New Haven Mayor John DeStefano Jr. may have another challenger in the upcoming mayoral race.

Sundiata Keitazulu, a 55-year-old plumber and Elm City native, has declared his candidacy for the top spot in New Haven, becoming the second person — after DeStefano himself— to file papers with the city clerk and officially declare his candidacy .

[DeStefano has] had 20 years to alleviate the problem,” Keitazulu told the New Haven Independent. “He hasn’t done it … I know what the people need and what they want.”

Connecticut Rep. Gary Holder-Winfield and Ward 10 alderman Justin Elicker have also expressed interest in running against DeStefano and taking the helm of the Elm City.

Keitazulu said his goal is to alleviate poverty, increase police presence in Newhallville and create vocational-technical schools. He added that he thinks President Lyndon B. Johnson was the best U.S. president because Johnson understands the fight against poverty.

“Yale can afford its own police department,” he said while explaining that New Haven should expand its policing efforts beyond downtown New Haven. “The inner cities, we’ve been left out in the cold.”

In addition, in the Independent, Keitazulu gave a shoutout to one of his heroes: his third-grade teacher at Lincoln-Bassett School, Miss Moore.