After scoring the first and only goal of the first period, the men’s hockey team was unable to convert the rest of its 35 shots, ultimately losing 6-1 to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute during Friday night’s home game.

In the beginning of the game, the Bulldogs (6–3–1, 3–3 ECAC) came out strong, physical and fast, wearing down the RPI Engineers despite an early penalty against Kenny Agostino ’14 only 1:39 minutes into the game. But RPI (3–6–3, 1–5–1 ECAC) remained unfazed by Yale’s onslaught and was ready to attack in the second and third periods.

Tommy Fallen‘s ’15 early goal came 14 minutes into the first when he intercepted a breakout pass, screamed down the slot and ripped a shot over RPI goaltender Jason Kasdorf’s shoulder, a move that marked both the beginning and end of the Bulldogs’ attack.

In the second period, RPI scored early and often. Starting just about eight minutes in, the Engineers tied it up when forward Mark Miller dropped the puck to line mate Mike Zalewski at the point. Zalewski then made a quick give and go pass with right-winger Milos Bubela and fired it low stick side.

Just about a minute later, RPI took the lead when Curtis Leonard passed a puck cross-ice to left-winger Matt Tinordi, who then fed Bubela on the back door. Bubela chipped it over Jeff Malcolm’s ’13 shoulder to bring the score to 2–1.

The Engineers then scored again with roughly four minutes left of the game, when RPI’s Ryan Haggerty beat Yale to the puck and passed it to Brock Higgs behind the net. Higgs walked out in front of Malcolm uncontested and slid the puck across the crease to Jacob Laliberte, who then slammed it in the empty net.

Starting the third period, Yale came out with more speed than they had in the first, but were quickly matched by RPI’s physical play. A couple of rough hits and pushes from behind gave Yale some power-play chances, but the Bulldogs were unable to convert on all six of their man-advantage opportunities tonight.

Despite Yale’s initial momentum and attempts to sway the game back in its favor, the Engineers scored just two minutes into the final period of action. Mark Miller picked up his second point of the game when he picked a Yale defender’s pocket on the bottom of the right circle, fired a shot off Malcolm’s pad and picked up his own rebound, putting it just out of Malcolm’s reach on the far side.

Johnny Rogic widened the Engineers’ lead to four when he picked up his own rebound and scored a spectacular spinning backhand shot just 40 seconds later.

After five goals on 30 shots, Yale head coach Keith Allain decided to replace Malcolm with Connor Wilson ’15 to give Wilson his first time in net this season.

Ryan Haggerty finished out the scoring for the Engineers with a one-timer over Wilson’s shoulder on a feed from teammate Travis Fulton.

RPI’s goaltender Jason Kasdorf made scoring difficult for the Bulldogs throughout the game, blocking 36 of 37 shots for a 0.973 save percentage.

Yale will face Union tomorrow night at 7 p.m. for another conference game and a chance to break their .500 record in the ECAC.