Though Stanford, the University of Pennsylvania, Harvard and Brown offer health insurance coverage for students to receive gender reassignment surgery, Yale is still reviewing its policies for the procedure.

The Yale Health Plan does not currently cover gender reassignment surgeries for students, but coverage was extended to faculty and staff at the managerial and professional levels in 2011 and to the unionized workforce last month. Dr. Paul Genecin, director of University Health Services, said he has noticed “increasing interest” both at Yale and other Ivy League institutions in offering insurance coverage for the procedure. Yale Health has received “a small number” of requests from students for gender-related surgery insurance coverage in the past, he said, and changes to student benefits are currently “under consideration.”

Gabriel Murchison ’14, president of the Resource Alliance for Gender Equity, said the lack of coverage is a sign of how unwelcoming the campus environment is for prospective transgender, gender nonconforming and queer students.

“The [current] policy sends a message to trans and gender nonconforming students that our concerns are not a priority, not to mention its effect on students who need this care and rely on the Yale Health Plan for their health coverage,” Murchison said.

Yale currently offers coverage for endocrine hormonal treatments and mental health services for students with gender identity disorder with assessment, support and treatment during transitions, Genecin said. Although gender reassignment surgeries are known to be costly, Genecin said offering insurance coverage for the procedure would only have a negligible impact on student premiums because few people choose to undergo the surgery.

Genecin added that Yale Health did not grant gender reassignment surgery coverage to students when coverage was extended to faculty and staff because policies for students are considered separately. Few patients have received medical care at Yale Health for transgender issues since coverage was offered to staff and faculty, Genecin said.

Andrea Wilson, the co-chair of the Yale LGBTQ Affinity Group — which aims to promote a healthy campus environment for LGBTQ employees, professors and postdoctoral fellows — said the University was receptive to their proposal for increased coverage for nonstudent University members.

“There are few other university employers that provide this coverage including Columbia, UPenn, Bowdoin,” Wilson said. “So we’re definitely leading the way in terms of coverage from university employees for this.”

The increasing coverage offered on campus is a “model of collaborative effort” between students and nonstudents on campus, LGBTQ Resource Center Director Maria Trumpler GRD ’92 said, adding that students and staff are currently working to extend that coverage to the entire campus.

Murchison said he does not know why the Yale Health Plan does not currently cover gender reassignment surgery because the administrators he has contacted have not communicated transparently about the issue. He added that he knows several students who have unsuccessfully attempted to receive coverage for gender reassignment surgery at Yale, adding that some students need the procedure in order to function in a college setting.

Michelle Morgan GRD ’15 said she came to Yale because of its LGBTQ-friendly reputation but was disappointed that the University did not cover gender-related surgery for her partner who is female-to-male transgender because coverage is not offered to students and insurance extends only to married couples.

“Yale’s slowness on this issue is a problem from the perspective of history,” Morgan said. “When history looks back on gender-confirming surgeries and coverage, Yale should strive to be on the cutting edge and not defensive side of that history.”

All Yale students have access to acute care, gynecology, health education programs, inpatient care, laboratory services, mental health counseling, nutrition counseling and student health free of charge at Yale Health.

• alum

um… so why should insurance pay for this?

• ihaveahammer

Great point! Why should insurance pay for anything? We should scrap health coverage for students, faculty, and staff. It’s absolutely absurd that they should expect my tuition dollars to fund their medical bills. If they can’t afford it, they’re not working hard enough.

• discuss

this is a joke, right

• Cromulent

Well, since Yale’s very purpose is to educate, not to run a health care program I’d have to say that’s right.

• Cromulent

“The [current] policy sends a message to trans and gender nonconforming students that our concerns are not a priority”

Sure hope that is true. If Yale is sane. Pay for it yourself.

• saybrugian

“Michelle Morgan GRD ’15 said she came to Yale because of its LGBTQ-friendly reputation but was disappointed that the University did not cover gender-related surgery for her partner who is female-to-male transgender because coverage is not offered to students and insurance extends only to married couples.”

Wait, what? Even if we admit that it would be nice and progressive for Yale to provide gender reassignment surgery, that should be for students, faculty, and staff ONLY. It is NOT Yale’s responsibility to pay for sex change surgery for people’s PARTNERS and to do so would be an unfair misallocation of Yale resources.

• alex

Actually, all graduate and professional school students qualify to put their spouses on their insurance plans.

• eli1

Nice to see Michelle Morgan return after a brief hiatus from her inane ramblings during the dke controversey a few years ago. Its funny how the same people are continually “victimized” by Yale’s terrible, draconian, conservative, certainly not-at-all progressive ways. Thanks Michelle, for shedding light once more on the true victims at Yale.
    Anyway, the reason why Yale shouldn’t pay for this is the same reason why I am not covered by Yale for all the plastic and cosmetic surgery I want. It is not medically necessary. As much as you all think you will die if you don’t get this surgery, I can assure you that it will not be the case. Anyway, I’m sure this will pass, as Yale has continually caved to pressure from the tiny minorties who stomp their feet the loudest. Everybody have fun paying higher health insurance premiums next year!

• Equity makes cents

The economic effects, as mentioned in the article, would be negligible. The economic disadvantages trans people face, however, are disastrous. Not that the well being of your fellow humans seems to concern you in the least

• Equity makes cents

It comes down to this 1) do we believe health care is a necessity (and therefore a right) or a privilege? 2) are we or are we not going to be the kind of institution, the kind of society that discriminates? It’s that simple. If you’re going to honestly promote discrimination then at least have the courage and decency to admit that’s what you’re doing.

• Eva

this is bs, first of all I have no problem with transgender and what they wanna do with their life but I don’t think it’s fair to make the school insurance cover it. this is not a life-or-dead situation and if they want it bad enough they can work for it instead of using other people’s hard-earned tuition to fultill their vanity