The women’s lacrosse team kicked off its Ivy League campaign this Saturday at Reese Stadium as the Bulldogs hosted the defending Ivy Tournament Champion, No. 12 Dartmouth.

From the beginning, the Big Green (3-0, 1-0 Ivy) dominated the game. Dartmouth raced out to a 5-1 lead in the first half and finished strong in a 10-6 victory, delivering the Bulldogs (1-2, 0-1 Ivy) with their second loss of the season.

“While we played with aggression and really hustled, we just needed to keep possession and capitalize on every offensive opportunity, which we started doing more the second half,” midfielder Lauren Wackerle ’16 said. “Overall we played well — we just need to eliminate turnovers.”

Attacker Hana Bowers led Dartmouth with four goals and two assists, while captain Devon Rhodes ’13 led Yale scorers with two goals and two assists. Yellow cards plagued the Elis throughout the game, as the team suffered six cards in addition to 27 fouls. Although goalkeeper Erin McMullan ’14 registered 11 saves, Yale’s offensive momentum was disrupted, as it played shorthanded for 18 minutes of the game. Freshman midfielder Nicole Daniggelis ’16 counted her first goal of the year to bring the score to 7-3 five minutes into the second half. However, two yellow cards in the span of 16 seconds killed any Yale momentum. Dartmouth went on to score three unanswered goals and took a 10-3 lead. Although Yale did manage a pushback — scoring three goals in the last 10 minutes to set the score 10-6 — it was too late to turn the scoreboard in Yale’s favor.

“I think we definitely fought hard the whole game, but we also didn’t show all of our potential,” attacker Jen DeVito ’14 said. “I thought overall it was our turnovers that killed us the most, and that is something that is completely in our control. I’m definitely proud of the way we fought and never let them feel comfortable even when they had a lead, although of course I wish the outcome had turned out differently.”

Dartmouth won the ground ball, draw control and turnover battles in addition to outshooting the Bulldogs 31-16. The Big Green’s goalkeeper, Kristen Giovanniello, registered six saves in the game and held Yale without any free position goals on the day. Dartmouth, which remains undefeated on the year after two narrow wins against Oregon and New Hampshire, will take on No. 20 Boston College this Wednesday.

Yale has a chance to even the season record this Wednesday at Bryant at 4 p.m.

FREDERICK FRANK