No labor. On Monday, the University bucked a decades-old policy of laboring on Labor Day and took the day off. Students basked in the warm weather.

A Bizarre Bazaar. The Dean’s Office cracked down again at this year’s extracurricular bazaar on Sunday, keeping unregistered student groups from the annual event. As an unregistered student organization, the News instead set up outside Payne Whitney Gymnasium.

The People United. A group of around 50 students gathered at the Alumni War Memorial Monday evening for the first meeting of “Y Syndicate,” a student protest group. According to a flier advertising the meeting, “The Yale Corporation believes that corporate executives know more than Yale students about how to choose our university’s next president. The Y Syndicate believes otherwise.”

More protesting. Meanwhile, unsigned fliers went up across campus over the weekend protesting Yale’s involvement in Yale-NUS, criticizing the lack of free speech in Singapore and calling on increased action from the Yale community. “We who are the university must govern the university. Not the Yale Corporation,” the fliers read. “Stand up. Be heard. Take back Yale.”

Maybe even more protesting. Former Sen. Rick Santorum, a former Pennsylvania Senator who challenged Mitt Romney for the Republican presidential nomination, will be on campus today to debate the Yale Political Union on “Resolved: Government is Destroying the Family.” The debate will be at 7 p.m. in Woolsey Hall.

No debate over fitness. Online registration for exercise classes at Payne Whitney opens today at 9 a.m. The gym’s offerings include pilates, yoga, Zumba and ever-popular Spinning classes.

A long year cometh. A fire alarm went off in Morse College Sunday, the second such alarm in 10 days.

Coming soon: faster trains? A design team out of the University of Pennsylvania is suggesting that Amtrak build an 18-mile tunnel under Long Island Sound to accommodate bullet trains in the Northeast Corridor, the Hartford Courant reports. The tunnel would pop out at Milford, connecting New Haven to major Atlantic cities via trains travelling up to 220 miles per hour. It could cost up to $100 billion.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1979 Associate Professor Thomas Pangle charges that the Political Science Department unfairly denied him tenure on account of his political views.