Following a seven-year investigation, the Department of Education has fined Yale $165,000 for failing to report four incidents of forcible sex offenses in 2001 and 2002, according to an April 19 letter to the Yale administration.

The DOE is imposing a $27,500 fine for each offense and two additional fines for failing to include seven required policy statements in its 2004 crime report and crime statistics from Yale-New Haven Hospital in its annual assessment. According to the DOE, these incidents are in violation of the Clery Act, which requires institutions to report sexual assault among other crimes in an annual compilation of crime data.

“The University believes that the Department’s imposition of maximum fines is not warranted based on the particular situations that resulted in findings of violations and, as a result, does not meaningfully advance the goals of the Clery Act,” University spokesman Tom Conroy told the News on Wednesday night. “The University has therefore requested that the Department reconsider and lower the fine.”

The DOE investigation was opened in 2004 after a July-August 2004 Yale Alumni Magazine article titled “Lux Veritas and Sexual Trespass” raised concerns regarding the University’s compliance with campus security requirements. The department first found Yale to be noncompliant with the Clery Act in a 2010 report to the University.

A letter sent to Yale in 2011 with conclusions of the investigation stated that the University omitted two forcible sex offenses in 2001 and two in 2002. The University also failed to “properly define its campus,” and therefore failed to provide statistics for seven additional spaces within the Yale-New Haven Hospital. In addition, the letter stated that Yale’s Annual Security Report lacked “critical information,” including a statement of campus policies related to crime reporting and response.

• concerned

Yes, Dr Levin, when I called your office as an alumna of the Graduate School to discuss my concerns about sexual harassment at Yale, you would not take my call and referred me to the General Counsel’s Office. I am very sorry these current fines from the US Dept. of Education are not 3x or more in dollar amount. You as well as many others at Yale didn’t know and didn’t want to know because you believed these issues were of no consequence to you.

• badger85

There is a specific office for discussing sexual harrassment concerns. They spent a year spamming everyone in the graduate school with requests for comments and face to face meetings concerning the sexual climate here. You should have tried contacting them. No university president takes calls from random people with concerns about the university, regardless of the validity of those concerns. I’m sure he does care, but there are procedures in place for getting your concerns heard by the administration.

• concerned

One year over the 41 year span of Title IX isn’t much of an effort to establish serious impact on misconducts and discrimination, it’s more like a legal technicality and effectiveness in the educational sphere is not likely to ensue. My attempted contact with Levin, who I believe was aware of my complaints to the Provost Office, so not a “random” person at all, took place prior to the set up you describe, and in fact, prior to the ambush, rape and murder of a graduate student within a working lab at the medical school. Now, it was lack of information about safety issues by “random people” that allowed the university to spin their runaway bride scenario in that case, even to the FBI. Until her remains were found.

• rick131

That’s all???

• boogs

I don’t know what the solution to this problem is, but I know that Yale’s approach will be to hire more assistant deans. If there’s one thing I learned at Yale, any problem can be resolved if you throw enough assistant deans at it.

• lakia

Oh hell, it’s going to be a free-for-all. The virtuous Eric Holder just made looking crossways at a fellow student illegal on college campuses. Let the games begin.