Seven professors were awarded tenure at a Board of Permanent Officers meeting last Thursday, Yale College Dean Mary Miller said in an email to the News.

Ian Quinn, an associate professor of music, Caleb Smith, an associate professor of English, Barry McCrea, an associate professor of comparative literature and English, Beverly Gage, an associate professor of history, and Alexey Fedeorov, an associate professor of geology and geophysics, were promoted to professors with tenure.

Two others — Kirk Wetters, an associate professor of Germanic languages and literatures, and Helen Caines, an associate professor of physics — were promoted to associate professors with tenure.

Miller said in an interview last week that since the University changed its tenure policy in 2007, more faculty members are being internally promoted to tenure, especially in the humanities. Five of the seven professors promoted today are in humanities departments.

The Board of Permanent Officers is a committee of all tenured, full professors in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. It considers cases for promotions with tenure after those cases have been approved by a professor’s department and a Tenure Appointments and Promotions Committee. Only one internal case for tenure, that of associate ecology and evolutionary biology professor Suzanne Alonzo, was considered and approved at a Board of Permanent Officers meeting in December.