Going into Saturday’s game against Columbia, the Bulldogs had not scored a goal in 250 conesuctive minutes in Ivy League play. But forward Georgiana Wagemann ’15 broke that streak just 48 seconds into the game to put the Elis up 1–0 over the Lions.

In the end, Yale (7–7–1, 1–4–1 Ivy) tied Columbia (6–8–1, 2–3–1 Ivy) 1–1 in two overtimes at Reese Stadium. After “chasing the game” in an Oct. 20 loss to Penn, in which the Bulldogs conceded first, the team took the field planning to take an early lead.

“We needed to play quickly otherwise we knew we would be playing from behind,” captain Jenny Butwin ’13 said.

Despite the fast start by the Bulldogs, the game’s momentum passed between the teams for the entire 110 minutes. Yale players said they expected the Lions to be a physically competitive team and thus came out aggressively, but the Eli offense could not keep up the pace.

The Bulldogs’ intensity began to fade as the minutes passed. According to head coach Rudy Meredith, the Lions won more 50-50 balls as the game went on.

“All of a sudden we started turning the ball over way too easily,” Meredith said. “I think that’s where the game started to change.”

The heavy physical play and intensity of the Lions began to wear down the Bulldogs and Columbia was eventually able to equalize.

Over the course of the game, Columbia recorded 13 fouls and a yellow card, while Yale had eight fouls.

“They were more physical than we were,” forward Anne Song ’13 said. “The officiating was a littler looser and they let things go.”

Keeping a one-goal lead for 89 minutes proved too formidable a challenge for the Elis, but they managed to hold the Lions at zero for 25 minutes into the second half. Near the 70-minute mark, Columbia midfielder Beverly Leon broke free and in a one-on-one opportunity against goalkeeper Rachel Ames ’16 and fired the ball past her to tie up the score.

After both teams each had a one on the scoreboard, the game remained quiet through the end of regulation. In the first and second overtimes, the Bulldogs turned the heat back up. Yale attacked the Columbia net and while the Elis did not have a flurry of scoring chances, they did manage quality opportunities that almost put the game away.

Midfielder Kristen Forster ’13 earned a couple opportunities in the Penn box in overtime, including a one-on-one with just the goalkeeper after midfielder Frannie Coxe ‘15 hit her with a beautiful cross.

But almost scoring was not enough to give the Bulldogs another Ivy win.

“It’s one of those things where you always want more,” Butwin said.

Goaltending was strong on both teams, and Yale goalkeeper Rachel Ames ’16 stopped five of six shots on goal for a save percentage of 0.833. In the Lion net, Gabby Dubick stopped one of one for a perfect save percentage. Dubick did not start, but came into the game just a minute after the kickoff when starting keeper Grace Redmon dove in an effort to stop Wagemann’s goal, but struck her head on the post.

With just two games left in Ivy League competition, the Bulldogs will go to Brown to take on the Bears this Thursday. Song and Butwin said the Bulldogs will keep focusing on quick play, strong starts and fast ball movement in preparation for the Bears.

Kickoff Thursday is scheduled for 7 p.m.