In its first weekend as the No. 1 ranked team in the country, the coed sailing team came up just short at the Hatch Brown Trophy in Boston, but the No. 3 women’s team picked up the slack for Yale with a victory at the Mrs. Hurst Bowl.

Overall, the Yale squads competed at four events, emerging with the women’s team’s lone victory earned in defense of their title at the Mrs. Hurst Bowl regatta at Dartmouth.

“I think I was pretty pleased with how we did,” said skipper Graham Landy ’15, who competed at the Hatch Brown Trophy. “[It was] certainly not the best performance for myself personally.”

The coed team finished second overall behind No. 3 Boston College at the Hatch Brown Trophy, which was hosted by MIT and Boston University and held on the Charles River. Competing in the A division, Landy and crews Katherine Gaumond ’15 and Charlotte Belling ’16 placed sixth, while Yale pairs in the B and C divisions finished fifth and first, respectively.

Although Landy noted that he did not regard the weekend as a signature personal effort, he emphasized the value of competing on the Charles River, which features difficult wind patterns that make for tough sailing.

“The goals of these early season regattas isn’t necessarily to win but to sort of get back in the swing of things and start making decisions on the racecourse that will allow for more consistency later on in the year,” Landy said.

The coed team competed at two other events during the weekend: the Nevins Trophy in King’s Point, N.Y. and the Boston Harbor Invitational. The Elis, led by a second-place performance from skipper Morgan Kiss ’15 and crews Will Feldman ’14 and Amanda Salvensen ’14, raced to fourth at the Nevins Trophy and finished sixth at Boston Harbor.

Although the women’s team competed at only one event this weekend, it also brought home the weekend’s only first-place finish for Yale. The squad outpaced second-place finisher and host Dartmouth by 24 points to come away with the victory.

“We were just super consistent this weekend,” captain Marlena Fauer ’14 said. “We’re just trying to do well in as many regattas as we can.”

Fauer was joined by Eugenaia Custo Greig ’14 in the A division, while skipper Urska Kosir ’15 and crew Emily Johnson ’16 raced for the Bulldogs in the B division.

The women’s team finished out of the top-six only once in 16 races at Dartmouth in a remarkably steady performance.

“That doesn’t happen too often,” Fauer said.

The coed sailing team has a full slate next weekend as it continues its season, staring down four events on the schedule. The team will compete at the St. Mary’s Intersectional, the New England Men’s Singlehanded Championships, the 31st Hood Trophy and the Salt Pond Invitational. The women’s team will take part in the Regis Bowl at Boston University.