As most Yale students restart their routines following spring break, the men’s and women’s track and field teams are already in the full swing of their 2013 seasons.

After a trying indoor campaign, the Elis kicked off the outdoor season this weekend at William and Mary’s Tribe Invitational. Although the meet was not scored, several of the athletes on both the men’s and women’s squads posted impressive results over the two-day competition.

“The goal of this meet wasn’t to get our best times ever,” women’s team captain Allison Rue ’13 said in an email to the News. “Since we just came off of a hard week of training, it’s more about building a good base for the rest of spring season.”

Still, the Elis strung together several impressive performances in a number of events. On the women’s side, one such performance came in the 10,000m. Anna Demaree ’15 won the race with a time of 36:24.10, 27 seconds faster than second-place finisher Annie Norah Beveridge of Navy. Yet Demaree was not the only Bulldog in the event with an outstanding showing — teammates Jennifer Donnelly ’13 and Elizabeth McDonald ’16 finished third and fourth, respectively. All three Yale athletes met the ECAC qualifying standard for the event.

Despite their performance in the 10,000m, the Eli women had only one other top-three finish on the day. Rue placed second in the 800m with a time of 2:15.48, less than a second off the time of Katrina Donarski of Army. Amanda Snajder ’14 also placed fourth in the 100m hurdles.

“Our goals for the rest of the season are to keep improving physically and mentally, so that we can bring our strongest competition when we reach the championship meet in May,” Rue said.

Not to be outdone, the men’s team also put together a strong showing this weekend.

“Overall, the meet was a fine start to the outdoor season,” men’s team captain Timothy Hillas ’13 said. “We view this meet as an extension of a high-energy and exhausting week of spring training so it is not a good indicator of how we will perform this spring.”

As the women’s distance team impressed in the 10,000m, the men’s distance team also excelled in its events. James Shirvell ’14 won the 1500m with a time of 3:50.22, followed closely by teammates Sam Kirtner ’13 and Matt Nussbaum ’14, who finished in fourth and fifth, respectively. In the 800m, John McGowan ’15 placed second in 1:54.32, behind only Army’s Clyde Wilson. The distance team rounded out its strong day in the 3000m, in which Demetri Goutos ’13 finished third with a time of 8:30.35.

The men’s throwing team also pieced together a solid showing in the first outdoor meet of the season. Michael Levine ’13 blew away the competition in the discus, winning the event with a throw of 50.88m. Levine’s winning toss traveled more than five meters farther than that of second place finisher Scott Geary of Army.

The men’s and women’s track and field teams will continue their seasons in two weeks at the Sam Howell Invitational in Princeton, N.J.