home in Hartford, and that no incidents took place during the arrest.

A press conference to formally announce the arrest and provide details on the preceding investigation will be held Wednesday morning at the NHPD’s Union Avenue office.

MAREK RAMILO