The field hockey team returned empty-handed from its trip to upstate New York this weekend. The Elis lost 1–0 in overtime to Cornell on Saturday and fell 5–0 to No. 1-ranked Syracuse the following day.

Despite the loss, the team had reason to be proud of its effort against the Orange. The Bulldogs (3–6, 1–2 Ivy) held the Orange scoreless in the second half, a feat that only one other team has accomplished this season.

“We definitely take Syracuse as a learning experience,” Schlesier said. “Playing the No. 1-ranked team in the nation doesn’t happen every season, so we were excited to have pulled together to shut them out the second half.”

Captain Maddie Sharp ’13 added that she was proud of the team’s strong defense, which held the top team in the country scoreless for 35 minutes.

Syracuse forward Emma Russell scored the opening goal of the game off a crossing pass from the right side of the circle from teammate Liz McInerney. McInerney led the Orange with two assists and scored a goal of her own. Orange midfielder Gillian Pinder tallied two goals four minutes apart and tied McInerney for the team lead with three points.

For the Bulldogs, goalkeepers Heather Schlesier ’15 and Emily Cain ’14 split the playing time and finished with four saves apiece. Syracuse goalie Leann Stiver finished the game untested, as the Orange amassed a 13–0 advantage in shots on goal.

Yale players said they hope to take away valuable lessons from the match against top-ranked Orange and establish a more cohesive style of play.

“I definitely think that getting a few offensive opportunities on Syracuse was exciting and a great learning experience for our team,” Schlesier said.

The Bulldogs have already faced No. 3 Connecticut and No. 4 Princeton this season, and they will take on No. 5 Virginia in their next game. After this weekend, the Elis will have played four of the top five teams in the country in their past six games.

“We have had such a tough schedule this year and have played teams ranked in the top 20,” midfielder Erica Borgo ’14 said.

Coming off a win over Sacred Heart last weekend, Yale failed to find the back of the net against Cornell (2–6, 2–1 Ivy), losing in a 1–0 overtime battle. Despite the Bulldogs’ 4–2 shot advantage in overtime play, the Big Red were able to keep the Bulldogs scoreless and find a winning goal of their own.

Yale goalkeeper Emily Cain ’14 tallied eight saves against Cornell, while boasting a .742 save percentage overall.

Yale has only lost four games to conference competitors over the past three seasons, including Saturday’s loss and an 8-0 shutout at the hands of Princeton last weekend. Cornell is currently tied for second place in the Ivy League standings.

Sharp said the team is unfazed by the outcomes of this weekend’s games and is looking forward to the rest of the season.

“Our goal for the rest of the season is to approach every game, league or non-league, with the same positive attitude,” Sharp said.

Yale will continue its regular season play this Saturday at No. 5 Virginia (11–2, 2–0 ACC) and this Sunday at Dartmouth (5-4, 2-1 Ivy).

Both games are scheduled to begin at 12 p.m.