Talking gun control. In yesterday’s State of the Union address, President Barack Obama closed his speech with a call for action on gun control. “The families of Newtown deserve a vote,” Obama said. “The families of Aurora deserve a vote.”

Giving back to Yale. There is exactly one week left of the Senior Class Gift campaign, an effort that has already raised nearly $19,000 with just over 55 percent participation. Branford, Calhoun and Trumbull have all surpassed 60 percent participation, with Branford leading the pack. Last year, the Senior Class Gift ended with a record-breaking 97.5 percent participation rate and $31,545.57 raised.  

So you want to be a millionaire? Sam Spaulding ’13, the quiz bowl extraordinaire who took away $50,000 from “Jeopardy!” in 2010, appeared on “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” yesterday and walked away with $1,000. The Yale senior made it up to the 10th question, correctly answering questions about television shows and The Smiths before missing one on precious gems.

Harlem Shake fever overtakes Yale. In addition to Saybrook’s blizzard-themed Harlem Shake video and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity’s Smooch’d film debut, at least three other Yale groups have created their own versions of the Harlem Shake. Some freshmen in Jonathan Edwards College patented the “Farlem Shake,” which takes place in the JE library and features a dancing half-man, half-machine figure. And in Morse C32, Yalies provide a postmodern interpretation of the Harlem Shake, motionlessly playing video games throughout the music video. The Yale crew team donned animal suits and a bear mask as they brought their dance moves to the gym.

Imposter. A prominent donor with ties to Sen. Robert Menendez, the new chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee who is currently being investigated for ethics violations, falsely claimed to have worked as an intern at Yale, according to The Washington Free Beacon. The FBI is investigating Dr. Salomon Melgen, an ophthalmologist, for falsely claiming to have trained at Yale and Harvard, according to The Beacon.

Dean of the School of Engineering & Applied Science T. Kyle Vanderlick has been reappointed and will serve a second five-year term. In a joint statement. University President Richard Levin and President-elect Peter Salovey lauded Vanderlick for her work in strengthening the engineering culture at Yale.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1920 A series of religious meetings led by Henry Sloane Coffin 1897 will begin today.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS