THE NEWS

• Out of a pool of nearly 30,000 applicants, 2,031 were accepted and 1,360 chose to come to campus this fall — making for a yield rate that almost exactly mirrors last year’s. Although the Admissions Office admitted the lowest percentage of applicants in Yale history to the class of 2017, the final yield rate — the percent of accepted students who choose to enroll in the fall — came in at 68.3 percent, compared to the 68.4 percent yield in 2012, when four fewer students chose to accept their offers of admission. In addition to the 1,360 students who arrived as freshmen this year, 39 students chose to postpone their offers of admission until next fall and are not included in yield calculations.
  • Philippine ambassador to the United States Jose Cuisia said in a lecture Thursday evening that the present-day relationship between the two nations is positive the countries “work together to advance democracy, peace, and good governance.” At the talk, Cuisia made a case for his nation’s success, focusing on the Philippines’ status as a “Tiger Cub economy,” or an export-driven, growing economy. Cuisia, a former businessman who attended Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania for graduate school, said U.S.-Philippines relations are at a new high and the Philippines have become a rising power in Southeast Asia.
  • Three intrepid reporters visited a nudist colony in northern Connecticut this past weekend — and they lay bare their experiences in tomorrow’s WEEKEND. Intruiged? Disgusted? Read tomorrow’s News to get the scoop.

THE WEATHER

High of 75 degrees, low of 55 degrees, sunny.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Hard Cooked Eggs, Vegan Waffles, Waffle, Blueberry Muffins, Fresh Fruit, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Waffle Bar

Lunch: White Clam Pizza, Boston Clam Chowder, Peruvian Corn Salad, Roasted Broccoli and Farro Salad, Spicy ROast Beef Sandwich, Lemon and Kalamata Olive Hummus, Sweet Potato French Fries, Coconut Macaroon Cookies, Vanilla Chai Cupcakes, Fresh Fruit, English Turkey Club, Cheese Pizza, Beef Chili with Mushroom Duxelles, Sauteed Swiss Chard with Beans

Dinner: Chilindron Chicken, Penne Pasta with Salsa Sofrito, Roasted Chickpeas and Spinach, Boston Clam Chowder, Peruvian Corn Salad, Roasted Broccoli and Farro Salad, Patatas Bravas with Romesco Sauce, Caramel Apple Bread Pudding, Fresh Fruit, Fried Calamari, Fried Calamari Accompaniments

In Commons

Breakfast: Hard Cooked Eggs, Cage Free Scrambled Eggs, Cage Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Vegan Waffles, Waffle, Chefs Choice Omelet, Golden Home Fries, Blueberry Muffins, Fresh Fruit, Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Waffle Bar

Lunch: Blackened Cod, Lemon Herbed Chicken Breast, Sauteed Swiss Chard with Beans, Spaghetti, Organic Tomato Sauce, White Clam Sauce, Boston Clam Chowder, Peruvian Corn Salad, Roasted Broccoli and Farro Salad, Spicy Roast Beef Sandwich, Lemon and Kalamata Olive Hummus, Sweet Potato French Fries, Coconut Macaroon Cookies, Vanilla Chai Cupcakes, Grilled Cheese on Multigrain, Cheese Pizza, Pepperoni Pizza, Spinach Pizza, Jasmine Rice, Vegetable Stir Fry Bok Choy, Vegan Dumplings and Green Curry, Vegan Curry Tofu, Shrimp Fried Rice

YALE DAILY NEWS