Run Elihu, run! Scores of Yalies tied their gym shoes and took to the streets on Monday morning to participate in the New Haven Road Race. Daniel Caballero ’15 gave a particularly strong performance in the 5K, clocking 16:57 and placing tenth out of more than 3,700 runners. Participants also included Morse Dean Joel Silverman and Master Amy Hungerford, both of whom valiantly crossed the finish line to enjoy Morse’s recovery drink of choice: chocolate milk.

There’s more. In addition, two New Haven mayoral candidates were spotted participating in the race: Justin Elicker FES ’10 SOM ’10 and Kermit Carolina. According to Carolina, who is 45 years old, he ran in the 5K in 35:14. Elicker finished the 20K in 1:35:53.

Seeking student input. The University has created the inaugural Title IX Student Advisory Board as well as the Dean’s Ad Hoc Committee on Grading. The advisory board will work with Deputy Provost Stephanie Spangler to consider ways to address sexual misconduct issues on campus, while the Ad Hoc Committee on Grading will work with Yale College Dean Mary Miller and review the University’s grading practices. Applications are due to the Yale College Council in mid-September.

Honoring talent. Yale poet-playwright and chair of the African American Studies Department Elizabeth Alexander will be recognized as a “Champion of Change” by the Center for Community Change. The award ceremony will be held on September 26 and honors Alexander for her work on racial justice and immigration reform.

Keeping organized. The YCC has launched a new “campus calendar” intended to serve as a central source for all events, including those held by student clubs, academic departments, residential colleges and athletic teams. The calendar will be fully updated by September 13.

Power of the hecklers. Popular comedian Dave Chappelle stopped his headlining set at the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival in Hartford, Conn. after hecklers prompted him to leave the stage after only a few jokes.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1942 Yale Union CIO Local 142 appeals to the National Labor Relations Board, charging the University with unfair labor practices and discrimination against union members. The complaint comes after two dishwashers were discharged from their jobs at the Freshman Dining Hall about two weeks earlier. In response, Yale administrators say the former employees were negligent and frequently left their jobs too early.

YALE DAILY NEWS