In the tight race on Election Day, a few campaigns took aggressive measures to get voters to the polls.

David Liu ’17, who opened his dorm room door on Tuesday to find two Eidelson campaigners, found himself walked directly to the polls shortly thereafter. Having an especially busy schedule that day, Liu was not particularly motivated to vote so he politely declined at first.

The campaign volunteers persisted until Liu relented.

“I made a final effort at resistance, but again it proved futile, and I succumbed to their demands that I go vote,” Liu said.

Other students were pushed to vote as well. According to Liu, a registered student was woken up from a nap in a library to walk over to the polls.

Ben Mallet ‘16, the Paul Chandler campaign manager, suggests that this aggressive behavior might be a result of trying to get as many same-day registration voters out to cast ballots.

Mallet adds that the aldermanic race was dominated by Democratics until the very end, when Chandler gained some momentum. Voters may have taken longer to warm up to Chandler’s platform and proposals for the ward, Mallet said, and therefore last minute registration was key for the campaign.

“We were not there to be annoying,” Mallet said in reference to the Chandler campaign efforts. Mallet wanted his staff to inspire people to vote for Chandler, not force them to, and encouraged his staff to stay clear of “aggressive tactics.”

In reflection, Liu says “those campaigners that escorted me were actually very nice and were doing their job” but adds “it is a bit much sometimes.”

TASNIM ELBOUTE