Barely one week after his inauguration, Yale president Peter Salovey has one more appointment to celebrate.

On Monday, the national Institute of Medicine (IOM) announced that it had elected Salovey and immunologist Ruslan Medzhitov of the Yale School of Medicine as its newest members. Established by the National Academy of Sciences in 1970, the IOM advises the public, health professionals, and public officials on healthcare and health policy.

Robert J. Alpern, dean of the Yale School of Medicine, said that Salovey and Medzhitov are “very different scientists who represent the spectrum of excellence” among Yale’s science faculty.

The IOM cited Salovey for developing the concept of emotional intelligence – how not only intellectual, but also emotional skills can guide thinking and decision-making. Also mentioned was Salovey’s current research, which examines how effective communication can influence people to modify behaviors correlated to cancer and HIV/AIDS. Other studies by Salovey and others have already been used to address how public health officials might more broadly educate the public on disease prevention and detection.

Medzhitov was recognized for his work in the field of innate immunity, or how bodies provide immediate defense against infection. His membership to the IOM follows a year of accolades for his immunology research, including the inaugural Lurie award from the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health for advancing research in the biomedical sciences.

Both Salovey and Medzhitov said it was “a great honor” to be asked to join the IOM board.

“I’m grateful to the National Academy of Sciences, and I look forward to contributing to the important advisory role of the Institute of Medicine in addressing the challenges of our nation’s health and health care policies and institutions,” Salovey said.

Including Salovey and Medzhitov, the IOM inducted 70 new members and 10 foreign associates this year.