At the Princeton-Farnsworth Invitational, Yale doubles dominated the Ivy scene.

Amid raucous partiers from Princeton’s lawnparties and enthusiastic Tigers fans, the Elis team capitalized on its freshman talent for a consistently strong showing in both singles and doubles at the team’s first competition of the year. During the first day of play, Yale went undefeated in the doubles lineup.

“Overall, it was a pretty successful tournament,” John Huang ’13 said. “Everyone was able to pull out some very good wins and it was a strong start to the fall. We’ve only been practicing for a week or so but our doubles was very solid.”

The tournament included four other Ivy League schools among the 13 competing, and the Bulldogs competed in all six singles draws and all three doubles draws.

Yale’s doubles teams included team captain Daniel Hoffman ’13 and Marc Powers ’13, returning pair Huang and Patrick Chase ’14, Daniel Faierman ’15 and Matt Saiontz ’15, and Kyle Dawson ’14 with Zach Dean ’13. All won their first matches.

By Sunday, the doubles pairs of Dawson and Dean along with Huang and Chase had both made the finals in their respective draws. Huang and Chase upset Princeton’s No. 36 team the previous day in the semifinals, but the pair was unable to pull out the win in the final of the “A” draw. Dawson and Dean defeated Boston College’s Matt Wagner and Kyle Childree 8–5 in the final of the ‘C’ doubles main draw.

“Our style isn’t very traditional, so that helps,” Dean said. “We know each others tendencies and mesh pretty well, as far as style and attitude are concerned.”

The tournament was set up so that each of the six singles draws had 16 players from all of the different schools. Huang and Powers both suffered injuries on Friday and had to retire from their second matches of the day. Hoffman, Faierman, and Martin Svenning ’16 all finished strong with match play on Sunday.

Rookies Jason Brown ’16 and Svenning were placed in the same draw of their first collegiate competition. Brown came out with two strong victories on the first day of play and earned a spot in the semifinals against Princeton’s Dan Davies. Brown then defeated Davies 6–0, 6 –4 and became the champion of his singles draw after his opponent from Columbia, Eric Rubin, withdrew prior to the match because of an injury.

“The freshmen really stood out this past weekend,” Hoffman said. “They had an amazing first weekend and I expect them to be heavy contributors in the spring.”

Hoffman said the team’s focus for the fall to prepare and train for the spring season, when Yale will vie for the Ivy title. Next weekend, the Elis head to the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y., for the three-day National Tennis Center Collegiate Invitational.