The field hockey team kicked off its season this weekend with two games, losing 6–1 against No. 7 Virginia before bouncing back and shutting out Sacred Heart 6–0.

On Friday afternoon, the Bulldogs were able to muster only one goal against the nationally ranked Virginia, which scored five unanswered goals within a 30-minute period before forward Gabby Garcia ’14 ended the streak with her first goal of the season at the 44:43 minute mark.

“We never got on our heels and played aggressively throughout the game,” head coach Pam Stuper said. “We learned something about ourselves.”

This was the first time the team had played on the field since it was resurfaced. As an Ivy League school, Yale (1–1, 0–0 Ivy) started the season one weekend behind other schools, most of which have already played two games.

Even though the team suffered a tough loss against Virginia (3–0, 0–0 ACC), midfielder Emily Schuckert ’14 said that the experience will make the team stronger going forward.

“I think we are lucky to have the opportunity to play against a high-ranked team like Virginia. It was great competition and gave us the chance to see what else we need to work on for the rest of this season,” forward Brooke Gogel ’14 said.

It was another story against Sacred Heart (2–1, 0–0 MAAC). In the beginning, Mary Altepeter, the goalkeeper for Sacred Heart, kept things close, allowing only one goal while making eight saves in the first half. Yale also had 11 penalty corners, seven of which came in the first half, but the team was only able to score once.

The Bulldogs regrouped at half time and began a dominant second half. Hungry to score, the floodgates opened for the Bulldogs as they poured in five of their six goals, outshooting the Pioneers 16-1.

Goalkeeper Emily Cain ’14 received the win, making three saves in the first half, and Heather Schlesier ’15 finished off the game, recording a save.

Yale’s six seniors led the way, combining for five of the six goals as well as three assists in the second game of the year.

“They have led extremely well since last November,” Stuper said. “Their leadership has been outstanding, their play has been strong and the six of them are a unit that leads together and that makes us strong.”

Freshmen also contributed to the game against Sacred Heart, with midfielder Kelsey Nolan ’17 scoring the sixth goal of the game.

“The freshman performed really well in their first collegiate games,” Gogel said. “It’s exciting to have such a strong freshmen class join our team.”

The Elis will be on the road this weekend with games against Albany and Hofstra.

ASHLEY WU