America’s Next Top Diva? Dez Duron ’14, a onetime quarterback for the Yale football team, appeared on the NBC singing competition “The Voice” Monday night, showing his vocal prowess with a rendition of Hall & Oates’ “Sara Smile.” Duron got invites to join three of four teams, and ultimately chose to join Christina Aguilera’s team. Duron auditioned last season with a cover of “I Want it That Way,” but he did not advance.

Rest in peace. Flora “Flo” Consiglio, the matriarch of the family behind Sally’s Apizza and one of the New Haven pizza scene’s most prominent faces, died Monday afternoon at St. Raphael’s Hospital. Her husband, Sal “Sally” Consiglio, founded Sally’s in 1938, and Flo has worked in the restaurant, in a booth opposite the cash register, for years. “I can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t know the Consiglios and their family,” Mayor John DeStefano Jr. told the New Haven Register. “She was utterly authentic.”

Evidence of bias. A study published by a group of Yale faculty in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences earlier this month found that science professors, male and female alike, “rated the male applicant as significantly more competent and hireable than the (identical) female applicant,” according to the study’s abstract. The study also found that professors offered higher starting salaries to male applicants.

Her night to shine. “Girls” may not have won any of its five nominations at Sunday night’s Emmy Awards, but the show’s co-star, Allison Williams ’10, earned wide praise for her selection of an emerald green Oscar de la Renta gown for the red carpet. Women’s Wear Daily suggested Williams could become an “it” girl, pointing out her well-planned entry into the fashion world. “It was always about getting to this moment where she would wear Oscar de la Renta,” Williams’ stylist says in the piece.

From Trivia To PowerPoint. Capital One held trivia night at Anna Liffey’s Monday night, giving out iPads to members of the winning team. Meanwhile, at The Study, Altman Vilandrie & Company held an information session. The recruiting continues.

Heads up, gentiles. Yom Kippur starts today at sundown, so Jewish friends across campus will begin fasting at 6:33 p.m., a lot of classes will be cancelled on Wednesday, and atoning will be rampant. Expect apologies.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1980 Five computer science majors get in trouble for tampering with faculty and student computer files by creating dummy directories.