Fresh off winter training and a win over Cornell, the men’s swimming and diving team headed to Pennsylvania for a tri-meet against Penn and Dartmouth.

The Bulldogs dispatched Penn (2–4, Ivy 1–4) 176–124, but they faced stiffer competition against Dartmouth (2–4, Ivy 2–4). In the team’s smallest margin of victory this season, the Elis (3–0, 4–0) defeated the Big Green 154.5–145.5.

Victor Zhang ’16 produced the Bulldogs’ first victory of the meet in the 200-yard freestyle. Zhang set the tone as Mike Lazris ’15 responded with a win in the 100-yard backstroke and Alwin Firmansyah ’15 scored first place in the 100-yard and 200-yard butterfly events. The Bulldogs produced two of the top five spots in eight events, three of the top five in three events and swept the 200-yard butterfly, grabbing the top three spots.

Team captain Jared Lovett ’13 said the team’s improved depth and talent was instrumental in its close victory over Dartmouth.

“Dartmouth placed ahead of us in nine of the 16 swimming events,” Lovett said. “But our guys who were finishing second to fifth collected a lot of really important points that ultimately proved the difference in the meet.“

This renewed depth has helped the team all season, but it came in handy especially on Saturday. The Bulldogs graduated three seniors last year but have been able to match their record (5–0, 4–0 Ivy) from last year by developing their freshmen.

“Everyone has a chance to perform,” Zhang said. “We all have our individual events to perform. Head coach Tim Wise puts us in our best events, which is helpful for the team and each of us individually.”

Zhang was one of five freshmen to place in the top five in at least one event. He was one of two, along with Kevin Stang ’16, to win an event on Saturday. Stang placed first in the 200-yard backstroke.

The Bulldogs remain one of only three undefeated teams in the Ivy League conference, alongside Princeton and Harvard.

The Elis will head to Piscataway, N.J. to face Rutgers, Fordham and Rider this Saturday.