In memoriam. Today is the 12th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. Nearly 3,000 people died in the attacks.

Attention, seniors. Your last fall semester course schedules ever are due today at 5 p.m. Cross your t’s and dot your i’s, and don’t get fined.

Still made the podium. Yale came in third in U.S. News’ latest college rankings, which ranked more than a thousand U.S. universities on factors including graduation rate, selectivity and competitiveness of the incoming class. Princeton came in first, followed by Harvard in second and Columbia in fourth. Stanford and the University of Chicago tied for fifth place. Looks like having a social life wasn’t a factor for U.S. News.

127 hours of egging. Before the world famous actor James Franco, formerly GRD ’16, began his illustrious English career at Yale, he made a name for himself in Palo Alto, Calif. egging houses and causing ruckus. An apology letter written by the 14-year-old miscreant recently surfaced online thanking the victims of Franco’s pranks for not involving the police. “It will never enter my mind to do something like this ever again,” Franco wrote. Good thing the cameras weren’t rolling.

Race in Russia. Though 2010 World Fellow Alexei Navalny received international attention for his anti-Putin campaign and race to become Moscow’s next mayor, he did not garner enough votes in Sunday’s election to keep vying for the position. Election officials announced that Navalny received 27 percent of the vote, far more than his supporters expected, but not enough to overtake Sergei Sobyanin, who won 51 percent of the vote.

Cutting law school short. In a recent Washington Post op-ed, law professor Bruce Ackerman LAW ’67 repudiated President Obama for saying law school should last only two years rather than the standard three. Ackerman argued that the third year of law school is not just an “expensive frill,” but rather, an essential year for budding lawyers to understand the cross-applications of economics, statistics and psychology in law. Still, one can imagine that many law students would not mind saving a year of tuition.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1991 More than 300 students join together in a cake-eating protest against dining hall budget cuts and what they call a “declining quality in student life.” The protesters, who feasted on a cake shaped like Commons dining hall, denounced then-President Benno Schmidt’s decision to close Commons for dinner.

YALE DAILY NEWS