The field hockey team has won back-to-back games just once so far this season as it has battled through a tough schedule. Although the weekend started on a high note, consecutive wins once again eluded the Bulldogs.

Yale (7–9, 3–3 Ivy) brought its Ivy League record to .500 with a 3–1 win at Columbia (6–10, 2–4) on Friday, but they returned home on Sunday only to be shut out 3–0 by No. 8 UConn (15–4, 6–1 Big East).

Yale took an early lead against Columbia on Friday, scoring the only goal of the first half. Back Danee Fitzgerald ’16 played the forward position against the Lions and netted the first tally at 11:04.

Neither team was able to score for the next 50 minutes until the Elis broke through the Columbia defense twice in a short span. During the 62nd minute, forward/midfielder Erica Borgo ’14 extended the lead to 2–0 before back Noelle Villa ’16 tallied another goal two minutes later, giving the Bulldogs a 3–0 lead with a little more than five minutes to play.

Goalkeeper Heather Schlesier ’15 just missed registering a shutout for the second straight game, making eight saves to stave off the Lions.

Columbia kept Yale from recording a shutout, however, scoring in the last minute on a penalty stroke by forward Anna Scipioni. Captain and midfielder/back Georgia Holland ’14 also contributed, in her fourth consecutive game with a defensive save.

Overall, Yale outshot Columbia 24–21 and minimized its fouls, committing only 40 fouls to Columbia’s 61.

The Bulldogs returned home to face the Huskies on Sunday, losing 3–0 even after a remarkable defensive effort from Schlesier, who made a career high 16 saves.

The Elis were simply outmatched against the Huskies. Connecticut outshot Yale 35–4 and earned 14 penalty corners compared to the Bulldogs’ three. UConn capitalized on one of its penalty corner opportunities in the first half, with midfielder Anna Middendorf scoring at the 8:58 mark. The Huskies extended their lead to 2–0 on a penalty stroke by midfielder Roisin Upton at the 29:18 mark.

Upton scored again with under five minutes to play to bring the final score to 3–0.

Yale, on the other hand, could not net a goal, denied by Husky goalkeeper Sarah Mansfield all game. With the win, UConn clinched a share of the Big East title.

Although the game resulted in a loss, the contest still showcased the Bulldogs’ defensive effort. Yale was able to hold UConn’s leading scorer, forward Chloe Hunnable, scoreless throughout the game. Furthermore, Holland recorded her fifth consecutive game with a defensive save.

“Georgia has done an outstanding job leading our defense over the past few weeks,” forward Brooke Gogel ’14 said. “The whole backfield has been very strong and has kept opposing teams from scoring, even when we have been up against the top scorers in the nation.”

Yale will have an opportunity to finish its season with a winning conference record next Saturday. The season concludes when Yale hosts Brown at home for senior day, honoring Borgo, Gogel, Holland, goalkeeper Emily Cain ’14, forward/midfielder Gabby Garcia ’14 and midfielder Emily Schuckert ’14.

ASHLEY WU