Led by the fourth-place finish of captain Bradley Kushner ’13, the men’s golf team capped off play at the Big Five Invitational this weekend with a seventh-place finish overall.

Yale entered day two of the tournament tied with Sacred Heart for the top spot in the field, but slipped in the rankings on Sunday to finish seventh out of the field of 19. Kushner, who was the top finisher for Yale, ended the tournament eight over par for the two days of play.

“Brad [Kushner] has had a tremendous fall. He has been everything you could hope for in a senior and a leader,” head coach Colin Sheehan said. “He is a conscientious golfer who is dedicated to his crafts, is swinging well, and is leading by example.”

Kushner’s dominant performance this weekend came on the heels of his tie for second place in the Macdonald Cup last weekend and a ninth-place finish in the Adams Cup to kick off the fall season. Kushner’s consistently strong play has helped the team notch three top-five finishes so far this fall.

The Bulldogs entered the Big Five Invitational following their win at home last weekend in the Macdonald Cup. While the team was unable to match that performance this weekend, the fourth-place finish represents a significant improvement from the team’s 15th place finish in the Big Five Invitational last year.

Along with Kushner, Yale saw strong performances this weekend from Sam Bernstein ’14 and Michael Lewis-Goldman ’14, who both finished the weekend 14 over to tie for 17th.

Yale’s top five was rounded out by freshmen Joe Willis ’16 and Will Davenport ’15, who finished tied for 42nd and 71st, respectively. Both have been key players for the Elis this fall, each posting second-place finishes of their own — Willis in the Adams Cup and Davenport in last week’s Macdonald Cup.

“The team is really strong again this year,” Davenport said. “Freshman Joe Willis has played extremely well this fall for us, and Brad [Kushner] and Sam [Bernstein] have been consistently awesome as usual. We have a lot of depth after that for the five spot, so the whole team is pushed to work hard and get better.”

The team finished above all other Ivy League competitors in the field this weekend, edging out Princeton by one stroke and outscoring Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth and Penn as well.

“I think we’re hungrier than ever for an Ivy Championship, and it’s showing in our work ethic and results thus far,” Davenport said.

Yale will compete in the Ivy League Matchplay Tournament on Oct. 20 and Oct. 21 in Princeton, N.J. to close out the fall season. The Ivy contest will be played in a head-to-head matchplay format, rather than the aggregate team score format that is used to decide most matches. Sheehan said that the team has been preparing for the tournament and its different style for the entire fall.

“We are very proud of our conference, which always has a very high standard for golf,” Sheehan said. “We relish the opportunity to compete against our Ivy foes.”

Correction: Oct. 16

A previous version of this article stated that the men’s golf team finished in fourth place at the Big Five Invitational. In fact, the team finished seventh. The article also stated that Michael Lewis-Goldman ’14 finished in 17th place, when in fact he was disqualified.